Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54

Thread: Terra Tina Kefka Cefca

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    It may not imply any particular pronunciation in some languages, but we are talking about the American translation here, ...
    "Cefca" is in not the "the English translation" though (I might have misunderstood you though and you just meant "it should also not have been used as such") - I mean, what is hard to say about "do you know this guy Sefka" - "oh, actually he is Kefka" - "uh, but he is written with a c" - "yes but Cs are not always pronounced as s, sometimes they are a ts, a ch and rarely even a k, also the name is made up". Whenever you see something in games or manuals or somewhere else and that comes from Japan it is not automatically meant to be English and I have explained that already. I do not deny that the person who wrote Cefca probably does not know English rules fully but I have already explained multiple aspects about Japanese that show why Cefca is perfectly fine, especially as we do not know in which mindset it was written or if such a mindset was used at all - even after years and many retcons Cefca still exists, so even more to assume it was not written under a misunderstanding. And as said, what would you say about poor Mr. Tolkien, an English speaking person using "Ce" and "Ci" like "Ke" and "Ki". Also, as said, I have heard and read English speaking people getting very upset about bring corrected whenever the mispronounce or write something that is definitely based on a fact so we are very much talking about double standards here. You try to tell Japan has made a big mistake which they did not but how many mistranslations did other countries actually make. I can also say by your rules "Cyan" is totally and absolutely nonsensically translated. Why? Because he is written in Katakana as "Kaien" and meant to be "Cayenne". So how would an English speaking person knowing Japanese and English rules assume that "Cyan" is right when "Cy" is also typically pronounced as "Sai" while they have seen the first katakana is "Ka" mimicing the sound of a hard pronounced "Ca"? You see, we can endlessly play this game. And as said, not everything written in Japanese is meant to be English, not everything has to follow ordinary rules and of course and I think we should also not forget that, whenever I make up a name, I should still be allowed to decide about that name. Hell, by following strict rules Lovecraft would not have been allowed to say his character Cthulu has NO PROPER way of getting perfectly pronounced and that "K'tooloo is only the most proper way because they actual pronounciation is not possible for us". This is language, something so versatile and then even mixed with own ideas which makes it even more versatile. That is why I think that even in English Cefca would have been okay. I still see so many other names mispronounced, so one more would really not matter, how often have I heard people saying "it is Ba-haa-met", when it is, factually Bahamut (Bahamuuto) with a short a and a long u (or for what it is worth, a German like me a relatively normal u). So yeah, stop ganging up on poor Cefca. He is a clown, his life is hard enough.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-19-2016 at 01:59 PM.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    279

    Default

    I am not saying that the Japanese "Cefca" spelling is incorrect in any way, what I am saying though is that I don't see any good reason to use that spelling in English versions of the game when the pronunciation "Kefka" has already been well established.
    Every FF6 enthusiast knows that his name is normally pronounced "Kefka", and almost nobody says "Sefka".
    This seems like a classical "if it's not broke, don't fix it" kind of scenario.
    There is no concrete reason to change "Kefka" into anything else, just like there would be no reason to change "Vivi" in FF9 into "Bibi", or "Auron" in FF10 into "Aaron".
    Another completely pointless change from FF Tactics is the change from the wonderfully simple "Magic Song" into "Magickal Refrain" - like, what?

    Compare these changes to changing "Nuke" into "Flare" in FF1, or the horrendous "Fire Bracelet" into "Fire Breath" in FF Tactics, and I think you can see what I mean.

  3. #33

  4. #34
    Ta-Ra-Raspooteen Cid's Knight Night Fury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11,511
    Articles
    156
    Blog Entries
    28

    FFXIV Character

    Liara Lavender (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

    Default



  5. #35
    Famine Wolf Cid's Knight Sephex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Solar System
    Posts
    12,117
    Articles
    2
    Blog Entries
    55

    Default

    Man, Kefka is awesome.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    English is not the only language in the world and the intent can be understood. How many English people mispronounce words like Worcester? HM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    I am not saying that the Japanese "Cefca" spelling is incorrect in any way, what I am saying though is that I don't see any good reason to use that spelling in English versions of the game when the pronunciation "Kefka" has already been well established.
    Every FF6 enthusiast knows that his name is normally pronounced "Kefka", and almost nobody says "Sefka".
    This seems like a classical "if it's not broke, don't fix it" kind of scenario.
    There is no concrete reason to change "Kefka" into anything else, just like there would be no reason to change "Vivi" in FF9 into "Bibi", or "Auron" in FF10 into "Aaron".
    Another completely pointless change from FF Tactics is the change from the wonderfully simple "Magic Song" into "Magickal Refrain" - like, what?

