Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Not being into something is not quite hater level.

There are some critics who have had strong dislike for the direction Rogue One takes compared to the main series, but for the most part it sounds like they expected the same thing they got in Force Awakens even though this is a spinoff and set in a different period.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I heard a lot of people hating for the fact of claims on the ending as a slam politically. I myself if it was like that on either side right or left would consider skipping it then as I like neutral entertainment, however if it was my favourite series I really don't see that stopping me from enjoying a fictional story. I think people are reading far to much into it if that would be a deal breaker.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Something I love about this movie (haven't seen it but) is that it's extended universe Star Wars in a mainstream media (as opposed to kid's shows, comics, books, etc).

I find that really, really appealing. Hopefully if it makes enough money (HA) and gets good enough reviews (this one is less clear cut), we'll get more EU stuff. MAYBE EVEN A NETFLIX SHOW. :hearteyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Very solid Star Wars movie that adds a sentimental touch to A New Hope. We'll never be able to watch ANH the same way again! Vader provided a terrifying presence in a way we've never seen him.

My only gripe with this movie overall is that Jin is pretty much the ONLY female character in the whole thing. Yes, yes, we see others but the entire rebel team is made up of dudes. Said dudes are all fantastic, but would it have killed them to add in a couple more women to the main band? This just seems to annoy me more because of all the folks out there boycotting the movie because of the female lead - she's basically the only woman in it. Her character was very well done though, but we still have a way to go with female representation even in our Star Wars movies.

EDIT: I appreciated the nod to Rebels!

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

(SPOILER) I think a better subtitle for the film would be Everybody Dies at the End! Decent film, great last half-hour, probably worth it for one line from Donnie Yen alone (plus that Vader scene near the end)
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Me and Formy saw it last night, really enjoyed it. I was sceptical going in, but it really won me over. Bravo!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Just got back from seeing it. It was good but I hated how (SPOILER)everyone died at the end.

My favorite part was the (SPOILER)C-3PO and R2-D2 cameo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Just got back from seeing it. It was good but I hated how (SPOILER)everyone died at the end.
    You and me both. The last third felt like having my heart stabbed multiple times. Yet all the same, I loved it.

As for the rest of the film? The final third was the best, but the rest of the film was good all the way through. Honestly, I feel as if the middle was the weakest section (the bit at the rainy base). The emotional intention didn't quite work. My favourite scene though was pretty much all of Jedha. It really shows a slice of grey and grey morality. That one shot of that crying child in the middle of a battlefield was pretty haunting.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    I actually loved that. Yeah it's sad, but the destruction of the death star in IV is a lot more meaningful knowing what it took to get the plans. (SPOILER)sure the destruction of Alderaan is supposed to make things satisfying on its own, but all it really did was show that the empire is evil since we have zero emotional connection to it when it happens. Before we only cared because empire evil and wanting to see the heroes win. Now we've got great characters and an entire fleet that died to get those plans. It hits us hard now and makes that moment in IV all the more satisfying.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Probably just as well George Lucas isn't in charge any more, otherwise I'd see him changing the final scene of Star Wars (as in Episode IV) to (SPOILER)include some memorial photos of the Rogue One team in the victory ceremony
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Just got in. It was pretty good, and I liked how they tried to have a bit of a moral grey area which is fairly new for a Star Wars movie. Still, a bit overly filled with clichés and pointless references for my liking.

(SPOILER)I mean, yes I KNOW it leads onto A New Hope thanks, you don't have to randomly show me those dudes that show up in Mos Eisley cantina. Especially because you show them in a city that gets blown up by the Death Star so you've introduced a pointless continuity problem. And any scene with C-3P0 in it is a bad scene unless you have other characters around acknowledging what an annoying character he is. *grumble grumble*

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Finally got around to seeing it. It's an exhilarating action spectacle and is actually pretty brutal. Not much more depth to it than that. Which is fine, it is what it is.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Saw it yesterday & enjoyed it. I liked the droid, K-2SO, and Jyn. W/o giving anything away, I liked how it connected w/ A New Hope. Also nice to see Star Wars cover a grey moral area instead of just Light v. Dark.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I really enjoyed it, though I do agree that the bit on the rainy planet (I forgot the name of it) was probably the weakest part of the film. I'm also (SPOILER)pretty amazed that it got me to care about so many characters and react to them being killed off (which really, was innevitable, it was a suicide mission after all). The combat sequences were really good too. I definitely place this above the Force Awakens. Possibly even above Ep I-III too.

I know a lot of people have issues with the CG Leia and Tarkin, but I thought they were pretty well done. (SPOILER)Leia at the end especially was a nice touch.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Finally got around to seeing it. It's an exhilarating action spectacle and is actually pretty brutal. Not much more depth to it than that. Which is fine, it is what it is.
    My thoughts too. I like more from my Star Wars but hey, it was always a spinoff so good for them for doing it a different way.

CG Tarkin was so good my wife thought they had just found a different actor who looked like him. Leia was a little too much uncanny valley for my liking.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum