Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Man's Sky

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Default No Man's Sky

Do you think it'll be good? Do you think you'll get it? If you intend on getting it, PC or PS4? Important questions!

I'm probably going to get it. I love exploring in video games. This is basically designed entirely around just that. I admit I still prefer things with more individually designed locations so you can get awed by them, but I guess I'll have Star Citizen for that end of things. No Man's Sky should provide me with something a little more (okay, a lot more) sandbox.

I know there is a lot of concern about how good it'll end up being and I share that. But for me, it's not so much the "Will it be good for me?" as much as it is "Will it be good for everyone else?" Basically I just really feel this is something I'll enjoy but I question whether it will ever meet the hype that has been given to it, and also whether an exploration game can really become mainstream.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I want it to be good. If it is I'll be getting it on PC.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I do want to get it yes. For PS4.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wow, I'm pretty out of the loop. What is this game about?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

You explore space and planets in space. It's supposedly massive with like a kajillion things to explore and do. You'll be able to upgrade your equipment and stuff to progress further or last longer on planets where you need special suits for the atmosphere and stuff like that.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm still looking forward to it though I'm skeptical if the game will hold my interest once the novelty wears off because the concept is so big, I can see the basic gameplay being adequate at best but not exactly enthralling.

Sadly, I can see this game getting reamed in reviews due to hype backlash. When it first came off, it gave me the same vibe that the original Fable gave, and I kind of feel that's how its reception will be.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's conceptually amazing. Like Wolf said, I'm concerned with the gameplay being subpar since most of the focus has been on creating this vast world. Exploring planets would be fun for a little while, but without more substance behind it I can get bored quickly. I definitely want to try it out (are rental games a thing anymore?) but wouldn't buy it if there's no real gameplay.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Have you all seen this from IGN:

I like some of the stuff in this because it hints a bit more at the concept of questing, factions, alliances, things like that. I'd really like to be able to do find a planet, explore it a bit, find an outpost, do a few quests for the people at the outpost, fight some things, use the spoils to build some new laser guns and head off on my merry way. And from what I've seen that sounds like exactly what it'll be like.

So I'm pretty excite. I refer to this as 'E-lite' quite often as I expect it to be a simpler, more relaxed version of Elite. Maybe I'm doing it a disservice thinking like that, but that's exactly the sort of space trading/exploration game I want - I love Elite but it just takes too much effort to do the simplest of things.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Bumpkin.

It's out in a couple of weeks. Any more people know if they're gonna get it? I'm ready to order it, but I still don't know if I should opt for PC or PS4. I'm edging towards PS4, though.

Blog Entries

I don't know anything about it but it all sounds a bit like Spore to me.

there was a picture here

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    I don't know anything about it but it all sounds a bit like Spore to me.
    Yeah, I agree with that. I'm gonna wait and see how it pans out and if people are still playing it in four or five months. I'm sure the initial reaction will be mostly positive but I want to see how good of a game it is once you scratch the surface.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm getting it for PS4. I've decided that because the devs tell me the chance of finding someone you know ingame is infinitesimal, I'll go out on a quest to find my friends.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm convinced the overall critics will pan it on not living up to the hype, much like Spore, but the hype has always been served by the media despite the developer consistently telling us blunt truths that many are inevitably going to overlook.

It's a no-brainer for a guy like me who loves exploration, though. Gotta get this. I have two weeks off work around then too so will be nice to have something fresh to get me going.

For what it's worth, I actually liked Spore. I read back over the threads for Spore recently and it was pretty decently liked, people just raged over the DRM more than anything.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, Spore was also five different games, all fairly simple and half assed to be honest. Bored the hell out of me.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It does sound somewhat Spore-like, but I'm optimistic about this game. I'll wait when it comes out and see how it receives and like Psy says, how it performs after the sheen has rubbed off.