Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite Side villain.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Xande is not a side villain. I could say the same thing about Seymour but I know it would be a waste of time to bring up this topic.
    i had a feeling about Xande

same with seymour. but i ended up saying that Sin was the main.
    It is not about being "wrong"; just that Dark Cloud and [Sin] can hardly be considered real villains.
    Oh, they're villains all right. Even Big Bads. But not primary antagonists, and that's the difference here. An antagonist doesn't have to be a villain, just someone opposing a protagonist. If they're their main opposing force throughout most of the story, they're a primary antagonist. So Xande, Golbez, Edea, and (arguably) Seymour are primary antagonists.
    i never even thought about that lol.

but it makes sense... i think.
    i mean no one called Gary/blue/name in pokemon a villain. but he was an enemy

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yep! Although Pokemon has this weird thing where the rivals are not quite that integrated in your main plot. But they certainly do act as antagonists, as is the case with the Pokemon gym leaders and elite four + champion, and the villainous team, only the last of which are villains. It gets interesting with Black and White where N is definitely the primary antagonist as he drives the plot forward and opposes the protagonist on many ocassions, but even though he's part of team Plasma, he's not a villain. Instead, Ghetsis is the main villain, and though he's still an antagonist, he doesn't have nearly as much presence as N.

"Real villains" was not referring to "villains in general" in my post but as "main villains", so "the big bads" and that is what they are not, because the big bads are the main villains. Darth Vader is also a real villain. Darth Vader is a main antagonist. However, he is not the main villain. That is Darth Sidious.

And by all means, "villain" considers having a morally influenced character, being an individual character with decisions of a person at all. Dark Cloud and [Sin] did not work like that. Dark Cloud was a manifested natural force. And [Sin] was the instinctive part of Jecht that he could barely control - even the part of an individual person that existed in [Sin], Jecht, was not evil at all. So wasn't Yevon=Ju. Yevon=Ju was only an echo of what was left of a broken man. Sin definitely is the antagonist-entity, but no villain entity.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-05-2016 at 12:55 PM.

I voted for Seymour. I consider him as the main vilain of FFX, actually.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    "Real villains" was not referring to "villains in general" in my post but as "main villains", so "the big bads" and that is what they are not, because the big bads are the main villains. Darth Vader is also a real villain. Darth Vader is a main antagonist. However, he is not the main villain. That is Darth Sidious.

And by all means, "villain" considers having a morally influenced character, being an individual character with decisions of a person at all. Dark Cloud and [Sin] did not work like that. Dark Cloud was a manifested natural force. And [Sin] was the instinctive part of Jecht that he could barely control - even the part of an individual person that existed in [Sin], Jecht, was not evil at all. So wasn't Yevon=Ju. Yevon=Ju was only an echo of what was left of a broken man. Sin definitely is the antagonist-entity, but no villain entity.
    It's the cause of the "evil" in the world. It's the reason why everything goes to trout and it wants it all to stay that way for his own personal goal. That is definitelty villanous. An Eldritch Abomination of alien morality can't be excluded from being classified as a villain.