Thread: FF Villain Opinions (SPOILERS)

Blog Entries

Moomba FF Villain Opinions (SPOILERS)

In chronological order please give your opinion of each Main Antagonist Villian youve come across as a result of playing these games:

FF4
    Zemus

yeah yeah Zeromus, (whatever name you feel like making up at the end of the game Cecil). This cowardly jackass travels from person to person so much that you start to get exasperated as to who the real villain actually is. Then it turns out to be some Lunar Essance that will only attack you if you show him a shiny thing first. BLERRRRRGH!

FF5
    X-Death

Square gets 10/10 for originality on this one. A black mage tree accidentally brought to life? I find this so cool. And unlike Zemus he's actually in it enough.

FF6
    Kefka

I can see why most fans see him as the most evil. Unlike all the others I know of, this dude starts 100 per cent human and has the most on screen appearances out of all ive played. From the very beginning you know who the real bad dude is, there no messing with us here! He personally reminds me of the Joker in Batman. But the fact that he's human for most of the game is the creepiest thing of all. Some of the things he does could actually happen in real life and thats what makes him chilling.

FF7
    Sephiroth

Part human and part science experiment gone wrong. The Kefka of this story is more Hojo than Sephiroth, but he gets a second billing to the complex being called Sephiorht and his symbiotic relationship with 'Mother' Jenova. His back story is one of tragedy involving his mother (complete with her fatal flaw of liking bad men) and Vincent.

Using Jenova, he kills one of our best main characters, which really gives you and extra incentive to send that jerk face one winged angel jerk packing. He was truly born evil thanks to Jenova, not made.

FF8
    Ultimecia

Ive never beaten this chick but I know enough about her to comment. She does what Zemus does.....only less often and.....better. A sorceress way in the future may be far removed but it works. Theres no complex Sephiroth style origin, she's just a heartless witch, sporting the kind of look you may find in a really creepy Disney film.

FF9
    Kuja

This time, the antagonist is more or less the protagonists brother. And youve gotta question how screwed up the minds of the citizens of Terra were to begin with. So desperate for life they'd create a bunch of evil stuff in order to survive. This act of pure selfishness gave rise to Kuja, who thought he was better than that. But in the end, he wasnt immortal as he once thought. I believe he dies at the end, theres more evidence to suggest this than anything else. But....what I found interesting here is that, unlike any other FF Villain he shows remorse at the very end. And Zidane....his brother...forgives him. Thats mighty interesting.

FF10
    Sin/Jecht/Seymour

Its another family affair (kind of). Jecht never meant to become Sin. he just ended up buying into a hokey religion. In this one, the being Sin is so far removed from anything we would understand otherwise, that Jecht has to be part of this. Not as sure about Seymour. The best bit is that you think he might be an okay guy to begin with, then they twist it. Seymour is taking after his Golden Era predecessors as the long light-haired antagonist. He is a bit of an annoyance. And so very very easy to beat when you catch onto his little game, particularly when he's placed himself within Sin.

Bit of a risk, splitting up the main antagonists into more than one this way. Focus is slightly lost.

FF10-2
    Shuyin/Vegagun

So...yet another big bad....thing is an antagonist. This time a machina! And lets not forget that organ playing Tidus lookalike who in flashback is involved in some kind of retelling of Romeo and Juliet. I like how this particular antagonist is quieted in the end, an angry spirit with unfinished business is what this one boils down to.

What are your opinions?
    Last edited by Midgar Mist; 04-03-2016 at 02:25 PM.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

The Original also had Garland who the light Warriors whipped. The fiends brought him back to the past that made him Chaos. He was like Jecht where he didnt go out to become the bad guy, but rather became one out of circumstances.

I'll always think of Lady Yunalesca as the main villain of FFX, Seymour's final (and redundant) fight not withstanding. Seymour is just like Dalton in Chrono Trigger, an antagonist you fight over and over throughout the game but who in the end is not really the one behind everything that the party must overcome. Yunalesca on the other hand...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egami View Post
    I'll always think of Lady Yunalesca as the main villain of FFX, Seymour's final (and redundant) fight not withstanding. Seymour is just like Dalton in Chrono Trigger, an antagonist you fight over and over throughout the game but who in the end is not really the one behind everything that the party must overcome. Yunalesca on the other hand...
    Ive not thought of it like that before, she's alot to do with it. I see Yu Yevon as being the main villain, but he's one of those villains you only find out about near the end. I dont buy the opinion that Jecht is a villain really because, he was a victim, just like anyone else who gave up their lives to become a fayth. And being a crap father isnt enough to make him a villain, not by Final Fantasy standards anyway.

I think 10 has the most complex set of antagonists out of all the ones ive played.

Hm...

Xande: Barely exists or is discussed, so much for the great "first villain with a real explanation why he's evil."

FFVII: Sephiroth's threat is built up perfectly and Nibelheim Flashback is a highlight of the whole game. Sadly, his change in personality and motivation makes no real sense and is never explained.

FFVIII: Ultimecia has no character. She is the Zemus of FFVII. All attempts to read more into her personality is a laughable endeavor because her "motives" are based on Xande-like "one line here, another line here" and nothing more. She's just evil and stupid.

FFIX:Kuja is possibly the best FF villain ever. Sensible backstory, good characterization, memorable design. He also never truly lost as he killed the party in the final battle. Gotta give him points for that.

FFXII: I'm not sure who the main villain is here. Vayne? Venat? I preferred Dr. Cid, anyway. Great voice-actor, great dynamic with his son.

FFXIII: Barthandelus really had potential. The fal'Cie being the real slaves is an interesting plot point. It's just that no character besides the playable ones are allowed any real screentime or focus. He has a good voice and was a wonderful troll, though.

FFXIII-2: I smurfing love Caius. Great motivation, great voice, great music. My main complaints would be the fact he's actually not in the game enough and his sword looks dumb. It shouldn't even be a sword, just some sort of "arm-weapon" ya know? But yes, I love his lore and understand why he is doing what he's doing all too well.