Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I might give this game another go

Blog Entries

Default I might give this game another go

Sometime, when I find myself in a good mood, I shall try this game again. Even if I stop short of the final dungeon like I did last time, I feel the need to immerse myself in this story as my memory of it is patchy. Does anyone else find the split party thing annoying?

FFXIV Character

Omni Odin (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post
    Sometime, when I find myself in a good mood, I shall try this game again. Even if I stop short of the final dungeon like I did last time, I feel the need to immerse myself in this story as my memory of it is patchy. Does anyone else find the split party thing annoying?
    Most definitely. I always feel like i should go back and revisit (I have beaten it) but every time I do, I don't get very far. I'm also just not much a fan of 7+ playable characters.
    Final Fantasies defeated
    Playing

I, II, III, IV, IVAY, V, VI, VII, VIIDoC, VIICC , VIII, Tactics, TA, TA2, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, XII:RW, XIII, XIII-2, XIII:LR, XIV, Type-0, XV

FavoriteToLeastFavorite : VII>X>Tactics>IX>IV>VIII>XV>VI>XII>X-2>XIII>TA2>V>XIII-2>III>I>LR:FFXIII>II

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The large cast is not really so bad, but I tend to appreciate games that make me use everyone instead of just sticking to favorites. VI is still near and dear to me, and while it has it's problems I still consider it to be one of the franchise's better entries. So good luck trying it out and I hope you see it to the end.

Blog Entries

Not making any promises.....i shall see it through...up to a point. What I wanna do is remind myself of the story. Playing FFs once never really gets me immersed in it. Ive forgotten most of it, but....I want to contribute story based threads to this forum a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post
    No, but I did find the large cast very annoying first time round playing, because it was like- who do train ? Who to ignore ?

Blog Entries

The large cast is also annoying. I do believe Bubba and Kanno are going to bear the brunt of my rants when I get to the bits I hate. I apologize in advance dudes.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

If you want to know who to ignore: Umaro, because he's constantly in berserk mode. Gau, if you're a completionist, because getting all his Rage abilities can be tedious. Cyan, because for a samurai/knight, his attacks can be underwhelming. W/ so many good magic users (see next paragraph) Strago & Relm kind of get lost in the mix.

I suggest going w/ the Figaro Bros. early on. Edgar is very powerful w/ his tools & Sabin is a good damage dealer (also in the 2nd part of the game, he's one of the few available characters early on). Celes & Terra are both very well rounded, w/ swords & magics.

Blog Entries

I remember Gau, I find him annoying. Having to search for him in the Veldt, twice. And just the random stuff he comes out with when you battle him.

I vaguely remember liking Sabin, and I have a liking for Terra but so far thats mainly image based.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think what CA described is pretty much what I did on my playthrough. In fact, I don't even remember coming across Umaru. I pretty much ignored Gau, Relm and Strago.

I need to play this again once I've finished FFII. I got right to the end of the World of Ruin and remember beating those eight dragons but never actually completed the game! I was moving house at the time of playing though and got distracted. This needs to be addressed as it's probably my second favourite entry in the franchise without even finishing it!
    Last edited by Bubba; 03-15-2016 at 11:01 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't listem to CA. You may not control Umaro, but even if you could, you'd just spam attack anyway. He is a beast with incredible damage output, and he will just keep on destroying the enemy. A mainstay in my party and seriously underrated for silly reasons.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love large casts and I do like the cast of VI. Sadly I don't like the world or the pacing so I don't play the game too often

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Umaro and Gau are both beasts when used correctly that should be main stays in your party. The other I would say late game is Setzer. And then have Edgar or Terry in the front. Honestly they make the game extremely easy in the world of ruin. Umaro really shines in the world of ruin in Kefka's tower of magic. Just be sure to be able to cast Life3 sit back and let him do his thing. Once Setzer can grab the fixed dice give him an offering and a genji glove and let him shine. Gau doesn't need every rage from the velt, but you can grab some powerful ones there that will make life easy with very little farming.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

@ Bubba: Umaro can be acquired by going back to Narshe w/ Mog. That's why you probably didn't cross paths w/ him.

Also, here's a faq on Rages via GameFAQs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/554041-...iii/faqs/35118
    10.3 & 10.4 are lists of the best rages.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post
    @ Bubba: Umaro can be acquired by going back to Narshe w/ Mog. That's why you probably didn't cross paths w/ him.
    Cheers CA. I'm probably gonna be hitting FFVI once I've finished FFII so I'll remember that.