Thread: Ozma

Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo Ozma

So.....this is the dude that makes an otherwise useless Garnet useful.....

Wow, even the walkthroughs I read on this guy seem to go out of their way to talk me out of ever tackling this blob of...umm.....something.

Can any of you give me any hope, so that I can finally see Garnet summon something that actually packs a punch?

Blog Entries

The guy is easy. I never had a problem with him. He is just like Emerald Weapon Just cause as much damage as he can take. Wear stuff that absorbs dark attacks and you are golden. He is a weak tough guy. It might be from me playing on the PSX but I never thought he was difficult.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

His difficulty stems from his random value attacks. If you can get past his meteor then he's fairly easy.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah Ozma can either be really difficult or a complete pushover and it comes down to what he uses. Wearing Dark protection will help immensely but his two biggest pain in the attack moves are Bad Breath and Meteor. You can counter most of Bad Breath except for Mini status which will screw over certain party members and you need to use an item to fix it. Meteor will pretty much kill you if it lands, and unfortunately, luck tends to favor Ozma.

The easiest way to beat him is to do both the Friendly Monster quest, which will lower his overall health if you feed every friendly monster the item they want. This sisn't necessary, but it increases your chances of killing him before he performs a party-wipe with Meteor.

Grind the the games three max damage attacks (Thievery, Dragon's Crest, and Frog Drop) since these moves will be unaffected by Mini. After that, Dark protection, protect against Virus, Hot, Cold, and Confusion minimum and if you have any more AP, focus on Auto-Haste and Revive. With that, he should be pretty easy to deal with unless he opens the fight with Meteor. Also, try to steal from him because he actually has really good gear.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Ozma has Curse not Bad Breath. Bad Breath isn't that bad in Final Fantasy IX. Saber must have only fought him once. I remember beating it on my third try, but repeat battles were tough and based on luck. It all depends if he wants to hit you with the Curse/Meteor combo repeatedly. Doesn't matter what level you're on or what equipment you have. There is no defense against that. There's also no ability in the game that prevents virus so if you want to get rid of it, but I don't remember him even inflicting it, you'd have to use Vaccines.

But what's the point of stealing from Ozma? He's the hardest boss in the game, so you wouldn't really be able to put that stuff to use and from what I remember you can get that stuff easier from other places in the game.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Getting another Pumice Piece is always nice and the Lord of Robes is still useful if you have a fourth party member in need. Not to mention that for the perfectionist collector, you'll need the Pumice piece since there are only three in the game and you need two of them to make the Pumice.

Articles
    Blog Entries

What also helps is having Auto-Reflect on one of your damage dealers, since Ozma uses Berserk as a counter attack when brought below certain HP thresholds, and Auto-Reflect is the only way to avoid it. To avoid both of them, attack with someone else first, then twice in a row with the Auto-Reflect character, then go all out with everyone. Alternatively you can also just instantly cure it (since it's 100% predictable after all) but that might waste a turn you'd rather use for something more productive.

Oh, and of course, make sure you enter all your commands WHILE Ozma is taking its turn, NOT when he's already done taking his turn. Using a command on Ozma even a split second after its turn is over is already too late; Ozma will take its next turn before you.

Then it's just a matter of getting lucky with the Meteors and Curses and Curaga counters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    He is just like Emerald Weapon
    Another dude who makes me go