Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis is all but confirmed

Default Genesis is all but confirmed

God damn you to hell Square Enix. Looks like Nomura is going to cough up another Crisis Core level turd. Poor FFVII.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-may-see-areas-characters-spinoffs/

"Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Articles
    Blog Entries

Am I the only one who thinks this really isn't such a big deal? So what if Genesis shows up / is referenced / whatever. He's been a part of the FF7verse for a long time now, it's no surprise that he'd be in the remake in some form.

The amount of effort fans invest into fighting against the decision of owners concerning their canonicity, it being FF, DB, SW and all other fiction is incredible.

Egami covered that one already by the way.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 04-12-2016 at 07:16 PM.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

This isn't the worst part of the extended universe that could end up in the game. We could go from mean yet competent and skilled Cloud to sad and depressed and good for nothing an entire game Cloud.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

People are inferring a lot of different things from the same interview. I don't think Genesis is 'all but confirmed' based on those comments. I would assume things from CC possibly AC would be mentioned in the game but the focus is on Cloud & co's story. It's not like you will be wandering around Midgar and Genesis shows up.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the most part, I always expected there would be several references to the Compilation anyway, so this is really no big deal to me.

As for Genesis being "confirmed", I feel this has more to do with the fact he was inserted and played a large role in the Nibelheim incident, thanks to Crisis Core. Perhaps SE might retcon that out, but it's just as likely that part will have the most references, if not a cameo, of SE's resident disgraceful protagonist.

Either way, I don't give a smurf.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    The amount of effort fans invest into fighting against the decision of owners concerning their canonicity, it being FF, DB, SW and all other fiction is incredible.

Death of the Author, pal. Once the work is out there, it's out there, and it doesn't belong to the creators anymore than it does to any of the viewers/readers/players.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

Death of the Author, pal. Once the work is out there, it's out there, and it doesn't belong to the creators anymore than it does to any of the viewers/readers/players.
    Yeah, I have heard of this nonsensical made up rule, as if anyone could decide that this is a fact, that ultimately results in paradoxical events. Oh and, "pal", the author/owner of FF is not dead. Especially considering an author is not always the only owner. Canonicity is defined by the owner who has the right to do so, that is not always the original author. Especially as Square Enix is an entire company that owns FF with a lot of people who have a say So even if this were some rule that was supposed to be taken seriously - an inconsistent rule as it only should be the obvious "as long as no one owns it legally anymore together with the rights to change it ..." - Square Enix' products are not the best to use it on. As long as there is always an owner involved it is just disrespecting the rights of those owners. So that rule is really no good. FF does not belong to fans just because an author might leave or die.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 04-12-2016 at 09:43 PM.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

Yeah, I have heard of this nonsensical made up rule, as if anyone could decide that this is a fact, that ultimately results in paradoxical events. Oh and, "pal", the author/owner of FF is not dead. Especially considering an author is not always the only owner. Canonicity is defined by the owner who has the right to do so, that is not always the original author. Especially as Square Enix is an entire company that owns FF with a lot of people who have a say So even if this were some rule that was supposed to be taken seriously - an inconsistent rule as it only should be the obvious "as long as no one owns it legally anymore together with the rights to change it ..." - Square Enix' products are not the best to use it on. As long as there is always an owner involved it is just disrespecting the rights of those owners. So that rule is really no good. FF does not belong to fans just because an author might leave or die.

This is what Fynn meant.

I'm not denying that the compilation is canon. I'm stating that it's a poorly written piece of ret-conned crap, and SHOULD be written out of canon. Most FFVII fans I've met agree that the compilation did nothing but tarnish the reputation of the original.

I mean who the hell wants that pansy Genesis to come waltzing into the reactor blabbing about soldier honor, and what Angels dream of?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Yes, just like everyone has to accept that Tidus literally died from kicking a boobytrapped blitzball.

Everyone who doesn't think that's a fantastic and important part of the FFX storyline are obviously idiots.

Or to make an exaggearted but still valid example: What if JRR Tolkien's son wrote a book called the lord of the rings: origins, which was a 10 page work that said frodo was eaten by the orcs in the first book and the rest of the trilogy is actually one of gandalf's drug-induced dreams? He owns the rights to the series, so whatever he says is canon, right?

In this world, surely you would have to laugh at those people who liked the original trilogy, and make sure to tell them "i can't believe you actually like those books. don't you know what really happened? haven't you read the 4th book?"
    Last edited by Mirage; 04-13-2016 at 12:20 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Yeah, and for the record HAN shot first. **** George Lucas and his idiotic ret-cons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bright Shield View Post
    God damn you to hell Square Enix. Looks like Nomura is going to cough up another Crisis Core level turd. Poor FFVII.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/04/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-may-see-areas-characters-spinoffs/

Wow.........is it actually possible to cough up a turd? That guy's got one helluva backwards digestive system.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    This isn't the worst part of the extended universe that could end up in the game. We could go from mean yet competent and skilled Cloud to sad and depressed and good for nothing an entire game Cloud.
    Yeah, that's the one I am dreading t he most.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<