Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy IX is now on Steam!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'll see what my laptop can do, then.

My Kingdom for a scaled UI though. >_<

Everything else looks like a good step up from the original, but I can't stand how that battle UI covers half the screen and blocks out half your party. Especially when you're inputting commands. Just shrink it down a bit guys, get rid of the unused space...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Decided to download and I'm playing. The game looks rather pretty. Especially the opening FMV. Yeah, in some parts it looks like they left the background alone and it looks blurry in contrast to the characters. Some of these changes will take getting used to like the ! mark showing up whenever you talk to a person and a teta master icon if they can play with you. I also thought the run button was Square on the PS1, but it's circle here.

My pc might have some issues. It took longer than usual for the battle screen to show up against Baku and I saw some blue stripes.

On the positive side I made 80 jumps this time which I think is the highest I ever got.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    On the positive side I made 80 jumps this time which I think is the highest I ever got.
    I also found the jump rope and the sword fight a lot easier in this than in the original. Impressed 100 nobles on the third try, which I don't think I've ever been able to do on the PSX.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I got the Mage Masher on my first steal from Baku. Insanity.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Rantzo Panza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Depression Moon View Post
    I also found the jump rope and the sword fight a lot easier in this than in the original. Impressed 100 nobles on the third try, which I don't think I've ever been able to do on the PSX.
    What, you got all 100? I thought that was impossible. Funnily after I did 80 jumps, on my second attempt I only made 8.

Edit: They changed some of the text in the game. The little girl in the beginning says dropped your ticket instead of dwopped.
    Last edited by Depression Moon; 04-16-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I got 100 out of 100 on my first try. dang!

There are rumours that they've made the swordfight and other tricky minigames easier (such as the jump rope) in this release. I don't know how substantiated these claims are, equally likely is that everyone's simply improved since they first played the game 16 years ago!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    There are rumours that they've made the swordfight and other tricky minigames easier (such as the jump rope) in this release. I don't know how substantiated these claims are, equally likely is that everyone's simply improved since they first played the game 16 years ago!
    The last time I played was last year though and make it a mission to play at least once a year and then just a couple months ago I lost to Ingo for the first time ever in the horse race.

Can someone help me adjust to swordfight prompts in this? The game is using Xbox buttons and I'm using PlayStation so it just confuses the hell out of me and makes that trout harder. I've never done so bad.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Config, controls, then custom. At least that changes the buttons. I had to switch to X and O.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Yeah, it took me exactly three tries to impress 100 nobles. Either they nerfed the difficulty or I just sucked every other time I played.

I like how they touched up many of the character models, very nice. Everything seems good with the exception of the backgrounds. They are awful, but no worse than they are in the PlayStation version played on a modern HD television. Shame they couldn't hunt down the original renders and replace them with nice higher res versions.

It really is a shame because I always felt of the three PS1 FF titles, IX had by far the most beautiful pre-rendered environments.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Config, controls, then custom. At least that changes the buttons. I had to switch to X and O.
    Well I already had my controls customized when I started. It took me about ten tries until I could get it without missing one, but that tenth one I had to go really slow in order to get 100% and funnily enough I got 100 out the gate. They did change the ratio for getting 100 nobles. This is the worst I ever did, but I got it when every other time I nail all the QTEs with absurd speed and get 98 nobles at the most. I think SFX usage prior to that factors in too, but really the first time I've ever got 100 nobles in my dozen playthroughs.

Right now I just made it Dali and saved the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I think I just discovered a couple things that I never found in my many previous playthroughs. I never saw the extra bit of dialogue you get if you talk to the pub owner in Dali after you walk out the weapon shop after Dagger. I think in all my dozen other playthroughs I just went straight to the inn. I also never saw Dagger practicing alone in the room when you could look through the window.
    I recall looking once when no one was in, but I don't think I ever did it while Garnet was already in.

My roommate who is a big FF fan, but has never beaten IX is finally playing through it! I am very excited to see his reactions to everything. I myself am playing too many games at the moment to dive in right now, but I won't wait toooo long.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

16 years later and I'm still finding new things. I was just in Treno when I found out this game gives the characters idle animations. I was on Dr. Tot's steps when I put the controller down to browse for a little bit and then saw Garnet flip her hair. Now at Cleyra I see Zidane stretches like when he wakes up. I wonder what the others do. I think I missed my opportunities for Vivi and Steiner in this playthrough.