Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Thread 2016

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

That would be awesome to be fair. Maybe there should have been a level with Raiden using his feet and teeth to hold his sword.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    That would be awesome to be fair. Maybe there should have been a level with Raiden using his feet and teeth to hold his sword.
    The game could be called "Disarmed And Dangerous" or something.

Also I still think MGS1 had the best OST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPISnnLhnhI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=synBp17IGfo - I love that Rex's Lair is like some straight-up RPG final dungeon theme. Tell me it doesn't sound like you're storming the Doom Fortress as the world is about to end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4UspBs3DGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMasLUmBzkc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv3gyq2f3Xo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6miaTf1gF4g

Also while Kojima's writing has its issues, this is a legitimately great exchange.

Otacon: Snake. What was she fighting for? What am I fighting for? What are you fighting for?

Solid Snake: If we make it through this I'll tell you.

Otacon: Okay. I'll be searching too.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

MSG3 is my favorite, but it did not impact me as hard as when I first played MSG1.

It's just held up better over time. Harry Gregson-Williams working on a lot of the sound track never hurts, and finally getting to see The Boss and that background story is just tough to beat.

I do still think MSG1 has the best integrated cinematics, and did the best job making me feel like I was in an interactive espionage movie.

MSG2 is actually a very solid game, and also holds up well.

I haven't played MSG5, and right now MSG4 is a distant last place. I just didn't like it as much as the others.

Blog Entries

I'd also like to note for some reason I didn't like hunting for food MGS3 (Maybe because I never knew how much food to collect and save for later) but I loved capturing animals for my menagerie in MGS5 and wish there were more varieties.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Found this fun gem. For people who need a refresher course on MGS4...

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

100% accurate
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Just beat the End in MGS3. Still one of my favourite bosses in any game!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The End, when fought in a fair sniper duel is still one of the best sniper battles in the series bar none. Though Sniper Wolf is my other favorite.

Blog Entries

The original MGS is my favourite one, though I think it comes behind MGS3 in terms of technically how good the game is. It's hard to overstate just how much of an effect the original had on future action games. I personally think cutscenes like this still hold up today. I just wish it was a bit longer and had less Resident Evil-style plodding around at the end of the game.

If MGS3 was the zenith, the fourth was where I lost interest. I seem to remember being one of the few on these boards who wasn't a big fan of it at the time, though it appears the general sentiment has gone the same way over the years. It was a very fun game to play, but that was about it. The plot started off farfetched and became increasingly ridiculous as the game continued, with central plot points around which previous games based themselves being contradicted or handwaved with 'muh nanomachines' in single sentences before moving onto something else. The 'stealth' bit was thrown out of the window, more included as a 'yeah I suppose you could sneak through this area, but DON'T YOU WANT TO CAP SOME FOOLS? HERE IS A LIGHT MACHINE GUN' kind of thing. The character of Snake also completed its flanderisation from James-Bond-meets-John-McClane badass to complete wimp.

I haven't played MGS5, and actually haven't heard much about it.

there was a picture here

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    The original MGS is my favourite one, though I think it comes behind MGS3 in terms of technically how good the game is. It's hard to overstate just how much of an effect the original had on future action games. I personally think cutscenes like this still hold up today. I just wish it was a bit longer and had less Resident Evil-style plodding around at the end of the game.

If MGS3 was the zenith, the fourth was where I lost interest. I seem to remember being one of the few on these boards who wasn't a big fan of it at the time, though it appears the general sentiment has gone the same way over the years. It was a very fun game to play, but that was about it. The plot started off farfetched and became increasingly ridiculous as the game continued, with central plot points around which previous games based themselves being contradicted or handwaved with 'muh nanomachines' in single sentences before moving onto something else. The 'stealth' bit was thrown out of the window, more included as a 'yeah I suppose you could sneak through this area, but DON'T YOU WANT TO CAP SOME FOOLS? HERE IS A LIGHT MACHINE GUN' kind of thing. The character of Snake also completed its flanderisation from James-Bond-meets-John-McClane badass to complete wimp.

