Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vampires

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Braaaaaains Vampires

Next to zombies and aliens, no other movie monster has permeated pop culture as much as the not-so-friendly, often angsty, neighborhood blood sucker. So who are some of your favorite Vampire films, books, and series? Hate vampires? Why don't you explain why. Let's talk about Nosferatu and his kin.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I had a thing for vampires as a teen. This was before Twilight hit the scene. I was reading anything with them in it. So when Twilight came out, oh my angsty teenageness hated it with a passion. That wasn't what vampires were! They were more violent! And more sexy! Ughhhhhhh

• I, Vampire is a good book. It's a diary like book. It even has one of the main antagonists as Jack the Ripper which was super cool and very gruesome.
    • I really enjoyed the Anita Blake books for a while until Laurell K Hamilton went off the deep end. They were pretty good for a while!
    • Voice of the Blood had an incredibly dirty sex scene that was very awkward to be reading while I was in school in the middle of class having to read during a silent reading portion of our mandatory Study Hall class. I swear they knew what I was reading.
    • I really enjoyed Buffy and all the Vampire goodness there.
    • The first two seasons of True Blood was good then it went wonky.
    • Same for Vampire Diaries. It started well but it just ended up as too much wonky for plots. I haven't watch The Originals yet but I have it on my to-watch list.
    • I really wasn't a fan of the Anne Rice books. Her writing didn't meld with me but I do enjoy the movies made off her material. Queen of the Damned had a great soundtrack that angsty teen me loved. Tom Cruise made a better Lestat though.
    • The Blade movies are super fun!
    • Never been too keen on the original dracula movie with Nosferatu or anything. I think it's more of a I'm not big on old films kinda thing really.
    • I'm super bad at Castlevania so I don't play them.
    • I enjoyed the new Dracula: Untold movie
    • In 9th grade I was so obsessed with Vampires I wrote a report about the historical influences on the myth.
    • Dusk til Dawn amuses me.
    • Legacy of Kain was fun and I need to revisit it.
    • Van Helsing was a fun movie. I have Kate Beckingsale hair goals thanks to that movie.
    • Vampire Hunter D is a great movie.
    • Never played the Bloodrayne series.
    • Hellsing is a fun anime.
    • Blood: The Last Vampire is awesome, I wasn't a fan of the Series Blood+
    • Trinity Blood was really well animated if I remember correctly, it's been years since I watched it.
    • Never really read the Cirque Du Freak books but the movie was somewhat entertaining.

I'll think of more hahah

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I don't find the classic vampire stories such as Dracula et al to be all that compelling. Buffy was great although shifted away from being about vampires. For me though The Vampire Diaries and The Originals are smurfing superb pieces of TV writing and underrated as a result of them being shows for young people about vampires but whatevs, that's everyone else's loss and my gain! Sometimes I wish the writing teams would take over The Walking Dead, they'd do a much better job in a genre which is for whatever reason taken a little more seriously.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I THOUGHT OF MORE

• Lost boys is great. I love it.
    • Salem's Lot was a bit over my head when I tried to read it at like 12. I have never revisited it.
    • Haven't read Vampire Academy or seen the movie.
    • The Darkangel Trilogy was great according to young me. Although the final book had a ridiculous name (The Pearl of the Soul of the World)
    • Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was such a ridiculous concept and I loved it.
    • The Underworld series makes me crush on Kate Beckingsale even more.
    • 30 Days of Night, holy crap that movie
    • The new Fright Night with David Tennant is great.
    • Hotel Transylvania is one of my favorite animated movies of late. I'm going to watch the second one tonight!
    • Look for me by Moonlight weirded me out as a teen. 16 yr old getting seduced by a Vamp/old dude
    • Goodnight Kiss was probably my first Vampire book, thanks R.L. Stine.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I don't find the classic vampire stories such as Dracula et al to be all that compelling. Buffy was great although shifted away from being about vampires. For me though The Vampire Diaries and The Originals are smurfing superb pieces of TV writing and underrated as a result of them being shows for young people about vampires but whatevs, that's everyone else's loss and my gain! Sometimes I wish the writing teams would take over The Walking Dead, they'd do a much better job in a genre which is for whatever reason taken a little more seriously.
    See i stopped watching when (SPOILER) they turned elena into a vamp. I tried a few episodes but it didn't pack as much punch after that. I may pick it up again but I felt it was losing in quality at that point

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Vampires have always creeped me out somewhat, so I tend to avoid stuff involving them! Buffy/Angel are obvious exceptions, but then they are great and not solely about vampires.

Let the Right One Is is worth a mention, amazing film.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

'nuff said.

Do Myself a Mischief Vermachtnis's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Ekhi Ysengrim (Brynhildr)

My favorite vampire movie is "Dracula: Dead and Loving It."

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

I liked the concept of the Stone Mask in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It's interesting that the mask in the story originates from some Mesoamerica cult, and the vampire bats are a native species to Middle and South America.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I don't really have a fascination with them in general. Out of vampire focused fiction I enjoy Blade, True Blood, and the book Fledgling by Octavia Butler. Season 5 of American Horror Story featured vamps too, but I found it to be the least interesting aspect of it.

The Stress of Her Regard by Tim Powers and Fevre Dream by George RR Martin are great vampire books.

I also really like the World of Darkness in general for their vampires.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been rereading the Vampire Hunter D novels and I still feel it's one of most interesting takes on the creatures with a really cool setting. D is still one of my favorite vampire stories.

The Hellsing anime series is also really fun as well, the manga and newish OVA series especially. JoJo's Bizarre Adventures has some interesting takes on vampires as well, before it moved onto Stands. Never could get into Trinity Blood, or Blood: The Last Vampire.

I read a little bit about The World of Darkness Vampires but I was always more interested in the Werewolf series than the Vampires.

I love Castlevania and it's still one of my all time favorite childhood classics, even if the early games still kick my ass. Symphony of the Night is still my all-time favorite of the franchise.

I never got into Underworld, it just felt like someone taking their crossover World of Darkness campaign and turning it into a film series. I like the lore of the films but I can't say I'm a huge fan of them in general. On the other hand, I'll second Freya's comment about the Anne Rice films being pretty cool. Interview with a Vampire was pretty cool and Queen of the Damned is a bit underrated. The Blade films were pretty cool as well, especially nice since I never cared for the character in the comics, but that's the power of Wesley Snipes making him come across as cool.

I also enjoy my classic vampire films and Dracula and all that. Good stuff. Once Bitten is an awesomely hilarious film with a young Jim Carrey and a some other high profile stars. I enjoyed the Dracula remake in the 90s, despite straying a bit from the books and making Dracula a bit more sympathetic. Hotel Transylvania are some pretty cool flicks. I've been meaning to watch Let the Right One In, as I keep hearing good things about it.

I have never been a huge fan of vampires on TV though. I never liked Buffy, never had any interest in True Blood and Being Human. I did enjoy Forever Knight briefly, but even it comes across as just a knockoff of the excellent Highlander TV series. I guess I just find the vampires in series like this to be either too far on the angsty scale for my taste.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I love vampire stuff. I like Dracula (book & movies) Nosferatu, Castlevania. I like Vampires way more than Zombies.

Interview With A Vampire

Blog Entries

Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines was a great game, it's a shame the studio didn't survive
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!