Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can it sell 10 million??

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Default Can it sell 10 million??

If you have been frequenting gaming news sites over the last few days you've probably seen the story that some of FFXV's development staff have stated the game needs to sell 10 million units to be a success. They later came out and clarified that was merely an "internal objective" but I would not be surprised if that is SE's expectation. The game has been in development for so long and if you add up all the press over the years, the Uncovered event, the anime, the movie and development costs it makes sense.

This is also the same company that was disappointed when Tomb Raider sold 3.5 million in it's first month when they were expecting to sell around 5-6 million. Which led to Microsoft footing some of the bill for the sequel.

I normally don't concern myself with sales but there is a part of me that worries Square could go the way of Konami, but instead of Pachinko machines they will focus on mobile development if they don't rake in enough cash from the huge big budget mainline FF games we're so used to receiving. I love FF XV's direction and I want to see more of this from SE!

FF SALES.png

So these are the sales of the Final Fantasy games from highest to lowest (worldwide number is on the far right, so VII sold 9.72 million) If you had asked me a year ago if I thought XV could reach VII's numbers i would of laughed in your face. However the gaming industry is a lot bigger than it was in 1997, the game is also multiplatform. Hell even The Witcher 3 is over 5 million units and that game is super niche.

So, over the next couple years, do you think it will be able to hit the 10 million mark?
    Last edited by Tyson; 04-02-2016 at 08:57 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

The Witcher is anything but niche nowadays, though.

Still, I think they can do it. Considering how fast the Ultimate Edition sold out, I'd say it's on the right track.

FFXIV Character

Tyson Ferrari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    It is definitely more popular than it was when Witcher 2 came out, I still gotta imagine the brand recognition is nowhere near Final Fantasy.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would clarify that the overall numbers for the FF sales count ports, and releases as well so VII's number also involves the PSN and Steam sales and considering the game has such great word of mouth it easily had good sales but those numbers still mean the most popular entry in the franchise take nineteen years to obtain.

XV is probably not going to reach those types of sales number, regardless of word of mouth, but I do believe it will sell pretty well regardless just doubtful it will reach those numbers. It doesn't help it's being released in a time where the franchise's credibility is still recovering among the fanbase, something that is not lost on Tabata and the development team, so it will be very interesting to see how the game fares in September.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    It is definitely more popular than it was when Witcher 2 came out, I still gotta imagine the brand recognition is nowhere near Final Fantasy.
    It was also a highly critically acclaimed game. Brand recognition will only get you so far. To break those kind of numbers the game actually has to be good. FFVII did not break records because it was a FF game. It's because it was great.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I think it will have to receive stellar early reception to pull it off.

It's unlikely though. Very few games manage to pull off 10 million+ sales. Even of the most famous franchises in video gaming (including FF) breaking ten million sales is extremely rare.

Has there even been a JRPG that's managed to do it? FFVII took thirteen years to break 10 million sales, so I'd hardly say it counts.
    I like Kung-Fu.

I think it is doubtful. My guess is that it sells right around 6 million over ten years.

I'm skeptical of 10 million.

I think it'll probably do similarly to FF8, FF10 and FF13, so about 7-8 million.

It'll depend massively on how good it is though. This series isn't a definite purchase for me like it used to be so it will depend on how well it reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post

Has there even been a JRPG that's managed to do it? FFVII took thirteen years to break 10 million sales, so I'd hardly say it counts.
    Except for FF7, just Pokemon games. Which I realise most people don't even consider as JRPGs, but they pretty much are.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think it will sell less than FFXIII, unless it receives 9-10 scores across the board.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Well, this game has a more ARPG battle format so it's going to naturally be a turnoff to some of the lovers of the FF series, so it's going to lessen some sales. Already seen some FF fans not be into this game and are waiting for World of Final Fantasy instead.

Though, on the other hand, it's going to bring newer fans into the series who might of been not into the FF series before.