I haven't played MGS5, and actually haven't heard much about it.
    As much as a I like MGS2, it's what laid the ground work for the ridiculous story that is MGS4. Over the years the series story has gone from pseudo-futuristic, cold war, science fiction to a very murky and difficult to follow story about shadow groups within shadow groups. Also nanomachines.

I've actually heard lots of good things about MGS5, but I haven't played it at all.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah MGS2 really is where the near future aspects of the series went totally off the rails. There are some decent story elements in there but it gets bogged down by one attempt after another to outdo a previous plot twist. By the end you get three or four explanations of what happened and why and none of them really make a lot of sense, especially when you play it for the first time and try to sort through all of that garbage. But MGS 4 kind of takes that and rather than clearing out all up in a way that makes sense it bends over backwards to explain things that didn't need explaining (vamps abilities) and bandages) hand waves everything else as nanomachines. Shame too since i like the gameplay in many ways, even if they really fell short of every promise they made during development and the last three acts, while they have their moments, are a clear downgrade in terms of gameplay from the first two.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

After reading some theories and replaying the game a few more times, I really appreciate what MGS2 tried to do, and I do believe it when Kojima said it was meant to be "the last one". While I don't necessarily believe in the VR Theory, I would agree that the message that proponents of the theory state were most likely Kojima's intentions for the game's message. The game being designed as a shallow sequel that largely copy and pastes the original being a commentary on the practice seen in the game/film industry, Raiden is a surrogate for the player, the strong message against games that glorify violence, and the central message of "think for yourself, and don't just wait for others to give you the answer" pretty much hold true whether you take the events as literal or figuratively.

It's why it becomes less surprising that MGS3 was a prequel instead of a sequel, because MGS2 was probably never meant to have one. So MGS4's plot mostly sucked because the staff was trying to write themselves out of a corner and just didn't care. It's why articles like these popped up and frankly I can almost see them having some truth to it, though I also feel it's just fan wank trying to defend a designer they've elevated to godhood, not realizing Kojima doesn't really like them either. Yeah, MGS4 was kind of a crappy ending to the series, which is probably why the even MGSV tries to soften the blow a bit more.

For those who haven't experienced MGSV yet, it's a very solid game. In many ways, it's the antithesis of MGS4, being largely game focused and the story is presented in a very minimalist and bare bones way. In fact if you've been watching most of the trailers, you've most likely seen all of the cutscenes in the game, most of the story is told through the audio tapes you can listen to while playing. The plot has some of it's own crappy hand wave elements but doesn't dwell on them as much as MGS4 did. Truth be told, the plot is actually fairly good and while some people hate the ending (and it's presentation) I actually really enjoyed it. It's probably one of the more ingenious plot twists in the series only behind the Raiden one.

Gameplay-wise, it's a fantastic game, probably my favorite in the series despite being completely different from previous installments.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    The End, when fought in a fair sniper duel is still one of the best sniper battles in the series bar none. Though Sniper Wolf is my other favorite.
    Apparently I forgot to save and had to fight the End again.

I just love the scope of this boss; it covers 3 areas, it's 1v1, and there's so many tricks both parties can pull (and not all of them can be found on the wiki's/guides). I.E. I was in first person view and killed a frog with a knife. This caused the End to spawn right behind me (literally at my feet) when exiting first person view and shoot me point blank. They do say he is "in touch with the forest" after all.

Hunting him down and sneaking up behind him is my favourite strategy. Today I tried throwing live snakes at him but they won't bite him. One of my favourite things is to sneak up on his hiding spot and place claymores in the directions he can escape to. After shooting him point blank he will run into the mines, giving you extra follow-up damage and more time to chase him.

I wonder if you can plant TNT on him. And is it possible to CQC him? I need to do more testing!

Edit: apparently using the fake death pill causes him to come close to you and see if you're alive.
    Last edited by Pete for President; 05-04-2016 at 10:44 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I believe you can CQC him, though it's more of the body throws than interrogation kind. I don't think there is a human boss in the game you can't counter their moves and use CQC on them.