Thread: The Rookie Mistake FF Thread

Blog Entries

Default The Rookie Mistake FF Thread

I know that we all (including myself) have a fondess for stroking our own egos about how great we are at Final Fantasy.

So, to balance things out, what were the rookie mistakes you made when you first encountered the franchise? Or when you played one of them specifically for the first time?

I have a very long list:

FF7: I didn't bother to change their initial equip and kept running away from battles. Then I wondered why I couldn't get past Materia Keeper at Nibelheim XD. I also once decided to chase Emerald Weapon for fun and ending up getting severely burned.

FF8: I think SE got up one morning and thought "Let's screw with Midgar Mist's mind". So the list of mistakes is still way too long, and out of all that I played this is the one I'm still a rookie at. Its gameplay shall probably continue to confuse and frustrate me forever.

FF9: Steiner was still on Level 3 while Zidane and Vivi coasted on the zenith of level 11. I remember hating Gizamaluke with such passion that my only answer was to grind those characters up until I sent him crying to his Mama.

I was so naïve to think that all FF games levelled their inactive characters at a half rate, just cause 7 did.

FF10: I'm still a rookie when it comes to Blitzball and Cloister of Trials, but by this time I guess I had loads of online walkthroughs to fall back on due to the internet being a bigass dude. I allowed a walkthrough to dupe me into believing that Braska's Final Aeon is difficult. The writer of it obviously didn't use The Magus Sisters in Overdrive in that case.

I don't think its possible for a seasoned pro to make a lot of mistakes in 10-2. But those a half generation down from me possibly see that differently.

I guess with anything else I could mention, like 5 or 6 I just cheated and looked stuff up. I refer you to Midgar Mist and FF6 if you want to witness me leaning on a bunch of FF6 Pros. I was shameless XD.

Oh gosh.

FF VII- When I was about 9 years old I thought that the game ended after Midgar and the rest of the world and exploring to get revenge on Sephiroth was completely optional. I went to the Chocobo Farm, thought that there was nothing much there and didn't feel the need to go after Sephiroth so I stopped until a older Brother told me that I have to keep on going.

FF VIII- I think I did okay with this game, though my Brother did the infamous ' Draw 100 of each spell ' thing.

FF X- pssh I don't need to Level Up the Sphere Grid all that much ! I have Yuna and her White Magic and Summons ! Pssh-

Oh Yuna

Yuna is gone...

F -

Blog Entries

My biggest rookie happened to be in VII. First things first, I never knew to not hit the scorpion keeper in the first reactor. The biggest rookie moment in VII was thinking I could complete it without a memory card. I would get to Reno on the pillar where he would encase my characters 1 by 1 in a pyramid I didn't know you could break.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Hm, it's been such a long time since I was an FF rookie most of my stupid mistakes have faded from memory. There is one I remember, because it turns out to be fairly common:

FFT: I didn't know how/that you could add other party members to the battle line up, and died repeatedly trying to solo the first battle.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: Knowing that equipment determined what Abilities people learned. Went through a decent portion of the early game without a clue how the Ability system worked.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Oh gosh.

FF VII- When I was about 9 years old I thought that the game ended after Midgar and the rest of the world and exploring to get revenge on Sephiroth was completely optional. I went to the Chocobo Farm, thought that there was nothing much there and didn't feel the need to go after Sephiroth so I stopped until a older Brother told me that I have to keep on going.

FF VIII- I think I did okay with this game, though my Brother did the infamous ' Draw 100 of each spell ' thing.

FF X- pssh I don't need to Level Up the Sphere Grid all that much ! I have Yuna and her White Magic and Summons ! Pssh-

Oh Yuna

Yuna is gone...

F -

I used to think that FF7 was only gonna be about blowing up each reactor in Midgar.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I made the rookie mistake of joining a Final Fantasy forum to ask for help on FFVIII.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post

FFT: I didn't know how/that you could add other party members to the battle line up, and died repeatedly trying to solo the first battle.
    tumblr_m3o0c827ch1qmiqzl.jpg

My other two was not realizing how the menu system in FFVI worked and I was constantly taking an action for a character and then cancelling out of it. I got so frustrated I never finished the opening Narshe mission and scrapped the game saying RPGs sucked and then tried out the other game I borrowed: Secret of Mana.

In FFVII, my TV I used was rather old and the dark maps made it hard to figure out where to go sometimes. The Gaea Cliffs section was quite the journey for me, and I ended up gaining something like ten extra levels than I needed to while I was looking for the damn exit which was a black splotch on the wall that looked like most of the other black splotches just bigger. It wasn't until I accidentally hit the select button and got that stupid helping hand, that I found the exit.

In one file of FFVIII, while going through Ulitmecia's castle, I kept ignoring magic and summons as I beat the bosses because I hardly ever used themand then ran into the Red Giant Boss who has ridiculous high DEF and can only be easily beaten with magic. That battle took forever...

In FFXII, I decided to try my hand against the Saurus enemy in the starting area...

Blog Entries

Wolf just reminded me of another rookie mistake. I got stuck at the gold saucer... for like a year. I parked my tiny bronco near the mt.corel trails that lead into barrets home town. I would go outside and see my tiny bronco parked... I just couldn't get to it.

I asked my friend if he could help me cause all my characters were level 99 but I don't know how to get out of my town. He played for like 15 minutes. When he got to the screen with the bridge I took the controller away from him and told him he had to go home. Needless to say the rest of the game was easy.

In Final Fantasy XII I made the rookie mistake of opening a damn chest that for some reason, needs to be left alone. The only real mistake I did was try to beat that game without a guide.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Wolf just reminded me of another rookie mistake. I got stuck at the gold saucer... for like a year. I parked my tiny bronco near the mt.corel trails that lead into barrets home town. I would go outside and see my tiny bronco parked... I just couldn't get to it.

I asked my friend if he could help me cause all my characters were level 99 but I don't know how to get out of my town. He played for like 15 minutes. When he got to the screen with the bridge I took the controller away from him and told him he had to go home. Needless to say the rest of the game was easy.

In Final Fantasy XII I made the rookie mistake of opening a damn chest that for some reason, needs to be left alone. The only real mistake I did was try to beat that game without a guide.
    Lol. I had a similar problem. I used to try and get across that desert on foot and nearly went insane when cloud kept slipping.

I also had to ask advice from a real person, because I'd missed the shopkeeper guy telling me to take that road to The Ropeway Station. I mean why would anyone think a well oiled Ropeway Station stood right next to a shanty town?

Also its literally within the past year or two that I actually realised Corel Prison was the original Corel XD. Its pretty obvious I know but, I spend half my time playing games and the other half daydreaming while I'm pushing buttons.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

I thought Haste/shell/protect etc. was useless. They didn't do damage or heal so why use them?