Thread: Lemonade

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by sinuosity View Post
    The lyrics, considering the subject matter, are also too direct. I guess it's okay if every song's going to be about your boo sleeping around, but if that's the case then it needs to be a bit subtler, or the perspectives more orthogonal. The in-your-face character of the lyrics in every track is a bit much when it's about one topic.!
    She's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. Doesn't that just sound like anything a woman does, ever?

I'm just now listening to this album - and I had a right arseache getting it on my iPod as Shauna and Shorty can attest to. God I love this album, the entire thing is on fire. I'm yet to watch the visuals but I'm sure they're going to be a treat. I've been a Beyonce fan since Destiny's Child, and this is a Beyonce I've been waiting a long, long, long time for. I love the in-your-face lyrics, and this Beyonce is powerful and unapologetic - and don't people have a lot to say about huh?

HOLY trout. Those imperfectly perfect vocals on Sandcastles just ripped into me, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Fury View Post

She's damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. Doesn't that just sound like anything a woman does, ever?
    That's a pretty unfair take on what I said. This isn't remotely related to gender!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Eh, I'm not really trying to attack you. I apologise! I'm just tired of seeing criticisms of (nearly always) female artists saying they should be x - so they come out and be x - and then that means they're being too aggressive, too direct.

Also, I'm interested to know where you think Beyonce is being too direct and why it should be more subtle? Do you feel the same way about male rappers who discuss in detail women's 'pussies' in their music? I found the whole thing to be massively empowering - again though, I haven't seen the visual DVD yet I will most likely watch it today at some point. Beyonce and Jay Z are notoriously private, and I see Lemonade as Beyonce getting her story out and getting the facts out, in her own words but yeah, the first 5-6 songs of Lemonade are definitely about the cheating, the rest is about forgiveness and learning to trust again.

I've listened to the album about 3-4 times now. And yeah, that's all I can say. It's SOOOOO empowering. Like holy trout balls, where was this angry and unashamed Beyonce when I was 17 and also being cheated on? Damn I would have probably slayed my ex if I had this album then.

I know I'll never have an understanding of the issues in the song, and I know it's not really for me, as a white woman. But I'll be damned if I don't feel pumped when I listen to Freedom. It might well be my favourite track on the album, actually. But urgh I love All Night too... and Don't Hurt Yourself... and 6 Inch.... and Sandcastle. Beyonce went hard on this one.

This is my favourite Beyonce.

EDIT: Also, with the context of the rest of the album, Formation is an even bigger tune though.

FINAL EDIT, PROMISE xD: If you all enjoy this Beyonce, then I highly recommend Rihanna's ANTI. It's also bloody amazing.
    Last edited by Night Fury; 06-04-2016 at 09:53 AM.