Thread: The Jungle Book

Default The Jungle Book

One of my favorite Disney movies (one of my eldest's nickname's growing up was "Mowgli", running around half naked with that crazy head of hair). The best part in the original (imho) is King Louie's "Be like you". Anyhow, just watched the new movie with the fam.

(SPOILER)Though I liked it and the kids were entertained, it didn't surpass it's predecessor. This story could be retold a thousand times over a thousand years, but they would never be able to top the original voice actors. Not really a "Spoiler", but I don't want to turn anyone off of it. It's really worth seeing.

"Be Like You" is my favourite Disney song ever. I hum it and sing bits of it to myself a lot, to the point where Formy more or less knows all the song despite never having seen the film.

I might go see this new version. It's not a priority for me, though. I don't really feel like it can match the original.

I love the original to death and I'm really unkeen to see this movie or even give it a go. I saw the trailer for it before seeing Zootopia and it just looked so strange and odd, like it was missing alot of magic. Also heard that there's no Beatles ! Vultures as well, which is a huge disappointment.

I might give it go when it comes out on DVD/ Bluray. I'm not willing to head to the theaters for it.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

It's amazing how well it's doing to me. It topped $290 million already and it's only been out since Friday. It's got a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Honestly, the original animated Disney film was never really among my favorites of the Disney Animated Features Canon. It was always just sort of there. I didn't dislike it or anything, I just didn't like it as much as many of the others. The funny thing is, I watched it a ton of times as a child, so many in fact that the VCR ended up eating the VHS tape, and yet for all the times I watched it as a kid I couldn't tell you half of what happens in it or adequately explain the overarching plot.

But I may have to go see it tomorrow, especially since from what I've read, it's one of those one-out-of-a-million films released in 3D where, like Avatar and Life of Pi, the 3D is actually well done and enhances the experience.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Interesting that it has a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. I saw it in trailers when watching Zootopia/Tropolis/Mania and the trailer didn't quite grab me. Maybe it was the CGI, I don't know.

I was probably just reacting to a trend of live-actioning up classic tales. Snow White has like what, two gritty live-action adaptations now?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

tbf the Disney brand has not been slapped on any of those Snow White movies, and Cinderella was decent for what it was.

Matt and I are probably gonna see this tomorrow night. Because of course we are.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

These live-action adaptations have become a license to print money for Disney, they'll probably do all their animated films as live-action eventually! At this point they could probably even make a live-action The Black Cauldron a hit if they wanted.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I would really like to see this, but I'll not go to see it in the cinema and will most likely just wait for the DVD release/interwebs leak.

It has Christopher Walken. And Idris Elba. I'm down.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

It's so weird to hear so much disinterest in here when all the media I follow is praising this. I'm going to try and see this if I can. It's kind of hard for me to see anything since I don't have a car and I'm not trying to see it at the cheap $4 theater near my house.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought the movie was visually stunning, so it was worth seeing in imax for me. I have to say that I quite enjoyed the movie. The director seem to be taking a kind of balanced inspiration from both the original book by Kipling and the old Disney movie. I have no real attachment to the old cartoon as it was never a favorite of mine, but I think most people who see this movie would probably like it.

Blog Entries

New Movies for £7.00 a time. Yah...why would I do that when I can buy the original 1967 animation on VHS for 50 pence?

Thats me, I shall forever sacrifice being one of the cool kids to save money.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Idris Elba, Lupita, and ScarJo are in it and have the audacity to only have voice parts. Tsk tsk tsk. But seriously the cast is incredible and the good word has made me want to see it.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I saw it this afternoon. It was pretty great, way better than I was expecting. Everyone turned in excellent performances. It's also got some of the best CGI work to date.

I really liked the ending way more than the ending of the 1967 animated film too. Honestly for all the darker more serious moments this one has over that one, this ending felt way more Disney like.
    I like Kung-Fu.