So I dunno what it was that made me think of all this...Oh right. Someone made a topic about Kate Bush who I have no idea who that is bu I guess she's a pop singer. Well recent pop singers named Kate makes me think of Katy Perry, who I actually kinda like. But that in turn mad me think of the pop stars I grew up with. Katy Perry can certainly sing better than Britney Spears, at least.

But this in turn reminded me of those shameful years in the late 90s/very early 2000s when I was a "TRL Kid." Remember that on MTV? Total Request Live? Listed the most popular music videos around. Eminem occasionally made it on there but it was mostly Boy Bands and Britney and Ricky Martin and some others. I swear I remember several weeks straight when the top 3 were Backstreet Boyz, N'Sync or however the smurf you spell it, 98 Degrees or someone else...

Anyway, being a young, impressionable moron, I saw how wildly popular these people were and jumped on the bandwagon. The first casettes I ever owned were Backstreet Boyz. First CD's were Britney Spears and Ricky Martin. I'm telling you all this in great shame and with the benefit of extreme hindsight but the funny thing is this.

I was huge into these people in...5th grade I think it was. So was everyone else I knew. By 7th grade, the fact I owned a Ricky Martin CD was the biggest shame of my life.smurfing two years ago everyone was dancing to that hit song of his about crazy ladies but now I have to hide this album like it's evidence I murdered someone. I trashed the CD around this time too, by the way.

Did this ever happen to you growing up? Big into something one day, horribly ashamed of it the next?