Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can it sell 10 million??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Default Can it sell 10 million??

If you have been frequenting gaming news sites over the last few days you've probably seen the story that some of FFXV's development staff have stated the game needs to sell 10 million units to be a success. They later came out and clarified that was merely an "internal objective" but I would not be surprised if that is SE's expectation. The game has been in development for so long and if you add up all the press over the years, the Uncovered event, the anime, the movie and development costs it makes sense.

This is also the same company that was disappointed when Tomb Raider sold 3.5 million in it's first month when they were expecting to sell around 5-6 million. Which led to Microsoft footing some of the bill for the sequel.

I normally don't concern myself with sales but there is a part of me that worries Square could go the way of Konami, but instead of Pachinko machines they will focus on mobile development if they don't rake in enough cash from the huge big budget mainline FF games we're so used to receiving. I love FF XV's direction and I want to see more of this from SE!

FF SALES.png

So these are the sales of the Final Fantasy games from highest to lowest (worldwide number is on the far right, so VII sold 9.72 million) If you had asked me a year ago if I thought XV could reach VII's numbers i would of laughed in your face. However the gaming industry is a lot bigger than it was in 1997, the game is also multiplatform. Hell even The Witcher 3 is over 5 million units and that game is super niche.

So, over the next couple years, do you think it will be able to hit the 10 million mark?
    Last edited by Tyson; 04-02-2016 at 08:57 AM.