Thread: Your favourite male vocalist vs favourite female vocalist

Default Your favourite male vocalist vs favourite female vocalist

So who are your favourite male and female vocalists? Between the two do you prefer one or the other? You can post examples if available.

My favourite male vocalist is Fish from Marillion - sort of like Peter Gabriel 2.0 but to me even better. Also a great lyricist!

Runners-up: Pye Hastings from Caravan and Jimmy Scott's performance of Sycamore Trees from Twin Peaks.

As for my favourite female vocalist I really like Kate Bush.

Joni Mitchell comes in second - I don't have as many female runners-up because I rarely listen to anything other than prog and that genre has very few female vocalists. xD

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't even know who my favourite male vocalist is. I want to say Scott Hutchinson from Frightened Rabbit because I get so emotional listening to him, but that's also a lot to do with his lyrics. I do like his Scottish twang though and I think he has a nice tone. He's just an all round cuddly human being and I love him.

For female vocalists.... God I don't know where to even start. I love so many, and as someone who likes to sing bigger songs I tend to lean more to powerful female voices, but there's something about women who can strip it right back to the bare bones as well. I'll have to think about it and get back to you.

Actually yep no I know now who my favourite female vocalists are. It's Janis Joplin and Amy Winehouse. The pair of them just have something.

Last edited by Night Fury; 04-13-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Hmmm. I can't really give you a definitive answer, because I'm always changing my mind. But, at the moment...

Felix Riebl from The Cat Empire. I find his voice very sexy. The Cat Empire are AMAZING live.

Laura Marling. She has a very engaging and distinctive voice. Also fantastic live, by the way.

Last edited by Mr. Carnelian; 04-15-2016 at 12:58 PM.

^ Unforunately I can't see that second video here in Canada (the user disabled it) but I had seen Laura Marling on Jools Holland a few years ago because it was airing on a Canadian channel. She reminds me of Joni a bit - there were a lot of great acts on that show (Kevin Rowland and Dexys performed at one point). I can't believe I forgot to mention Kevin, he's also a favourite of mine. Most people have heard Come on Eileen but they had a ton of good songs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Favourite male vocalist is Daniel Tompkins. His style has changed a little bit with recent releases to become a little bit softer and more processed but he's responsible for some of the best vocal performances on songs that I've ever heard. Amazingly beautiful voice and also an incredibly powerful scream for metal music (also I have a man crush on his face and he was the reason I got my hair cut the way I did back in the day >.>)

Favourite female vocalist will probably always be Carina Round. I don't like any of the work she does with puscifer these days and she's a lot different now to what she was back when I was obsessed with her music. However she was too large a part of my musical influence to ever fall from that top spot. Also, her lyrics from her first two albums are absolute perfection.