Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Rogue One

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I need to get around to watching that soon. The girlfriend has been telling me how great it is.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I've been actually slowly but surely watching the Clone Wars series because I heard good things about it. I went in knowing the early stuff gets a little too much into the "kids show" feel. I've heard it gets a lot better from the second/third season on, but I am near the end of the first season and there have been pretty compelling episodes. I also like how Anakin Skywalker is handled. Hayden Christensen did the best he could with what he was given (Lucas screwed the pooch with directing and dialogue; Hayden guy can only do so much), but the way the show portrays Anakin is great. It's cool to see a mature, likable Jedi in his prime. And it makes what eventually happens to Anakin all that much more tragic.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    I've been actually slowly but surely watching the Clone Wars series because I heard good things about it. I went in knowing the early stuff gets a little too much into the "kids show" feel. I've heard it gets a lot better from the second/third season on, but I am near the end of the first season and there have been pretty compelling episodes. I also like how Anakin Skywalker is handled. Hayden Christensen did the best he could with what he was given (Lucas screwed the pooch with directing and dialogue; Hayden guy can only do so much), but the way the show portrays Anakin is great. It's cool to see a mature, likable Jedi in his prime. And it makes what eventually happens to Anakin all that much more tragic.
    AND AHSOKA IS IN CLONE WARS TOO AND THEY ARE THE CUTEST TOGETHER.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wasn't too sure about her at first, but I like her more and more as I watch the show.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Just saw it today. Going in I knew everyone died, but it didn't lessen the impact. We didn't get a whole lot of character background, but that's okay. The movie did an exceptional job with connecting you emotionally to these characters who were sent to slaughter.

I agree that I'll never watch A New Hope the same way. Despite its faults, it was a beautiful movie, and I think knowing they all died in the end made me appreciate everything they did even more. Even though they're forgotten to time, it doesn't matter their names or how they died. It just mattered that they lived, and because of them, millions and billions of people lived too.

Also holy trout that charged elevator look between Cassian and Jyn.

I'm glad the romance in the movie was understated, though. Not because ~feminism~ (hello bad ass women fall in love and that doesn't make what they do any less bad ass) but more because since the movie was about sacrificing yourself for the good of others, a full blown romance plot would have cheapened that a bit. The look in the elevator and the hand holding was enough for me. In many ways, the thought they might have had a future together had they been saved makes it more heartwrenching...it's not just about their deaths, but the lives they might have had.

Also the forlorn "Rogue One. May the Force be with you." as they knew they couldn't save their friends and allies who were heroes and gave the Rebellion strength in their back foot.

Aaaah, such a beautiful film. It will really stay with me for awhile.

That said, I think Rogue One will change my viewing order. I do the IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII order myself.

What at do you guys think? Straight I-VII now? Or maybe IV, Rogue One, V, I, II, III, VI, VII?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    That said, I think Rogue One will change my viewing order. I do the IV, V, I, II, III, VI, VII order myself.

What at do you guys think? Straight I-VII now? Or maybe IV, Rogue One, V, I, II, III, VI, VII?
    I've been thinking about that also. I watch it in Machete order as well and I could see it slotting in between III and VI, as that keeps the vibe of the prequels section of the marathon as an extended flashback. In effect, you see how Vader became Vader, and then you see how the events of A New Hope came to pass. So I think next time I marathon them I'll try out IV, V, II, III, Rogue One, VI, VII.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Any viewing order that continues to include I, II or III is wrong, though you could maybe just watch the final half hour of Attack of the Clones and the Anakin-Obi Wan fight in Revenge of the Sith and then launch into the rest.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah the viewing order is obvious for me: Rogue, IV, V, VI, and VII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I did the Machete order before. The version where you go IV, V, II, III, VI. You leave out Episode I because it really doesn't add much to the overall story. And II and III are meant to have more of an impact right after the "I am your father" part in Episode V.

Anyway, watched it in that order and I actually had a good time. Keep in mind that I fully recognize the problems with the prequels, but I have always liked the world building of those movies. I also think the actors get s raw deal (as I stated earlier in this thread about Anakin) because Lucas is a bad director and writer when he has as much control as he did during the prequels.

As for throwing Rouge One in the mix? I'm not sure. While it DEEPLY connects to IV, I still view it as more of a side story. It's sort of like discovering extra cut scenes in a video game to flesh out the story. If you watch Rouge One followed by IV, that would work. But if you put Rouge One in the middle of watching the main episodes, that might be weird. I might try it anyway, though.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Spykus Hallideus (Cerberus)

Just seen it today, it's a pretty solid film. I liked it, nothing too fancy and it's not a glorified remake either for one so that's a plus. Worth it.

LET THE HAMMER FALL

Watched it yesterday and wasn't overly impressed.

The battle at the end was awesome and Donnie Yen, Alan Tudyk and Jiang Wen's characters were pretty interesting, but the rest were pretty forgettable stock characters to be honest. I hated the crappy CGI on characters faces and Mads Mikklesen was totally underused in his role as was Forest Whittaker. I had high hopes for this with the director in charge but it wasn't any better or any worse than TFA.

My flatmate fell asleep halfway through.
    YE RAGIN', AYE?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Anyone seen this yet? (SPOILER)Oh that's right EVERYBODY has because my life doesn't allow me to do ANYTHING any more

I really, really liked it. It's probably the Star Wars film that has resonated emotionally with me the most. (SPOILER)I kind of suspected they all might die because I thought there was a line from EpIV:ANH where Mon Mothma says something like "Many Bothans died to bring us this information". It turns out this line was from EpV:ESB. So I was right but for the wrong reasons.

Anyway yeah, I thought this was a far better film than EpVII:TFA (SPOILER)Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, seriously?? and is probably in my top 3 Star Wars films.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Adam Driver is great!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

any one who trouts on adam driver can fight me irl

danny you have been really trying to push my buttons lately young man
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I really like Adam Driver as an actor! He was great in Midnight Special. He's just horribly miscast as Kylo Ren. Not even remotely intimidating. They literally could have cast anybody else.