Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Final Fantasy XV demo is live!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Carbuncle is adorable

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    Curious how whimsical it was though, especially as this will be the first impression for people who didn't play Episode Duscae.
    Yeah and it is one of the reasons why, even tho I did enjoy the demo, I don't think it is a good marketing tool for the full game. It would have been better if they updated Duscae once more, added some of the weather/time changing plates across the field (so that people can play with the engine) and also added the new combat and controls that we have in the Platinum demo. That would have been a much better experience as a first impression for first timers and people who are only casually aquianted with the series, it would also have been more representative of the final game.

The Platinum Demo doesn't even ends with a trailer for the game or a "things to come" segment like Duscae did; it just asks you if you want to pre-order the game and honeslty the regular person that was just browsing the PSN store, saw FFXV and clicked on "try free demo" to play Platinum, I am not convinced that the demo as is makes the game justice or hypes said person to want the game (like Duscae did).

The Platinum Demo is something that seems more aimed for fans that have been following the game for years. But for my part, I don't need to be sold on the game, I already am and I pre-ordered a Deluxe Edition as soon as they became available after the event and before I played this demo. But for the non-FF fan, which Greg Miller was representing in the event, I don't feel this demo does FFXV justice.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I have to disagree Egami, while the Duscae demo gives you a better idea of what FFXV will probably be about and how it will play (though the finished product may end up being radically different in that part as Tababta has hinted it may be) I feel the Platinum Demo did more to make one curious about the series. It basically makes you ask questions and gives you just enough information to keep you curious whereas the Duscae demo convinced enough people what to expect.

I feel a demo is really more of the interactive mediums version of the film trailer and basically the original demo gave away too much while the new demo is that cool teaser trailer that is just so weird and out there that you can't help but be curious about it.

I tried it last night. I still feel "meh" about this game.

The combat in the demo feels really boring. I know that the final version of the game is sure to have more variety and strategy, but the enemies in this are weak and boring. They didn't even seem to strike back at me, and preferred running away. I understand the limited selection of weapons, this is a demo after all, but there didn't seem to be a reason to use one instead of another. They could be different, but this was not even explained so I didn't see their unique purposes.

The dreamworld seemed whimsical, sure, but not particularly original.

And the visuals looked bad. Really bad. Isn't this on the PS4? A lot of things looked very blurry and the Noct's hair doesn't look right.

If this is more of a "tech demo" than a "gameplay demo" then I can forgive the combat... to a point. But if it's a tech demo then that makes the blurriness and bad visual quality even harder to forgive.

I can't even say I don't like it. It's just "meh" to me.

I have to say I found it a bit meh as well. I disagree about the visuals, I thought they were stunning, but it didn't really give much of a feel of what the game would be like. I don't know why Episode Duscae was such a limited release. Maybe the game wasn't finished enough? Or they really just wanted people to buy Type-0. I'm a little disappointed I haven't had the chance to play it but I'm not prepared to buy Type-0 yet. Maybe when it's super cheap.
    Owl's Tea Party - Final Fantasy and video game plushies and crafts

Just finished: Wind-up Ixion - FFXIV
    In progress: Avion - Shadow of the Colossus

Etsy store