    Compare these changes to changing "Nuke" into "Flare" in FF1, or the horrendous "Fire Bracelet" into "Fire Breath" in FF Tactics, and I think you can see what I mean.
    Your example is not appropriate though. Bibi and Aaron do actually stand for Vivi and Auron (the "Aa" comes more from something like a German version of "Aura", as it would not be like "Ora" but more like you guys say "ow" and if you stretch that a bit you can sort of hear a long a, I cannot explain that better, just like Japanese people write Rebirth as Ribasu, because the "err" sound in English could if you pay attention contain some sort of "a" sound) They are also intended as Vivi and Auron even in Japan. Just as Zakkusu is not intended as "Zax" but as Zack and also written "Zack" in the main menu of the Japanese version of Crisis Core.

    Anyway, let's top here. Let's better talk about how stupid I think "Stragus Magus" is.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 05-19-2016 at 07:15 PM.

  7. #37
    Killer of Conversations Galuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Shot land.
    Posts
    3,379
    Blog Entries
    2

    FFXIV Character

    Galuf Luna (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Bibi Baggins.
    Lady Jen and Me <3

  8. #38

    Default

    Kefka- It just looks like a name a villain would have, Cefka not so much.

    Terra- Just feels so unique and refreshing, like Terra comes from a different world.

    Sabin- Feels more prince-y, like you knew that he grew up in a royal kingdom. I do love Mash though, because it reminds me of Mash Potatoes.

    Aeris- Aerith sounds like you are trying to say ' Aeris ' but you have a awful lisp, like Aeri-fwthhh.



  9. #39
    Killer of Conversations Galuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Shot land.
    Posts
    3,379
    Blog Entries
    2

    FFXIV Character

    Galuf Luna (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Aeris- Aerith sounds like you are trying to say ' Aeris ' but you have a awful lisp, like Aeri-fwthhh.
    uh oh..... Itsa gonna start again.
    Lady Jen and Me <3

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Sabin- Feels more prince-y, like you knew that he grew up in a royal kingdom. I do love Mash though, because it reminds me of Mash Potatoes.
    I like the name "Sabin" as well.
    It's interesting however that his Japanese name, "Masshu", seems to aim at something like "Matt", "Matthew" or "Mathias", and that would also fit him really well.

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Sabin- Feels more prince-y, like you knew that he grew up in a royal kingdom. I do love Mash though, because it reminds me of Mash Potatoes.
    I like the name "Sabin" as well.
    It's interesting however that his Japanese name, "Masshu", seems to aim at something like "Matt", "Matthew" or "Mathias", and that would also fit him really well.
    "Mash" actually was written with Matthias in mind.

  12. #42
    tech spirit
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Virgo supercluster
    Posts
    17,920
    Articles
    2
    Blog Entries
    2

    FFXIV Character

    Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Mathias, Matthew or something like that would fit better than sabin, considering his brother's name is Edgar. Mash just looks dumb in English.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

  13. #43

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ghost Kingdom
    Posts
    1,546
    Blog Entries
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galuf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Aeris- Aerith sounds like you are trying to say ' Aeris ' but you have a awful lisp, like Aeri-fwthhh.
    uh oh..... Itsa gonna start again.
    Cheer up Galuf, generating debate is what keeps threads going.

    I could throw more specific opinions in about pronunciation but I prefer to stay on the story based things.

  14. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    Sabin- Feels more prince-y, like you knew that he grew up in a royal kingdom. I do love Mash though, because it reminds me of Mash Potatoes.
    I like the name "Sabin" as well.
    It's interesting however that his Japanese name, "Masshu", seems to aim at something like "Matt", "Matthew" or "Mathias", and that would also fit him really well.
    "Mash" actually was written with Matthias in mind.
    Matthias sounds good for a prince character, but not somebody who wants to escape the royal life and become a warrior monk. Matt could've been a good nickname for him later on in the game though. Matt throughout the main game, but Matthias during the childhood flashback with Edgar.

    Or Mash throughout the main game and Matthias during the flashback, would've been neat too.



  15. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Mathias, Matthew or something like that would fit better than sabin, considering his brother's name is Edgar. Mash just looks dumb in English.
    That's one thing that I really dislike about some remakes - the unwise name change decisions.
    "Mash" does not look good at all in English, it may be "funny" but it's a pretty silly name, and hard to take seriously.
    Same thing with the stupid change from "Banon" to "Banan" as well, by the way.
    "Banon" just sounds so much cooler and works better with the English language - "Banan" just looks weird.

    There are lots of stupid things like this in all kinds of remakes and fanmade versions;
    I seriously once heard of a fan version of this game where they had translated "Kearu" as "Keal" - eh, okay?
    What the hell is "Keal"?
    What was so wrong about "Cure", which by the way is most likely the intended name anyway?
    And even worse, I believe Cure 3 was called "Kealga" or something.
    I will never understand these kinds of decisions.

    It's almost like they are going all George Lucas over the original translation, like "here, these are the actual names that should be used, forget about the names in the 1994 version for the SNES, let's replace them if we have the slightest excuse to do so".
    Last edited by Peter1986; 05-21-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •