Thread: Castlevania

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Castlevania

Let's talk about the other famous dynasty series by Konami before they screwed it up.

Who loves Castlevania? Are you a fan of the ClassicVania (everything before Symphony of the Night) , MetroidVania (SotN up until the Lord of Shadow Series), or the ModernVania entries(Lord of Shadow reboot)?

Favorite bosses, Belmont, Main character, battle mechanic, and music?

I just finished Dawn of Sorrow again and booted up Circle of the Moon for another go around. I still want to finish the original Castlevania but Death is an asshole and I don't usually have the time to dedicate to that game as I would like.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I've only played Order of Ecclesia and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, the item drop rate was incredibly annoying.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

ClassicVania is fun in bursts but those older games can be pretty hard. The jumping is terrible.

I love MetroidVania. One of my favorite genres of all time. I've played them all and wish they made more.

Never had an interest in the 3D ModernVania games. I think I got a sour taste after Castlevania 64 and never went back to it.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I love Castlevania, well, the DS games and old playstation Symphony of the Night; not a big fan of the newer 3D style of Castlevania. The retro NES/ SNES games are fun as well.

My fav is Portrait of Ruin. The one that got me into the series as a whole.

Circle of the Moon is cool, the slow movement sucks for platforming but adds challenge for fighting enemies. But I still think Ecclesia is a better game.

The classic games I played are Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood remake on PSP. I've never beaten any of them, sadly.

Amazing series.

My top 5:

1. Symphony of the Night
    2. Castlevania 3: Dracula's Curse
    3. Super Castlevania 4
    4. Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood
    5. Castlevania

Symphony of the Night is one of the best games ever made, but strangely the only Metroidvania game to make my top 5 Castlevanias.
    "Repent your sins through death!" - Ramirez - Skies of Arcadia

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Symphony of the Night is my favorite entry in the series. I also enjoy the Soma games but I only own Dawn of Sorrow and missed out on getting my own copy of the superior GBA prequel. I also have a soft spot for Circle of the Moon.

I really wished I played more of the Classicvania titles and may take a few steps to rectify that in the future. As it stands, the original Castlevania is my favorite.

I don't mind the reboot Lord of Shadows, but wasn't in love with it to keep picking up future installments. It just sort of felt like a Western take on the series, and I felt the Metroidvania entries did a better job striking that classy Gothic horror element whereas the older titles were always more of a send up to classic Hollywood horror and the new series was more grim dark than Gothic horror.

Vampire Killer is still easily one of the best and most iconic tracks in the series, and it always puts a smile on my face when I find the current games version of it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was introduced to the series through Castlevania 64 and seem to stand in the minority who enjoyed that game, though I know where they went wrong with it. I also really loved SOTN and it's my number one favorite at the moment. I've enjoyed what little I played of the original Castlevania game, too. I also want to try out Super Castlevania IV at some point. It looks great.

I tried Lords of Shadows and thought it felt underwhelming.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lots of great memories playing Castlevania IV on the SNES. I just remember playing thinking "the music is epic!"

I downloaded Symphony of the Night onto my Vita but for some reason I didn't get into it after a few attempts. I need to play it for a prolonged period though I think.