Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Star Wars Video Game

For me the original KOTOR beats the sequel - I have played through KOTOR 2 in both it's original Xbox form and the full modded version on PC (along with the M4-78 mod) and though having the extra content helped, I still feel that KOTOR is the more complete game. It has a more fleshed out romance option a la typical Bioware, and even though the story is a much more straightforward Star Wars tale it tells it well. I enjoy Obsidian's work in general (I'm playing through Fallout New Vegas right now) and it's unfortunate that they were rushed in KOTOR's 2 completion - clearly the Restoration helps. II has a more dense, slow-paced sci-fi feel, almost reminding me of Star Trek or classic Who (nothing wrong with that of course)! I do agree with Sephex that the twist was a bit weaker though.

One thing I really would have liked to see in the original KOTOR was more of a focus for characters that start out on the Light Side and are corrupted and turn to the Dark Side, based on player choices. The morality in KOTOR 2 is an interesting take on the Star Wars universe, and I'm glad we have that interpretation. Never being able to please Kreia was a bit annoying, though I think the influence system in general was a pretty neat idea. I ended up zooming through my last playthrough and was unable to influence the characters I wanted to, despite having the modded version to add to my playthrough length. Probably the coolest scene that was restored was Atton's comments to the female Exile if he survives his fight with Darth Sion (to manage that I just used Stealth and mined the whole area around him).

Other contenders are the classic shooters like Dark Forces and Jedi Knight - I also have the Psx version of the Phatom Menace game, which I still have a soft spot for. But if you're looking for an expansion of the Star Wars lore and a more indepth look at the Jedi Academy in a different part of Star Wars history, you can't beat the two KOTORs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Knights of the Old Republic.

Hm, that was easy.