Thread: It's that time of year again...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dancing Chocobo It's that time of year again...

...time for some gaming website to rank all the numbered, non-MMO entries in the Final Fantasy franchise and by extension, piss off every fan from the old NES FFI fogies, to the squalling XIII loving hipsters.

IGN'S Ranking of the Final Fantasy Series

Honestly, I actually don't mind the list, I may switch 12 and 11 with 10 and 9, and probably switch FFI and III's places but I can easily get behind the top five rankings. What are your thoughts, and how would you rank the series?

For those who can't see the list:
    IGN List
    12. II
    11. VIII
    10. XIII
    9. X
    8. III
    7. I
    6. VII
    5. V
    4. IV
    3. IX
    2. XII
    1. VI

Blog Entries

I was going along reading it, minding my own business. Then I dared to switch to page 2 and IGN flipped out on me. I thought it was only supposed to do that on my mobile

I need someone with a better internet to feed me the top 6

Why is III spoken so highly of?

I dont like the sound of II, seems like that generation's VIII to me.

I have no beef with the story in VIII, my criticism is levelled solely at the gameplay

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wait... This list. I think the only issue I have with it is FF II being last. FFX is lumped together really low with XIII, which is a breath of fresh air, and then XII IS IN SECOND PLACE?! I can't believe this! With six in first! It's almost as if I'd written this list!

Blog Entries

Where was 7 in all this?

Oh wait, thanks Kanno and Fynn. 7 isn't high enough. To think I thought the majority loved 7, its really not true.

And no Kanno, they aren't really pro 13 squalling hipsters with this. Seeing as those two are very near the bottom of the pile. And your all time favourite is at the top

4 is too high up

9 should be slightly lower

I'm happy at the position they've given 5, considering 5 is a bit unsung.

I don't agree with 12 being there.

10-2 isn't even thought of :-(
    Last edited by Midgar Mist; 05-14-2016 at 07:52 AM.

It's honestly not a bad list. Though personally the series has no actually bad games in it, so ranking them is more of a least amazing to most amazing. My own ranking with explanations that no one will read:

XIII - I don't actually dislike the game, so just because it comes last don't think I hate it. But it does have ridiculous pacing issues that put it at the bottom of this list. Though the last fourth of the game would probably rank higher.
    III - There is something about three that has always been a bit offputting to me, I find it fun, and I like the job system, but it's just not my favorite.
    II - Two is an interesting game, ahead of its time in some respects, but odd in ways that make some hate it. Personally I still enjoy it every time I play it and find the story much more interesting than that of III.
    I - The first game in the series and also the first FF I played. I love it for its simplicity and it's sense of adventure.
    VIII - This game has some incredible moments, and at its height can be one of the best, but it has issues with pacing (though not as badly as XIII), and with how easy it is to break the battle system. I love Laguna and it has one of the best soundtracks.
    IV - A great game for sure, it is only a testament to how good the following games are that it doesn't rank higher. Cecil's transformation into a Paladin is one of the best moments in the series.
    V - Best job system in the series, light and adventurous story, endlessly replayable. I do think it drags a bit in the end, but that hardly detracts from an amazing package.
    X - Many disagree, but I think X has one of the best storylines in the series. Every character had a struggle and developement, every character had a purpose. The soundtrack blows my mind too. Combine that with my favorite battle system in the series and you have one hell of a game.
    VII - I was my first game in the series, VII was my second. Odd? Probably, but man did I love this game, and still do. People say it has aged badly, but truly only in character models and localization. The prerendered backgrounds are gorgeous, the soundtrack is on par with VIII, IX, X and VI, the materia system is smurfing great, only marred by the low difficulty of battles. Cloud's plight is so unexpected and I love every moment of it.
    XII - Love it or hate it, XII did some very interesting things with its version of the ATB system. Plus the gambit system is kind of bonkers to this day. Story is great until the very final act and I still enjoyed it. Also has one of my favorite protagonists in the series: Balthier. The setting is absolutely breathtaking most of the time too. Very excited for an HD remaster to come out already!
    VI - I have a hard time placing VI. Sometimes I feel down on it, and would rate it much lower. Other times it would be number one. I am not sure what makes this specific game like that for me, but I cannot deny that it is a masterpiece. The huge and likeable cast with purpose and drive. The beautiful soundtrack. What is probably the last challenging battles in the series that aren't superbosses and my favorite last boss fight in the series.
    IX - My favorite FF game is the one that I feel embodies what the series represents the most. It is whimsy and adventure and fantasy incarnate. IX is a love letter to the series itself and all of its fans. The fact that this game got a chance to be released still surprises me, after all FFVII and VIII sold incredibly well after changing up the setting and formula, so why would they return to it? But they did and I love it.

Blog Entries

Well, if 9 is a love letter, maybe that means SE won't be stupid enough to give it a sequel.

And....I read it all

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

woah. 7 isnt 2? thats surprising

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

One of the best FFs is last? List invalidated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, I don't get that either. I mean, maybe it's cause I've only played the vastly improved and rebalanced remakes that have really left a great impression of this game in my mind? Maybe the original really was bad?