Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 48910111213141516171819202434 ... LastLast

Thread: Bubba's Mass Effect Adventures

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

This has been a good read, nice to have a long thread to catch up on during my lunch break. Cheers, Bubba.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It makes me happy that your eventual first playthrough as femshep will be renegade. Renegade femshep is best shep, with better voice acting and a more interesting story.

For ME2, I'm gonna put behind spoilers the point you want to save until everything else is finished. The game isn't exactly on rails after that, but you'll want to go through the next parts immediately afterwards or bad things happen.

ME2 trigger pointAcquiring the Reaper IFF. Do everything else you want to finish in the game before doing this mission.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Mass Effect Review

Being a loyal Playstation customer, this game passed me by when it came out in 2007. Pesky XBox360 and its exclusive games. The trilogy was released for PS3 in 2012 though and I'm surprised it took me this long to finally experience them. This game was fantastic.

Having been horribly addicted to Destiny, I noticed a lot of similarities. Basically, Bungie wanted to make a FPS/RPG game in the style of Mass Effect. The premise for both games is remarkably similar but Mass Effect has the clear edge for one reason: Detail! The Mass Effect universe is so rich and packed with information. Detailed histories of the plight of humans and introducing other fascinating races. I spent a lot of time on the codex learning about everything. Honestly, it makes the lore of Destiny look like a book for five-year-olds about a dog called Ben.

The third-person perspective appealed to me but I wasn't sure how slick the gameplay would be with it being the first one in the series. I was pleasantly surprised! OK, the sniper mechanic could have been better but overall I thought it played very well. Also, after re-starting the game three times, it's clear the classes give the game I great dynamic and encourage multiple playthroughs. I'm already looking forward to my playthrough as renegade Femshep!

The side-quests were varied in story though I was a tad disappointed with the numerous re-cycled environments. Maybe I was expecting too much but when you've seen one bunker you've seen them all. My completionist nature had me travelling to every available planet where it was a similar story each time. Land, look for materials, investigate probe, clear out bunker, done. I honestly didn't mind too much due to the different terrains but when I was eager to finish the main story it became a little tedious. The main story missions were stellar though. A great mix of action and story-telling.

I loved, loved Liara the relationship with my crew. Yes, I didn't like all of them but they were such diverse characters it made the journey so much more interesting. My opinion changed a few times with a few characters. The person I thought would be my love interest at the start I ended up hating. A character I initially despised on first meet ended up being probably the most interesting of the lot. Fantastic characterisation.

The option to play as Paragon or Renegade gave great diversity to the conversational options. Playing a paragon, I chose the higher road the majority of the time. Although in certain situations, I occasionally chose the renegade response as I felt the situation called for it. I liked having the freedom to do that as it made me feel less like a goody-two-shoes robot. I still easily maxed out my Paragon bar.

The story as a whole was fantastic, especially the end reveal on Virmire and Ilos. It left me eager for more and I'm salivating at the thought of ME2! Especially when I hear nothing but great things about it. Normally if I'm playing a trilogy or series of games back-to-back I need a little break in between games. I haven't had that at all with Mass Effect. I just want to crack on!

So yeah, overall it's one of the best games I've played in a number of years. Stay tuned to this thread as I'll be booting up the second instalment this week!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Time to move on to 2 Bubba. I finished it last week and it was quite spectacular. On to 3 for me now.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

MassEffect2_cover.PNG

...and we go again.

It's time for the second instalment in my Mass Effect Adventures. Tonight starts... begins...beginneth...just... I'l be playing it tonight, OK?

There will be action, drama, suspense, death and hopefully a bit more swapping of bodily fluid No doubt there will be plenty of Shepard deaths too... usually following a long period without saving. Again if you could avoid any spoilers for me that would be great!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm eager to hear your first impressions!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

KASUMI AND TALI BEST TEAM

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Bit of a family crisis last night so wasn't able to start. Tonight will definitely be the night though!

I'm tempted to replay Mass Effect 2 along side you. It's easily in my top 5 games of all time. Really flawless experience. The best thing Bioware has made too!

The one thing I would say is that you HAVE TO play it with the DLC. There's a lot of DLC for the second one. In total, it nearly doubles the length of the game overall. And it fits into the main game fairly seamlessly so you don't need to wait til you've finished it or anything like that. Stolen Memory, Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker are all of the same quality as the rest of the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I'm tempted to replay Mass Effect 2 along side you. It's easily in my top 5 games of all time. Really flawless experience. The best thing Bioware has made too!

The one thing I would say is that you HAVE TO play it with the DLC. There's a lot of DLC for the second one. In total, it nearly doubles the length of the game overall. And it fits into the main game fairly seamlessly so you don't need to wait til you've finished it or anything like that. Stolen Memory, Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker are all of the same quality as the rest of the game.
    Feel free, man! Be warned though, I won't be making particularly rapid progress due to family commitments. If you could avoid posting spoilers for me on here that would be great

So yeah I've had a look at the DLC content for my trilogy edition. It looks to have everything but I can't see one relating to Stolen Memory?

Quote Originally Posted by masseffect.bioware.com View Post
    On PlayStation 3, Bring Down the Sky will be included both on disc and on the PSN download, Mass Effect 2 will still have the same DLC on-disc that it was originally shipped with: Cerberus Network; Genesis; Kasumi; Overlord; and Lair of the Shadow Broker. Finally, Mass Effect 3 will also be exactly as it originally shipped.
    Can someone confirm whether this list covers them all?

Stolen Memory IS Kasumi, so you've got all the good stuff covered there for 2. There's also 'Arrival' but honestly you can do without that one. Although, if you do get Arrival, play it last (after the main game), because what happens in it leads directly into 3. Vis a vis 3, I cannot recommend getting the 'Citadel' DLC enough, it is absolutely worth it.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks Mr C!

I'm already in love with the series and I've only played the first game so you better believe I'll be getting all the available DLC.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

It's also missing Zaeed, who's a playable character I personally don't find very interesting, and the Firewalker pack, which is a couple of missions.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Eh, Zaeed is okay. I agree his character is a tad weak, but if you want the full experience he's worth getting and he reappears in ME: 3's Citadel. His loyalty mission is pretty good too. Though in terms of loyalty missions, Kasumi's knocks his and several others out of the water. Kasumi is just great in general.

The Firewalker pack gives you vehicle-based missions. They're pretty fun, though the vehicle you get has paper-thin armour which can't take much damage.

I'd get both, though by the time I played ME: 2 for the first time Mr. Carny already had them both, so I didn't really have to make a choice.

Yeah according to the amazon page, the trilogy contains all of the DLC except Arrival.

That's fine. That was probably the worst of the story DLC anyway.