Thread: What religion would Yevon be compared to in real life?

Default What religion would Yevon be compared to in real life?

What religion would Yevon be compared to? I'm thinking maybe Paganism perhaps?...Although Spira's perception on that reminded me widely on the renaissance on how if you upset the church, you're branded as an infidel in the same way Yuna and her guardians were branded as Traitors of Yevon.

I really thought that FFX that taking a dig at Catholicism and Christian religion. The Al Bhed = Atheists/ Scientists.

Articles
    Blog Entries

An interesting question. I definitely feel as if it was taking an indirect stab at organised western religion, as maybee correctly points out - this means Christianity and Catholicism.

Immediately this throws up questions for myself. As a Christian, how do I feel about that? Ultimately I rather like the inclusion and I'm not offended in the slightest with the allusion.

Perhaps my main point is that it is an attack on organised religion, but not necessarily religion itself. Many yevonites are given rather sympathetic, even positive portrayals - Shelinda for example, who's just so earnestly innocent and sweet. One theme that is evident to me is the resistance to change. Notice how Tidus is received at Besaid Temple. Everyone is shocked he doesn't know much about Yevon. It is perhaps best crystallised in Yo Mika, who is literally ancient. It's only with his 'death' that the religion can change and adapt under the truths that are making it groan under the weight.

FFX-2 I think rather faithfully carries on the portrayal. There's a younger face, but lingering doubts remain about the direction it will follow until it reconnects with the spirit of togetherness and mutual respect with the Al Bhed (who definitely occupy that 'Atheist' surrogate role, though I'm pretty sure they sang the Hymn of the Fayth at the end). It reminds me slightly of how the Church of England and other western churches will adapt to a changing society. Will it be like Yo Mika, stuck in the past, or will it don those hot pants, get a butt lift and 'lift' itself up contemporary society? I know which one I prefer!

I could probably go on, but basically - FFX has many flaws, but I find the portrayal of religion to be a very interesting one. Like lots of things, this is open to interpretation, and I probably assume it is a Christian analogy because of my familiarity with the religion in the west.

I've read somewhere, that everything in FFx was inspire of chinese culture ( even religious )
    And that they are showing in this game how currupted that religion is ( I'm really not sure if i'm writing this correctly ahahah )

Δ As above, so below ∇ crashNUMBERS's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Paganism is not a religion. It is an umbrella term the early Christian church devised to denote any other religion as a bunch of heathens. hmm, funny

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Will I get a bomb delivered to my doorsteps for commenting on religion?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I definitely interpreted it as a reflection of Christianity/Catholicism. And like maybee said, the Al Bhed were meant to be atheists. I do think from an aesthetic point, they took their inspiration from Buddhism and maybe Hinduism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.