View Poll Results: how do you pronounce "schedule"?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • s-KED-ule

29 78.38%
  • SHED-ule

7 18.92%
  • I don't

1 2.70%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you pronounce "schedule"?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Well yes, obviously.

But that's no fun, especially in a thread about pronunciation.

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    Well yes, obviously.

But that's no fun, especially in a thread about pronunciation.
    Sorry, my bad.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Carnelian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    British people are right about their pronunciation for herb
    Hard H, amirite!
    There's no single "correct" way to pronounce words, really. The different standard pronunciations in all varieties of English are all equally valid.
    What I pronounce "Mr." as "eater of" and "Carnelian" as "the flesh of babies and also poo poo"? It's a Midlands thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    British people are right about their pronunciation for herb
    Hard H, amirite!
    There's no single "correct" way to pronounce words, really. The different standard pronunciations in all varieties of English are all equally valid.
    What I pronounce "Mr." as "eater of" and "Carnelian" as "the flesh of babies and also poo poo"? It's a Midlands thing.
    I also eat kittens and puppies.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Aluminum.

The most common way that I've heard "schedule" pronounced is "I don't have time for that trout". Number two would be "Schedule, my ass". It's like slang, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Aluminum.
    Obviously, you're missing an "i" there, just after the "n". Whether or not one chooses to pronounce it is dependent upon which variety of English you're speaking, as leaving the second "i" silent is standard in American English and some other varieties, but I will not waver when it comes to spelling. With spelling, there is a right way and there are wrong ways.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    There's a consonant intersected between two vowels. It's a hard U!

and uh

there is no g
    Well, I used the most simple transcription I could, because due to phonotactical processes a d combined with a yu usually becumes a dg anyway. I can change that poll to an IPA transcription, but somehow I doubt people would get the picture then

Banned

When I was in school between 1993-2005 my English teachers would insist on teaching British English (probably because Sweden is much closer to Great Britain than the United States ), so I was originally taught "shed-ule".
    However, for some reason I tend to say "s-ked-ule" nowadays, possibly because I am constantly immersed in American English on the Internet etc.

I do normally speak and write in British, though.
    I don't actually speak in a British accent or anything though, I just use British vocabulary.
    Last edited by Peter1986; 05-01-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Aluminum.
    Obviously, you're missing an "i" there, just after the "n". Whether or not one chooses to pronounce it is dependent upon which variety of English you're speaking, as leaving the second "i" silent is standard in American English and some other varieties, but I will not waver when it comes to spelling. With spelling, there is a right way and there are wrong ways.
    The first printed reference to "Aluminum" is in Sir Humphrey Davy's "Elements of Chemical Philosophy" (1812) which describes his experiments with "Aluminum". It was later changed by the Brits to conform with other elements that end with "ium". It was originally spelled "Aluminum", coined by Davy using Latin "alumen" and "alum". So, the original spelling is "Aluminum".

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    Aluminum.
    The first printed reference to "Aluminum" is in Sir Humphrey Davy's "Elements of Chemical Philosophy" (1812) which describes his experiments with "Aluminum". It was later changed by the Brits to conform with other elements that end with "ium". It was originally spelled "Aluminum", coined by Davy using Latin "alumen" and "alum". So, the original spelling is "Aluminum".
    Au contraire! The Oxford English Dictionary is very clear that there is a printed reference to "aluminium" in 1811, as reproduced below. However, it is worth noting that this refers to aluminium as a theoretical substance.

~1811 Crit. Rev. Jan. 9 The result of this experiment is not wholly decisive as to the existence of what might be called aluminium and glucinium.

Aluminum.
    Au contraire! The Oxford English Dictionary is very clear that there is a printed reference to "aluminium" in 1811, as reproduced below. However, it is worth noting that this refers to aluminium as a theoretical substance.

~1811 Crit. Rev. Jan. 9 The result of this experiment is not wholly decisive as to the existence of what might be called aluminium and glucinium.

You "cherry picked" from a Reddit post;

"And yet, the Oxford English Dictionary itself lists the first use from 1811 Crit. Rev. Jan. 9 The result of this experiment is not wholly decisive as to the existence of what might be called aluminium and glucinium.

The same dictionary entry bears the note Quot. 1811 at sense A. 1 is a review of a lecture by H. Davy delivered in 1809 and published in 1810 ( Philos. Trans. (Royal Soc.) 100 16–74). The published paper, on which the review appears to be based, does not name the new substance created by the experiments described; the ingredient alumina is referred to in the form alumine (see alumine n.).
    "

It's "Aluminum".

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Aluminium, sked-yule (but to you guys, with my accent, it probably comes across as sked-yill or sked-yull), caps-yule (similar thing goin' on), herb (hard H).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Aluminum.

You "cherry picked" from a Reddit post;

"And yet, the Oxford English Dictionary itself lists the first use from 1811 Crit. Rev. Jan. 9 The result of this experiment is not wholly decisive as to the existence of what might be called aluminium and glucinium.

The same dictionary entry bears the note Quot. 1811 at sense A. 1 is a review of a lecture by H. Davy delivered in 1809 and published in 1810 ( Philos. Trans. (Royal Soc.) 100 16–74). The published paper, on which the review appears to be based, does not name the new substance created by the experiments described; the ingredient alumina is referred to in the form alumine (see alumine n.).
    "

It's "Aluminum".
    You're right. I went back and checked, and the OED does actually say exactly that. I missed it when I looked before. Having said that, this only proves that "aluminum" was the original spelling, not that it is the CORRECT spelling for everyone. The international standard is "aluminium". However, the American Chemical Society decided upon the name "aluminum". Therfore, I concede that "aluminum" is a correct spelling, as long as you're writing in an American context.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

All you silly prescriptivist laymen, arguing over what is correct and what isn't, and I'm just here, sipping my descriptivist tea and eating popcorn because this stuff is just delightful