Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most complicated game you've ever played.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Tongue Most complicated game you've ever played.

Whether it's the story, the gameplay or some other element you wouldn't really think about, what is the most complicated game you've ever had the pleasure or displeasure to play?

Knights in Nightmare comes to mind; I beat it and still have barely any idea what the hell is going on.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Probably Vagrant Story. Although that game may have only seemed complicated due to the fact that the game explained nothing about itself

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

Mechanics wise, I'm going to say Risen. How you swung your weapon or blocked or whatever was based on your mouse movement. And not to mention the beginning was really hard too and it being a few hours until you got a proper tutorial.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Probably Vagrant Story. Although that game may have only seemed complicated due to the fact that the game explained nothing about itself
    I would argue that the rabbit hole that is the game's mechanics go far deeper than you can imagine. The crafting system and deeper elements of the combat system certainly make it one of the more intricate games under Matsuno's belt.

It's also the game I'm choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I would argue that the rabbit hole that is the game's mechanics go far deeper than you can imagine. The crafting system and deeper elements of the combat system certainly make it one of the more intricate games under Matsuno's belt.

It's also the game I'm choosing.
    The first time I attempted to play through this game (age 14 at the time I believe) I had absolutely no idea about weapon affinities and how they change depending on what type of enemy you use them on. I think I used the same weapon for every enemy type and was never able to get even close to finishing at that time!

My vote goes to DOTA 2; stacking, pulling, jungling, camp blocking, warding, 100+ heroes with 4 abilities each that you are at least supposed to know what they roughly do and what role each hero fulfils, item timings, their functionalities and making the proper item choice depending on the enemy teams items and abilities; the list goes on. All in a 5 vs 5 pvp environment with games lasting anywhere between 30 and 55 minutes. This game makes me sweat and it requires 100% of my focus and attention throughout. It's extremely challenging and it can be both very disappointing and very rewarding at times.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I couldn't get my head around Horace Goes Skiing on the Spectrum.

The basic premise of the game is that you have to go to the shops and buy some skis. Once you've done that, you can get to play the main game which is a very enjoyable, if simplistic skiing sim.

This is all fine until you realise the lengths in which Horace goes to acquire his skis. This game was released in the 1980s so the Internet wasn't a thing which means he couldn't nip onto www.snowfit.com and place on order. I'll tell you what was a thing in the 1980s though... mail order. Seriously Horace, by far the easiest way.

Horace instead chooses to buy his skis from a shop. Now, I don't have a problem with this as it was the most common method of purchasing items 30 years ago. The problem I have is that he chooses a ski store in which he has to cross eight lanes of traffic. What method does Horace employ to try and cross this ridiculously busy road? He waits for a gap then RUNS LIKE A MADMAN ACROSS EIGHT LANES OF TRAFFIC. I don't understand... Surely if he walks along the side of the road for a while he'll find a safe crossing point? It might take a bit longer but damn it man, it's safer! Failing that just find another store, dude.

This is the most complicated and dangerous method of acquiring skis I've ever seen. Even as a child I remember questioning the stupidity of his actions.

Last edited by Bubba; 04-14-2016 at 10:17 AM.

I totally forgot about Magic: The Gathering! That takes the cake. Love it though!

Thread didn't specify it had to be a videogame ok?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I totally forgot about Magic: The Gathering! That takes the cake. Love it though!

Thread didn't specify it had to be a videogame ok?
    I'd disagree. The basic rules of the game are very simple. The cards themselves just add new stuff to keep things fresh and interesting, but on a fundamental level, i wouldn't say the game is complicated

Magic's pretty complicated if you learn it properly. Turn structure and phases can be pretty tricky.

That, and the whole layers concept, which hardly anyone ever learns. (Layers refers to the mechanic that sorts out what prevails when two or more effects are contradictory)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    Knights in Nightmare comes to mind; I beat it and still have barely any idea what the hell is going on.
    This gameplay wise, storywise probably Xenogears. While it isn't to the point that I don't understand it, it took a lot of extracurricular reading on my part to fully comprehend everything

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez09 View Post
    This gameplay wise, storywise probably Xenogears. While it isn't to the point that I don't understand it, it took a lot of extracurricular reading on my part to fully comprehend everything
    I came here to see if you mentioned Knights in the Nightmare or Xenogears, and was not surprised.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Probably Victoria II. 167 hours in it according to Steam and I still don't know all its ins and outs. (That's why it's so great, though.)

Bonus points for Dwarf Fortress and SMAC.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Eve online is pretty complicated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Any MMO ever seems horribly complicated in my opinion.