Thread: Some Other Guy Plays FFVI, Too

Default Some Other Guy Plays FFVI, Too

So I see Midgar Mist is also indulging in some FFVI. Not to try and steal their thunder, it's just that, with FF3 down, the only numbered FFs left for me to complete are FF1, FF5 and FF6. TECHNICALLY FF2 as well but I made it all the way to Leon rejoining the party so that is like 99% done.

Anyway, I plan to beat FFV come the Fiesta, which leaves FFI and VI.

Now, I made it to Setzer joining last time. I recall scattered bits and pieces from that playthrough. This time though I'm playing on Steam, with a different translation and portraits and all kinds of stuff.
    Also did the battle menus always roll over like a counter to represent ATB gauge filling up? I don'tremember that at all.

But anyway, I just got Sabin in my party. Yay, I guess.

I think the characters are exaggerating how controlled Terra was. She seemed very happy at the end of battles in the beginning. Ever seen that Saturday Night Live sketch with the three guys constantly bobbing their heads to "What Is Love"? They were all kinda doing that. I miss that. Now everyone just does a little twirl.

I had forgotten what a crutch Edgar is. Terra and Locke don't even do anything, just sit around while Ed kills all enemies in one or maybe two turns.

I recall being warned once NOT to open some chests because one of them later turns into a Ribbon. I hope I can still open most chests though because I've kinda been doing that.

Are Sabin's Blitzes complicated? Like I should look up a list? Or can I just figure them out on my own?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Sabins Blitz list is in the game, but some of them are a bit confusing so i rarely used anything but pummel.

i have no idea what chest has the ribbon, i just lefft the few starting ones alone.

Goodluck, ill try to help if you need me to.

EDIT: i also believe GBA and up has bonus dungeons

That chest is in the moogle cave.

Blog Entries

Midgar Mist is female by the way. And no, you won't steal her thunder. I appear to be starting a craze here.

I seem to be following the wrong trend, because I'm replaying FF VII instead

Yeah Edgar seems to be overpowered to about Zozo from memory, and then you'll need his chainsaw and Drill to keep him powerful. About Sabin, I don't think that they get too complicated till his Bumrush move, though there's a few walkthroughs you can look up if you ever get confused.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I've never considered the three I use complicated.
    Left, right, left = Pummel
    Down slide to left = Aura Bolt
    Left then slide in a circle the whole way up and around back to left = Bum Rush.

If you've ever played street fighter or mortal combat you're already a pro at it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    Left then slide in a circle the whole way up and around back to left = Bum Rush.

If you've ever played street fighter or mortal combat you're already a pro at it.
    Im terrible at street fighter and mortal combat. So Im personally not a pro, just a amateur who plays a little Tekken from time to time. But Ive not used all of his. Cant be bothered learning them all.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post

Im terrible at street fighter and mortal combat. So Im personally not a pro, just a amateur who plays a little Tekken from time to time. But Ive not used all of his. Cant be bothered learning them all.
    You don't actually have to use the diagonal directional. For example, to do Fire Dance you can just press left, left, down, down, right. you don't have to do the half-circle slide, you can replace it with the previous directional.

Hope that makes sense. For example, to do Aurabolt you just need to press down, down. left.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ribbons are a dime a dozen and status magic is not nearly as annoying in the game as future installments, so I wouldn't worry about getting the Ribbon as their are way easier means to to obtain them. I feel the Rune Edge is a better item anyway as your next chance to get it will be long after the weapon is worthless.

So I've not been really "feeling it' the passed few days but I have made it passed the Phantom Train now.

Thoughts:
    1. Sabin is kinda dumb and I don't like his style so not gonna use him when I have the choice.
    2. Shadow has a cool theme.
    3. Cyan continues to be great.
    4. Locke is basically Proto-Zidane. I like chicks and help people and am a thief.
    5. Why does it seem like everyone has the same stats? Like, when I got Celes, I figured she would be beefier than Locke I gave her a Great Sword and Gauntlets because she's all knightly and stuff and I figured she would hit harder than a thief. But Locke actually had higher Strength than her.
    6. Is Celes basically a Paladin?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Celes is more of a Red Mage, though her magic does tend to focus more on healing and status magic, so Paladin isn't too far. She's a bit more psychically adept than Terra who has much better magic.

Stats don't actually level up in this game without espers, with the exception of HP/MP which do level normally. This game's stats are basically a proto-VII where the whole parties stats are not terribly far from each each other to make it easier to use them for both fighting and magic. Locke, Shadow, and Cyan are the heavy "fighter" characters with poor magic ability which you'll only notice when comparing them to Relm and Stargo, the game's resident "mages". The rest of the cast are largely Red Mage type builds with Esper and equipment customization helping to distinguish them.

Locke is not an atypical thief (he's a treasure hunter), much like Zidane. He's more of a Warrior/Thief hybrid.

Blog Entries

I've just completed the game so good luck. You will find many different opinions about who to use.

And Kanno, if they're like Red Mages then they are the best damn Red Mages in Final Fantasy.

Also I can see how they sprung off this into FF7.