Only the future has the answer.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

Will it reach 10m? Probably not, but it is also a long term goal so who knows maybe it will in another decade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    If you have been frequenting gaming news sites over the last few days you've probably seen the story that some of FFXV's development staff have stated the game needs to sell 10 million units to be a success. They later came out and clarified that was merely an "internal objective" but I would not be surprised if that is SE's expectation. The game has been in development for so long and if you add up all the press over the years, the Uncovered event, the anime, the movie and development costs it makes sense.

This is also the same company that was disappointed when Tomb Raider sold 3.5 million in it's first month when they were expecting to sell around 5-6 million. Which led to Microsoft footing some of the bill for the sequel.

I normally don't concern myself with sales but there is a part of me that worries Square could go the way of Konami, but instead of Pachinko machines they will focus on mobile development if they don't rake in enough cash from the huge big budget mainline FF games we're so used to receiving. I love FF XV's direction and I want to see more of this from SE!

FF SALES.png

So these are the sales of the Final Fantasy games from highest to lowest (worldwide number is on the far right, so VII sold 9.72 million) If you had asked me a year ago if I thought XV could reach VII's numbers i would of laughed in your face. However the gaming industry is a lot bigger than it was in 1997, the game is also multiplatform. Hell even The Witcher 3 is over 5 million units and that game is super niche.

So, over the next couple years, do you think it will be able to hit the 10 million mark?
    No

You know, I think it just might. From what I have seen so far XV is looking like the most ambitious Final Fantasy yet. It also seems like they're truly adhering to modern design principles now. They tried to modernize FF with XIII but it turned out with awkward and confused design, but this doesn't seem to be the case for FFXV. Still, XIII still managed to sell 7 million in its lifetime. There are some complications though like Japanese consumers abandoning home consoles; Japanese sales have always been a large percentage of FF sales. But I think with the hype, marketing, and the design choices they're making with XV it has potential to be the best selling FF game yet.
    Lamia's Tiara- Headgear in FFIX
    Lamia's Flute- Weapon for Eiko in FFIX
    Lamia in FFV- a enemy
    appearance: a lady with long brown hair, wearing a tiara...half woman and half snake.
    Lamia in FF3j- A Harp
    Lamia in FFL2- An enemy
    FF2j Queen Lamia, at one point she even gets Frionel in a bedroom with her and jumps on the bed and says "take me!".. before she turns into her snakey self. She serves as a mini boss in this game (as Queen Lamia).. and after you fight her as a mini boss, regular lamia's become random foes and later on in the game, Queen Lamia's become random foes as well.
    LamiaScl. an item that paralyzes foes.
    According to legend, she was once a Libyan queen (or princess) who fell in love with Zeus. Zeus' jealous wife Hera deformed her into a monster and murdered their offspring. She also made Lamia unable to close her eyes, so that she couldn't find any rest from the obsessing image of her dead children. When Zeus saw what had be done to Lamia, he felt pity for her and gave his former lover a gift: she could remove her eyes, and then put them on again. This way, though sleepless, she could rest from her misfortune. Lamia envied other the other mothers and took her vengeance by stealing their children and devouring them.

Considering how over 40 million PS4 units have sold thus far, it is possible that FFXV reaches that goal mark. The marketing has been getting pushed harder and harder as the release date gets closer. When was the last time a mainline FF game got this much marketing if you exclude the online ones? The only one I can think of FFVII to be honest. None of the other titles had their own short anime besides FFVII and FFXV at this point. Only FFVII and FFXV have a CGI movie taking place at some point in the story. If i'm wrong on all of this, please correct me.
    "I'm seeing it clearer/Hating the picture in the mirror/They claim we inferior/So why the f**k these devils fear ya?/I'm watching my nation die genocide the cause/Expect a blood bath/The aftermath is y'alls/I told ya last album, we need help cause we dying/Give us a chance, help us advance cause we trying/Ignore my whole plea, watching us in disgust/And then they beg when my guns bust/They don't give a f**k about us" 2pac ft. Outlawz- "They Don't Give a F**k About Us"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Probably. I think there are enough fans that either really want to play it, or are marginally interested to buy it. Alienating their female fanbase was a poor move if they really NEED this game to succeed, though.

Also, it probably won't sell 10 million copies right away. So I guess that's a factor as well--how long they have to sell 10 million.
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.