Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Western "Censorship" In Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I don't really care about this that much but I find it funny that people are acting like Japan is some paradise for sexual freedom when harassment is a HUGE issue there. Second hand account, but my best friend, who is a woman, lives in Japan and they have train carts for women only to prevent that kind of harassment. More recently she had to report the same man twice in one week for boarding women-only cart and being a creeper.

If people want to pretend there's no relationship between the media we consume and the reality we live in, they can. However, they are wrong. Our realities are often engendered in various media. Look at the issue of diversity in casting or white washing of characters and think of all the racial tension in the USA. Think of how women's body can be sexualized to sell cars, yet people will foam at the mouth if a mother breastfeeds in public! THe connections are not always obvious or direct but that does not mean there is no relationship between the two.

Edit: Should note that my friend teaches HS and was concerned for the safety of her students as well. The very fact that she had to worry indicates that there are women-only carts and that she had to worry about a creeper points to large societal issues.
    Last edited by The Summoner of Leviathan; 03-31-2016 at 07:12 AM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm glad they did it because for the longest time now, it's been proven that no game developer in japan has any idea what actually makes a character attractive to an adult person.

I'll give them a hint though. It's not panty shots on young girls, or a dress that is 50% not there.

It's not as much censorship as it is protecting the developers from humiliating themselves.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Well, considering the world is a better place to live than it had ever been, If say we can be pretty proud of ourselves
    And then people accuse me of how it's nice that I live in a world where I'm not objectified. Hah. You have nothing to be proud of. Nothing. That you would even consider saying that with a straight face is something that I find in extremely poor taste.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Of course objectification is a thing. But now we have human rights, women can vote and work and are consistently able to keep fighting for their rights, infant mortality rates have plummeted thanks to the incredible advances of medicine, and you can instantly talk with people around the world with a press of a button.

I don't think seeing a discourse that's contesting your personal opinions being dominant on a Final Fantasy fansite (or even something bigger like Twitter or Reddit or Tumblr or whatever you kids are using these days) really warrants saying the world is trout and skeletons are to blame for that.

Yes, objectification is terrible, but we're at least capable of working against it and look, game companies are listening. Just because we're living in objectively the best time period in history doesn't mean we should stop fighting to make the world even better by fixing stuff that's broken

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Hello.

Last chance.

This nonsense stops now or this thread is nuked.

Move on, talk about it privately, go discuss other things you are into.

This ends now.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I also want to emphasise that it's okay to discuss a topic, but at no point should the word "you" be thrown around so much as it has in this thread. This goes for multiple people. Always discuss the topic, not the person you are discussing it with. Any problem/issue you have with another member is not relevant to the topic and can be discussed in private with staff or the individual.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!