Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891323 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubba's Mass Effect Adventures

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Have you met conrad yet?! He's the best. He's a NPC guy in all three games.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Have you met conrad yet?! He's the best. He's a NPC guy in all three games.
    Actually, I think I have. Isn't he that proper creeper who asks for my autograph? I think I gave it to him (the autograph) because I'm vain but then he just left? I haven't seen him since

Can I assume he returns at some point? I can't even remember where I saw him!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah that's probably him. He LOVES you! You're the best

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    You're the best
    Well, I wasn't gonna be the first one to say but yeah... can't argue with that.

I'm actually a bit gutted that I'm going to Birmingham this weekend. Now I'm commander of the Normandy, I want to take her out for a spin!

Maybe I should cart my PS3 down there?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Mass Effect does a good job of having recurring characters crop up. Make sure to keep an eye on them!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Mass Effect does a good job of having recurring characters crop up. Make sure to keep an eye on them!
    I certainly will! I plan to head back to the Citadel after each system that I complete.

So I woke up at the crack of dawn this morning because my body hates me. I decided to make the most of the time by doing a workout then having a quick 30 mins on Mass Effect. I can't get enough of this game at the minute. It has me hooked!

I decided to leave the Citadel for now. Any sidequests I'll hopefully be able to pick up upon my return from my first space trip! Eager to recruit a new member, I headed for the Artemis Tau cluster and had a nice tour around the system. It is a miserable Saturday morning here in England so I thought I would head to Athens first for a bit of sunshine! Clearly the ongoing issues with the Greek economy has had an effect on tourism here as they don't allow you to smurfing land anywhere. While it was interesting learning about the five planets here I was disappointed that's all I could do

I set course for the next system which went by the name of Knossos. Again, there were five planets but only one I could actually land on! Now I know that some planets consist of gas and are impossible to land on but come on, game! Give me something! What's that? You did? Oh yes... there was one planet I could land on. Therum.

Unfortunately, all my space wandering had cut short my time. As soon as Therum materialised I had to save my progress and head off to work. This was a real shame as I'd appeared in a badass buggy that I could navigate the planet in! This just has me mega-excited to crack on with it when I'm back from my trip. Damn friends and their inconvenience

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

While the Mako sounds cool, I wish the ME series would stay away from vehicles. Whoever designed the physics of that thing deserves to be punched in the dick. Straight deserves it.

Athens is literally the only system in the whole game with no planet/spaceship to land on

Articles
    Blog Entries

Most systems have at least one landable planet, but don't go expecting every planet to be explorable.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Finally booted this bad boy back up this morning!

I was at the start of Therum on my quest for my next crew member. My initial excitement for having materialised in the cool-looking Mako Land Rover was extremely short-lived. Trying to turn this bastard around in tight spot was the equivalent trying to turn a blue whale around in a swimming pool with no water. I agree with theundeadhero and his penis-punching suggestion.

The weapons on the Mako were not amazing either. You have to be pretty damn precise with the grenade otherwise it misses entirely. Also, the machine gun is weeeeeeak. At one point I actually got out and tried to snipe the Geth from a distance. I quickly discovered that one hit from them results in instant death and from that moment, I vowed to keep Shepard's arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times.

I actually made pretty good progress before that first death. I'd taken out the few stray Geths on the road before arriving at a bunker. I took the sneaky side road to flank the place and took out all the enemies and three gun turrets with minimal damage. Also, my decryption skills are top notch now

Following my silly death, I was very cautious when proceeding even from inside my Rover. I came across a few more easily-killed Geth before coming face-to-face with (shock horror) A GETH COLOSSUS!! Honestly, after playing Shadow of the Colossus, this guy was not worthy of the name. He clearly has an inferiority complex and has just given himself a completely inappropriate macho name. He was down after two grenades.

After a couple of tunnels I was forced to ditch the Mako, squeeze through a gap and continue on foot. It was actually nice to bring the old pistol and sniper rifle back into play. There were quite a few waves of enemies that came at me and I must be a terrible commander because Garrus keeps taking loads of damage. I love the guy but I might need to change him for an out-and-out soldier at some point.

Hoo boy, am I ever glad I saved before I got to this cut-scene at the top of a hill. I'm not joking, it took me about 15 attempts at this bit with all of us getting jumped by a load of enemies and one-shot killed by these really smurfing annoying jumpy skinny-frog things. I finally figured out that I was hiding behind the wrong crate which gave them too many angles on us. I ran behind a different crate to the left and it shielded as all pretty well. Managed to take everything out finally with all my team still alive (just!)

I've just entered a new tunnel and a new environment and I'm guessing I'm not too far from the end. All my fannying about with those scrawny lizard-frog-monkeys left me short on time though. I'm eager to to meet my new team-mate though so I'll be carrying on later tonight!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

After a couple of tunnels I was forced to ditch the Mako, squeeze through a gap and continue on foot. It was actually nice to bring the old pistol and sniper rifle back into play. There were quite a few waves of enemies that came at me and I must be a terrible commander because Garrus keeps taking loads of damage. I love the guy but I might need to change him for an out-and-out soldier at some point.
    Garrus is odd because he's definitely very squishy, which I wasn't expecting. He's less tech-orientated than Tali, so she ends up having more shields than Garrus. He's pretty much a glass cannon, really.

Hoo boy, am I ever glad I saved before I got to this cut-scene at the top of a hill. I'm not joking, it took me about 15 attempts at this bit with all of us getting jumped by a load of enemies and one-shot killed by these really smurfing annoying jumpy skinny-frog things. I finally figured out that I was hiding behind the wrong crate which gave them too many angles on us. I ran behind a different crate to the left and it shielded as all pretty well. Managed to take everything out finally with all my team still alive (just!)
    Yeah, that section is very difficult. It's probably the worst for an infiltrator, as you can't really use sniper rifles against a moving target. The key with that section is to find the right cover and just hug it at all times until a hopper stops hopping for a while. It's easier to do if you've levelled a tad (as in, not go straight to Therum).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Yeah, that section is very difficult. It's probably the worst for an infiltrator, as you can't really use sniper rifles against a moving target. The key with that section is to find the right cover and just hug it at all times until a hopper stops hopping for a while. It's easier to do if you've levelled a tad (as in, not go straight to Therum).
    Hopper! That's a much better name for them. Yeah, they were doing all the damage where I was originally hiding. They could hop so quickly from one position to another and because there were two of them they kept zapping me. Hugging the left hand crate worked a treat though as they both appeared in a good position for me to shoot. I was just patient with the rest and we got the job done.

I suppose whichever system you choose to explore first will be tricky because levels are still pretty low. I'm glad I persevered with all those side quests at the Citadel!

Articles
    Blog Entries

True enough. Doing all the available sidequests in the Citadel (no matter how boring) is generally enough levels to see you through one of the main quests, though I would say Therum is probably the easiest of them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I haven't played the first one, only the second, so I don't want to spoil this for myself. Let me know when you get to 2 though

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Using tech or biotic powers on hoppers is generally the way to go. You can tell your teammates to use them too.
    Are you zooming in with the Mako for more precise shots?

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    Using tech or biotic powers on hoppers is generally the way to go. You can tell your teammates to use them too.
    Are you zooming in with the Mako for more precise shots?
    I always try to ditch the Mako when attacking things. Ever since I learned that it cuts your Exp by 90%. Always try to finish foes off on foot. You get so much more experience.