Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can it sell 10 million??

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If it becomes critically and socially acclaimed (ie, is genuinely good according to the masses) then I think it will do better than FFXIII, which garnered 7.5m based on the table in the opening post of the thread. 10m, I think, is a good target but not a good requirement to be considered a success.

Sidenot: I always find it odd that sales for FFXIV are listed so low when there are allegedly 5m accounts created for it. I wonder if the sales are only for physical copies and not downloads.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I think it can make it. Especially if they eventually do a PC release. The amount of marketing this game has is crazy.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ffamran mied Bunansa View Post
    I think it can make it. Especially if they eventually do a PC release. The amount of marketing this game has is crazy.
    Yeah, if they keep a strong marketing campaign going to where even non fans knows this game is coming out they might be able to pull it off.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Given the unbelievable hype they created at the Uncovered event, even if they don't reach that goal, I don't see what else they could do at this point to increase sales.

Between an anime, a CGI movie on the scale of Advent Children, and the triple digit collectors edition that sold out in under a day, I'd say the effort they put in has been reflected well thus far in the pre-sales.

Blog Entries

XV looks to be the most promising FF in a while. I think I'll probably get it once it's released on PC. I don't think I've said that about a FF game in about a decade. XII was OK but otherwise there hasn't been one since 8 or 9 that I was actually excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I would clarify that the overall numbers for the FF sales count ports, and releases as well so VII's number also involves the PSN and Steam sales and considering the game has such great word of mouth it easily had good sales but those numbers still mean the most popular entry in the franchise take nineteen years to obtain.
    That's not true for the VGChartz numbers. Those are retail copies of the original game only. The FF7 numbers have been the same on there for years.
    On top of those numbers, it sold a million on steam (http://steamspy.com/app/39140) and god knows how many on the various PSN stores and now on cellphones. So FF7 is probably around 12 million sales now.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I would clarify that the overall numbers for the FF sales count ports, and releases as well so VII's number also involves the PSN and Steam sales and considering the game has such great word of mouth it easily had good sales but those numbers still mean the most popular entry in the franchise take nineteen years to obtain.
    That's not true for the VGChartz numbers. Those are retail copies of the original game only. The FF7 numbers have been the same on there for years.
    On top of those numbers, it sold a million on steam (http://steamspy.com/app/39140) and god knows how many on the various PSN stores and now on cellphones. So FF7 is probably around 12 million sales now.
    Looks like I was wrong on that bit of info, but my point was that even VII didn't reach those numbers in the first year of its release. As it stands, the closest actual total sales numbers I can find is around 11 million units sold as of 2015, so 12 million may not be too far off by today.

With that said, it will be interesting to see if FFXV will be good enough to have that kind of lasting power.

Yeah well FF7 was one of those games that rode on a wave of gossip for quite a while. So many people were talking about it. I remember everyone who liked games in my class at school was talking about, even though none of us knew what it was (no previous FF games in Europe recall). They just really successfully marketed it as a kind of "this is a big deal" thing.