FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo Anders

Official thread art: http://sandara.deviantart.com/art/DA...-lot-205365768

ITT we talk about the world's biggest mage nerd. Also his cat.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Anders was great in Dragon Age Awakening. Then they merged him with Justice in DAII and his personality changed a lot. Where is the sarcastic self-preserving Anders from DAA? It was as if they had a character they created but also wanted to include someone from the first game and decided just to make this new character be Anders. I guess people change, but I don't like what he changed into.

He didn't leave my party in DAA but I never used him in DAII.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah I loved him and his cat in DA:A but they ruined his character in DAII. They should have just made a new character and not changed his so dramatically. DA2 anders is not the same character, even if you factor in Justice WHO IS ALSO NOT THE SAME. I was not a fan of their changes there. DA:A Anders is my bae. DA 2 Anders is a completely new character and has nothing to do with my bae.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

DA:A Anders is my favorite he wolf-whistled at a goddamn statue of Andraste.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Honestly I'm in the minority but I prefer DA: II Anders. In Awakening... what was his personality? Besides being a snarker? I found DA: A Anders to be rather nondescript (then again, you could hardly call all of the characters in it 'developed'). Pretty much his only plot line was 'help me, I'm escaping!'

DA: II Anders still had the occasional sarcastic jibe or banter, but it became less and less as Justice began taking over. Was he mopey? Yeah. They could not have hit us quite so full in the face with his angst, but the lighter side is/was there. It's even lampshaded by a banter with Varric in Act 3 where he describes him as 'no longer funny'.

Basically, I didn't mind DA: II Anders at all. He was moody, sure, but overall he was an interesting character.

If Anders does come back, I'd be interested to see where it goes. I would like to see some of the sarcasm come back, if possible, without losing the inherent brokenness of the character.

Imagine a world in which Anders wasn't dead at the end of DA2

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Imagine a world in which Anders wasn't dead at the end of DA2
    I never kill off Anders.

I'm with Formy, DA2 Anders had a lot more depth. He was a more interesting character. Awakening Anders was just a shallow eejit who only thought about himself. Plus, 2 Anders had a much better voice actor, I thought.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Anders was my boyfriend. But then he (SPOILER)massacred all those people and blew up the chantry and I was so furious with him, especially since he did it all behind my back. I was so angry, but I didn't kill him as much as I wanted to, I just told him we were through.

Then I ran back into him right before the final battle begins and I had calmed down and I told him I was over it now and we should hook back up. Then the two gay magicians frolicked off into the wilderness happily ever after. Love conquers all!
    I like Kung-Fu.

Awakening Anders is whatever. Best Awakening Companion was Nathaniel.

The thing is though, DA2 Anders always existed. Awakening Anders hates Templars too. He places a huge value on his freedom, as well. It's just that he's such a spineless worm in Awakening that he can't go through with doing anything about any of it. He just whines now and then.

Justice gave him the gumption to start taking a stand.

Of course, the problem is that a human and a spirit are not supposed to do what these two did. You can't just jam two beings together and hope it all works out. The only reason I would ever kill Anders is because it's a merciful end for both Anders and Justice, who are prisoners more or less.

That's the Rivalry path though. I Friendmanced Anders and supported him all the way. His merger with Justice goes more smoothly in that scenario.

in conclusion

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Awakening Anders is whatever. Best Awakening Companion was Nathaniel.
    Justice is my fave honestly he's adorable and precious AND a good tank.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's not very fair to compare a companion from an expansion to one from a full game that got a full arc and character quests. Of course Awakening Anders was more shallow, you don't have time to dig more into it. Also, I actually appreciated a more shallow character in this world that is always filled with heavy heavy characters. The point is, Awakening Anders is someone I would have liked to get to know more because there had got to be something that made him the sarcastic self-preserving way he was. We never got to find out in DAII since they rewrote him completely.

It's fine if you prefer that character from DAII called Anders than the one in Awakening called Anders. But they aren't the same person.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post

It's fine if you prefer that character from DAII called Anders than the one in Awakening called Anders. But they aren't the same person.
    This. DAII anders is a good character on his own. Awakening Anders is a fun character on his own and I wanted to see more of that character. They should have just made Anders in DAII a different character instead of trying to carry an awakening one.

Also, only Awakening Anders actually had Sir-Pounce-A-Lot.