Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I just got to see this, this past weekend. Saw it in IMAX 3D which made it even more neat.

K2S0 was the best. I want a sassy robot too... must be a thing cause R2 is sassy as well. Disney is knocking it out if the park when it comes to making me love their new droids though. K2 and BB8

The ending with (SPOILER) carrie made me extremely sad. I didn't know that was going to be a thing and it was sad but bittersweet. Her character says "hope" and well, okay it made me emotional.

The movie itself didn't seem too cohesive to me, plot wise. Seemed like it was just kinda... there.

The second act I think was the weakest, felt like the whole edu thing could have been skipped mostly. Loved the third act though.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    CG Tarkin was so good my wife thought they had just found a different actor who looked like him. Leia was a little too much uncanny valley for my liking.
    If I didn't already know Peter Cushing had been dead forever, I'd've think he was kept in cryogenically frozen. Leia's CG was a little cartoonish, but maybe they didn't put as much work in it as she only had a small part.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Saw it twice.

It has its problems, but overall it is a solid Star Wars movie. I think I like it/have no real qualms with the film because it felt exactly how I thought it would feel. Oddly enough, I had more fun watching it a second time and connected to the characters a bit better. That was a pretty unique feeling for me.

I thought the CG faces in general were a bit off, but it didn't pull me out of the movie. Like most people, I love the third act of the movie and especially the, erm, end sequence. Without spoiling anything I'll just say while it was a bit over the top, it showcased a character in a way that strangers would see the character.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually recognized immediately that Tarkin was CG (not just because I knew Cushing was dead), but I will say it was probably the single best example of photorealistic CGI I've ever seen. That was some seriously well done integration with the actual live footage. Which makes me happy because anything less than the quality they had would have looked absolutely horrendous and they would have been better off with a look alike/different character.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Like most people, I love the third act of the movie and especially the, erm, end sequence. Without spoiling anything I'll just say while it was a bit over the top, it showcased a character in a way that strangers would see the character.
    Oh yes. That part was the highlight of the movie for me. (SPOILER)Darth Vader stole every scene he was in.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The last scene with him in particular. It actually gave a sense of how intimidating and terrifying he truly is. Very well done.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    I actually recognized immediately that Tarkin was CG (not just because I knew Cushing was dead), but I will say it was probably the single best example of photorealistic CGI I've ever seen. That was some seriously well done integration with the actual live footage. Which makes me happy because anything less than the quality they had would have looked absolutely horrendous and they would have been better off with a look alike/different character.
    You watched Westworld, right? The scene with "young" Anthony Humpkins was fantastic. If I didn't know, I wouldn't have known.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    You watched Westworld, right? The scene with "young" Anthony Humpkins was fantastic. If I didn't know, I wouldn't have known.
    wait what? That was CGI?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    The last scene with him in particular. It actually gave a sense of how intimidating and terrifying he truly is. Very well done.
    Think how dramatic he is on that scene. He's got all these lights and bleep bleeps on his front panel, and just for dramatic effect he turns it all off so when he goes WHOOOSH in the darkness you only see his saber. All to spook them haha.

Then again, he's kinda king of drama. He has a castle on a lava world, for goodness sakes.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Eh, it was pretty good. Better than I expected from a tv show, even one on HBO, but it didn't wow me. But I tend not to be impressed with the whole de-aging thing in general. Not to say it doesn't work, but when it's the face of a well known actor like that I find it easier to spot the flaws in it. They made everything about his young face feel too soft which, admittedly, everyone always does when they do that effect, but it always looks unnatural to me. Like a crappy photoshop job in a way but I give them more leeway because that isn't easy to pull off in an actual film. But they at least had a living Anthony Hopkins to work with which actually makes the Cushing clone even more impressive.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Think how dramatic he is on that scene. He's got all these lights and bleep bleeps on his front panel, and just for dramatic effect he turns it all off so when he goes WHOOOSH in the darkness you only see his saber. All to spook them haha.

Then again, he's kinda king of drama. He has a castle on a lava world, for goodness sakes.
    Well I guess the spoiler tag was irrelevant since there's really only one character we could be talking about. Spoilers throughout the rest of this.

Loved that he made the director go to a lava world to talk to him. Loved that entire scene. He's so intimidating and confident. But the fight scene was the best. In the original trilogy, he only fights Obi-Wan and Luke which are very emotional battles for him and so obviously he's holding back. We've never seen him in full Vader costume showing the wrath he was known for throughout the galaxy. The scene was perfect, and the fact that it mimicked the opening of A New Hope in the framing of it was a nice touch.

I will say, the attempt to link it to the opening of A New Hope was kind of odd, but it's not their fault since there wasn't a lot of logic for them to work with. Like, why was Leia in that ship just sitting there during the battle? Also, why was she going to Tatooine instead just lightspeeding it to Alderaan? Just to pick up Kenobi? Seems like an odd decision in the heat of a battle.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Was talking to a friend about this yesterday but I'd be totally cool with a movie that's just Darth Vader hunting down any of the Jedi that escaped the clone extermination from Episode 3. Given how much of a whiny little ass he was in the prequels I think this movie did a lot to fix that and I wouldn't mind seeing him slaughtering some actual Jedi instead of children.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'd watch that too. There's never been anything from the Empire's perspective except in some of the novels and comics. I thought Lost Stars did a good job of this (YA romance stuff aside). I'm actually much more interested in seeing more on the Empire's rise between Revenge of the Sith and Rogue One than I am for a Han Solo origin movie. They could build on Rogue One by having some of the older characters in that film make an appearance as younger selves, particularly Tarkin and Donnie Yen's character.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I loved that end sequence as well; just a corridor of pain, and it works so well.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There is a lot of good Vader action in the Rebels series!