View Poll Results: Romaticism vs Enlightenment

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Romanticism!

3 25.00%
  • Enlightenment!

1 8.33%
  • Both have things that are very dear to my heart! It's important to strike a balance!

4 33.33%
  • Screw all these labels - I make my own path!

3 25.00%
  • Reaganomics!

1 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romaticism vs Enlightenment!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Romaticism vs Enlightenment!

Though much older than the name would suggest, this conflict has been around for almost millenia, with divisions into apollonian and dionysian periods way back in antiquity, with the dionysian Middle Ages, apollonian Renaissance, dionysian Baroque, and so on and so forth.

So which of the general schools of thought are you more in favor of? Are you the optimistic, future-focused, science-loving pragmatist of the Enlightenment period? Or are you of the more pessimistic, nostalgic, closer to nature dreamers of Romanticism? Or perhaps you believe there needs to be a balance? Or better yet - maybe you reject all of those and consider your approach to life completely new and original?

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I take issue with the Enlightenment and its epistemic implications. Moreover, I refuse dichotomies.

Romanticism pessimistic and nostalgic? I beg to differ. Anywho, I think a balance between the two is important. I don't think the two have to be in conflict.

Blog Entries

Wow Fynn, this is a more intellectual a discussion than I thought.

I thought you meant Love life and spiritual fulfillment

In that case, I chose Romanticism. Peace and love my friends, peace and love.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    I take issue with the Enlightenment and its epistemic implications. Moreover, I refuse dichotomies.
    I know. Which is why there are five poll options?

And Carny, in most definitions of Dionysian periods, pessimism is indeed one of their traits. We had the whole Memento Mori with the Medieval period, with Baroque later coming back to it, and then Romanticism was all about uprisings and fighting oppressors which can't be done before you acknowledge that there is an oppressor and that's bad. Romanticism especially, when I think about it, with the people's romanticizing (hehe) of the past, because everything now is bad, escapism to the realm of fantasy, again, for the same reason. Romanticism is all about that pessimism and nostalgia. Of course that doesn't mean all art from that period is that - far from it. But it's a general trend.

But later WWII happened and the Holocaust and this nice dichotomy kinda fell out the window.

Personally, I like to consider myself a post-modernist and think leaning completely on one over the other is kind of naïve

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    Personally, I like to consider myself a post-modernist
    Wowser, this thread is going above my head

Epistemic? What is that?

However, I class myself as post-modern as well as Romantic.

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    And Carny, in most definitions of Dionysian periods, pessimism is indeed one of their traits. We had the whole Memento Mori with the Medieval period, with Baroque later coming back to it, and then Romanticism was all about uprisings and fighting oppressors which can't be done before you acknowledge that there is an oppressor and that's bad. Romanticism especially, when I think about it, with the people's romanticizing (hehe) of the past, because everything now is bad, escapism to the realm of fantasy, again, for the same reason. Romanticism is all about that pessimism and nostalgia. Of course that doesn't mean all art from that period is that - far from it. But it's a general trend.
    Well, me being an English Lit student, the first thing that pops into my mind when we're talking about Romanticism are the Romantic poets of the late eighteenth and nineteenth century. That's who I'm talking about when I say "I beg to differ". The Romanticism of the Romantic poets is "my" Romanticism, so that's what I'm defending as not being pessimistic or nostalgic. I understand that you might be using a broader definition, but it's not one that fits with "my" Romanticism.

To categorise the writings of the Romantic poets as being mainly pessimistic is a gross misreading. Yes, there's lot about breaking free of the chains of oppressors and oppressive dogmas, but that's not pessimistic: acknowledging the existence of oppression isn't pessimism. What's more, they believed in the possibility of a more free future, which they could help to create through their writing. Hardly a pessimistic position.

As for nostalgic, that's another misreading. Yes, the Romantic poets often evoked the notion of a past "Golden Age", but they used it primarily as a literary device to highlight the oppressive power structures of the present, not because they believed the past was actually better. The "Golden Age" was used as a symbol of what the world could be, and so in reality is more of a projection of a better future than of the past.

I'm a scientist, but modernity kinda sucks and I'm definitely a reactionary at heart. So I'll throw my lot in with the romantics.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

This all feels very Nietzschean to me. Invoking a lot of Birth of Tragedy and The Uses and Abuses of History.

Mist, it is a fancy way of saying I don't like how their theories regarding truth and value.

Strictly in Nietzschean terms, I'm much more Dionysian than Apollonian.

Edit: I consider myself a post-modern, anti-humanist with social anarchist tendencies.

Blog Entries

With the dawn of medical enhancements and cyborg bodies, it's time to be post-human.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Clo View Post
    With the dawn of medical enhancements and cyborg bodies, it's time to be post-human.
    I don't care what gets us there, as long as we get there.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

what if I'm an optimistic future-focused science-loving nostalgic dreamer?

I do want to be a robot though, please sign me up

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Sign me up, scotty.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles