Thread: Describe the perfect dungeon.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: Describe the perfect dungeon.

We generally always have a topic about dungeon design come up every once and awhile (usually when I'm ranting about FFXIII ) but what do you feel is the criteria for a perfect dungeon? So basically I'm asking you what your favorite dungeon from any RPG/MMORPG is and why it's the best for you?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I already know what's going to happen here.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This is a weird one but the King's Fall raid in Destiny is a work of art. When it first dropped it was the most perfect mix of fun and frustration. It required FPS skill, really solid communication, puzzle solving, composure, and platforming.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Pheesh View Post
    This is a weird one but the King's Fall raid in Destiny is a work of art. When it first dropped it was the most perfect mix of fun and frustration. It required FPS skill, really solid communication, puzzle solving, composure, and platforming.
    Don't go saying that on the Bungie forums. They say its horrible. i agree with you. Crota's End was the worst.

A perfect dungeon for me in an RPG is one that isnt too long, Has relevence to the Plot, interesting fights, NOT a straight line, and has good music.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Don't go saying that on the Bungie forums. They say its horrible. i agree with you. Crota's End was the worst.
    I would be surprised if there was anyone who had that sentiment when it first came out. Like most MMO dungeons it grows tedious and easy after you have the best gear and know what you're doing. But for a solid couple of months there that raid remained challenging and fun at least for me and the groups that I ran it with.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    I would be surprised if there was anyone who had that sentiment when it first came out. Like most MMO dungeons it grows tedious and easy after you have the best gear and know what you're doing. But for a solid couple of months there that raid remained challenging and fun at least for me and the groups that I ran it with.
    I still find it fun after 80 completes. i havent seen a thing like that in any FPS.
    You'd think standing still sniping 2 bosses then doing some running would be boring from the start. eh idk.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like dungeons with puzzles, ideally. But even if that's not there, at least make them long and make me think about the layout and how to use it to my advantage. Involved dungeons are awesome. One of the reasons why I liked the Pharos so much.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I disagree with Fynn. I do not enjoy puzzles because more often then not it leads to incredible frustration for me which then leads to me having to look up a walkthrough and figure out what's going on. I'm not good at them and I don't enjoy them unless they're straight forward.

I like visually pleasing and creative dungeons. I'm sick of dark cave, I like to see some new stuff with colours and textures that wow me. I also like when they're more story relevant than "We need to go to Y village. Oh no, random generic dungeon blocks our path, gee whiz!"

Blog Entries

Setting: I usually prefer buildings to natural environments, they have more potential for unique creative design, ruins which are a bit of a mix between natural and man made are also acceptable

Layout: The building usually needs to make sense as a building. Sure that long hall way makes for a nice filler room but why was it there before this place was a dungeon? I'd like it to look like it would be a nice place to hang out before it became a fortress filled with my enemies. Logical room layout makes exploring more fun.

Directions: A semi clear indication of when you are going the right way just so I can search every nook and cranny before proceeding. Less important if the game has set enemies and rooms can be cleared instead of random encounters.

Variety: Some Grand spacious rooms that shock and awe me by their scale, some small intimate rooms where every item tells a story

Set pieces: they use the area design to their advantage, surprise ambushes from places enemies would logically hide for surprise ambushes, and lots of environmental interactions, like touch the old chandelier, and it come crashing down or whatever, maybe some environmental based puzzles where I have to be observant and explore the dungeon for a solution.

Other stuff I like but aren't necessary depending on the context:
    Water features
    Spiral staircases
    Being able to get onto the roof and see everything in the surrounding area
    Neutral NPC's with a story to tell about the area
    Statues/painting/other works of art

These are all really things I prefer for level designs in general, not really RPG dungeon specific.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 05-23-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

One room with a beautiful maiden just handing you the damn treasure.