Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humongous mecha

I suppose the issue is it's all rather shallow and comes across as very perfunctory. Particularly when contrasted with its predecessor. I still like the Rebuilds a lot, though, and I do enjoy that it's more of a re-imagining rather than a direct reproduction. So, points for taking a different direction, but it's certainly a much more conventional direction than the original series, which was a very unique creature.

I am very much looking forward to the fourth movie. Hopefully that comes out by 2017 :/

Edit: A lot of my thoughts are actually in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfM3WjyCt8s

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Sargatanas)

All this chat over a terrible show. x} I jest, Eva has just never clicked with me. I appreciate all it has done, but it was just supremely eh in my books.

I think the first mech show I watched was Gundam Wing, and that was alright. That was followed up by Eva, Macross Plus and RahXephon. Around this time I also watched Escaflowne. I enjoyed them well enough - some more than others. My exposure to mecha things was limited after this until I was in university, when I started watching things again.

Code Geass was great. My friend who likes more... "obscure" anime, I suppose recommended a whole bunch of little mecha series. Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (fantastic), Gunbuster/Diebuster (also fantastic) and Bokurano (many tears, but really good too).

As of recently, Matt and I finished up Gurren Lagann, which I really enjoyed. Recent seasons have been mixed with Gargantia being an enjoyable romp, and Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut being an atrocity.

I have some more Macross to watch in future (Macross F, I think) and I'll probably pick up mecha shows here and there. Not my favourite genre, but as with many things, I like some and don't like others!

Radical Dreamer Cid's Knight Fynn's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    All this chat over a terrible show. x} I jest, Eva has just never clicked with me. I appreciate all it has done, but it was just supremely eh in my books.
    See, I get that. My wife thought the show was mediocre, while EoE nearly traumatized her I still think Rebuild does things a lot better and it might be enjoyed by people who disliked the original, but yeah, like you said, it's pretty important for anime as a whole, but that doesn't mean it will be enjoyed by everybody

I really hate the End of Evangelion movie. The anime's ending was infinitely better as it lacked Shinji masturbating and a whole ton of entirely pointless character deaths.

I've haven't watched NGE. A buddy of mine tried to get me to, but there wasn't time for it.

When I was little a watched all of the usual;

Robotech
    Voltron
    Mazinger Z

About Mazinger (the show with the "girl" robot that could fire "rocket boobs"), I don't think the Wiki page is correct. I was in kindergarten when I started watching it. I had the huge toy that fired "rockets" and had the removable ship from his head. I remember a had drawn one of Mazinger's enemies that gave him a really hard time (winged, a tale, "Cyclops"). That would mean I was already a fan two years before the Wiki page claims it reached the States. Doesn't add up.