Thread: The Components that make up the Game

Blog Entries

Default The Components that make up the Game

So.....

You have the following things: gameplay, story, graphics, world, character development and music

Starting from what you think is the most important, put these in order

I order them this way:

-Character development
    -story
    -gameplay
    -music
    -world
    -graphics

Over to you

Articles
    Blog Entries

- Story. Enough said.

- Character Development. Truth be told I don't think "character development" is all that important; I've seen stories that worked perfectly well with static characters. However, having "developed characters" on the other hand is extremely important. Not a lot of stories work if they don't have a great cast to back them up. I'm just going to assume this section includes this point, otherwise it'd be further down.

- Gameplay. Depending on how story-focused the game is this point is less or more important, but it must never be neglected even in story-heavy games. Worst case scenario it gets intrusive into the story experience which really sucks. Conversely, gameplay can also really enhance the immersion if done right. And of course in games that aren't story-heavy, having good gameplay gets very important very fast.

- Music. I flop back and forth on how important music is to me, but really, if there's a good soundtrack that I can listen to for a few weeks or months after I clear the game itself, said game will stick with me that much longer. It's most likely no coincidence that all of my favorite games have soundtracks I really like as well.

- World. I don't really care all that much. You can take any setting and make it work, and you can also write a story in a vague and unimportant setting and still make it work. I don't recall ever considering the world of a game a vital element in my enjoyment.

- Graphics. Whatever.