Thread: The BFG

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Default The BFG

No, not the BFG you shoot stuff with, the Roald Dahl one! Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0Bey4YUGI

Not sure about the CGI on first impressions. Hope it's good though, it's a lovely story and I like Spielberg.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Cautiously optimistic! I love this story.

I loved the first terrible animated movie though, so maybe my opinions aren't great.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Saw a trailers in cinemas when waiting for Zootopia/Tropolis/Mania (it's silly, I know). It seems... alright. The CGI seems questionable in my opinion, and it didn't really grab me. Could be wrong though.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I thought this was going to be about a big freaking gun
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I liked the book and the cartoon as a kid, so this looks pretty cool to me.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's weird. I only actually read the book and watched the cartoon last year. MissH has the entire Roald Dahl collection and this was one of her favourites. I thought the book was absolutely lovely and the animation was pretty good.

Honestly, the trailer was pretty scary for a kids film. I'd have nightmares about a giant hand reaching through the window and snatching me if I was a child. I was happy with the face of the BFG though which was important they got right.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember liking the book when I was younger. MAN that was a boring trailer though.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Looks alright.

Speilberg really gives me faith in it.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I saw it, and I enjoyed it. I have been exposed to three versions of The BFG now; the book, the animated movie, and now this.

It was very well put together for the most part, and there were some lines that I remember being in the book (or possibly the animation, or both, but I'll have to check). The way the locations were designed was done nicely, with Dream Country looking very beautiful. There were of course changes, which I am fine with (I am officially okay with writers of remakes doing their own thing, because it is their version), and my only real criticisms are that the bad giants seemed too dumbed down (the Fleshlumpeater visits the BFG because he "has a boo-boo"?), and the way they were dealt with in the ending involved doing two different things, which made the first thing completely unnecessary.

(SPOILER)What they basically did, was they kept both the plan from both versions of sending the giants to somewhere where they can no longer harm any humans, and the idea of giving them a nightmare (this was done to the Fleshlumpeater only in both the book and the animation, but it was the latter that incorporated it into the big plan), in this movie, the nightmare is given to all the giants, but rather than be a nightmare loosely based on Jack and the Beanstalk it is a nightmare to make them feel guilty for eating humans, which ends up being pointless, because they are still captured, and sent away anyway. So why guilt them into never eating humans again, if you're just going to stop them by force anyway?

I suppose them being sent away could simply be their punishment, and it will be more of one because they genuinely feel bad about it, but still it seems like an odd change.