Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 54 of 54

Thread: Terra Tina Kefka Cefca

  1. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Mathias, Matthew or something like that would fit better than sabin, considering his brother's name is Edgar. Mash just looks dumb in English.
    That's one thing that I really dislike about some remakes - the unwise name change decisions.
    "Mash" does not look good at all in English, it may be "funny" but it's a pretty silly name, and hard to take seriously.
    Same thing with the stupid change from "Banon" to "Banan" as well, by the way.
    "Banon" just sounds so much cooler and works better with the English language - "Banan" just looks weird.

    There are lots of stupid things like this in all kinds of remakes and fanmade versions;
    I seriously once heard of a fan version of this game where they had translated "Kearu" as "Keal" - eh, okay?
    What the hell is "Keal"?
    What was so wrong about "Cure", which by the way is most likely the intended name anyway?
    And even worse, I believe Cure 3 was called "Kealga" or something.
    I will never understand these kinds of decisions.

    It's almost like they are going all George Lucas over the original translation, like "here, these are the actual names that should be used, forget about the names in the 1994 version for the SNES, let's replace them if we have the slightest excuse to do so".

    They wrote "Keal" because the magic "Cure" is written with the katakana "Ke-a-ru". That could either try to imitiate the sound of "Care", or, and that is surely the actually intended thing: "Cure" for real, because it always has been like this. If you say "Cure" there is this very short "e" sound in it, just like you sometimes can hear out some sort of "a" sound in the normal "err" sound that is in words like "birth" and "bird" (thus "ribasu").

  2. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Mathias, Matthew or something like that would fit better than sabin, considering his brother's name is Edgar. Mash just looks dumb in English.
    That's one thing that I really dislike about some remakes - the unwise name change decisions.
    "Mash" does not look good at all in English, it may be "funny" but it's a pretty silly name, and hard to take seriously.
    Same thing with the stupid change from "Banon" to "Banan" as well, by the way.
    "Banon" just sounds so much cooler and works better with the English language - "Banan" just looks weird.

    There are lots of stupid things like this in all kinds of remakes and fanmade versions;
    I seriously once heard of a fan version of this game where they had translated "Kearu" as "Keal" - eh, okay?
    What the hell is "Keal"?
    What was so wrong about "Cure", which by the way is most likely the intended name anyway?
    And even worse, I believe Cure 3 was called "Kealga" or something.
    I will never understand these kinds of decisions.

    It's almost like they are going all George Lucas over the original translation, like "here, these are the actual names that should be used, forget about the names in the 1994 version for the SNES, let's replace them if we have the slightest excuse to do so".

    They wrote "Keal" because the magic "Cure" is written with the katakana "Ke-a-ru". That could either try to imitiate the sound of "Care", or, and that is surely the actually intended thing: "Cure" for real, because it always has been like this. If you say "Cure" there is this very short "e" sound in it, just like you sometimes can hear out some sort of "a" sound in the normal "err" sound that is in words like "birth" and "bird" (thus "ribasu").
    "Care" is pretty interesting, I always thought that "Kearu" seemed to sound a bit different from "Cure".
    I would expect "Cure" to be transliterated as "Kyu-A-Ru" or something (or something starting with "Kyu-"), but maybe it is easier for Japanese people to pronounce it like "Ke-A-Ru".
    Last edited by Peter1986; 05-22-2016 at 02:42 PM.

  3. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1986 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Mathias, Matthew or something like that would fit better than sabin, considering his brother's name is Edgar. Mash just looks dumb in English.
    That's one thing that I really dislike about some remakes - the unwise name change decisions.
    "Mash" does not look good at all in English, it may be "funny" but it's a pretty silly name, and hard to take seriously.
    Same thing with the stupid change from "Banon" to "Banan" as well, by the way.
    "Banon" just sounds so much cooler and works better with the English language - "Banan" just looks weird.

    There are lots of stupid things like this in all kinds of remakes and fanmade versions;
    I seriously once heard of a fan version of this game where they had translated "Kearu" as "Keal" - eh, okay?
    What the hell is "Keal"?
    What was so wrong about "Cure", which by the way is most likely the intended name anyway?
    And even worse, I believe Cure 3 was called "Kealga" or something.
    I will never understand these kinds of decisions.

    It's almost like they are going all George Lucas over the original translation, like "here, these are the actual names that should be used, forget about the names in the 1994 version for the SNES, let's replace them if we have the slightest excuse to do so".

    They wrote "Keal" because the magic "Cure" is written with the katakana "Ke-a-ru". That could either try to imitiate the sound of "Care", or, and that is surely the actually intended thing: "Cure" for real, because it always has been like this. If you say "Cure" there is this very short "e" sound in it, just like you sometimes can hear out some sort of "a" sound in the normal "err" sound that is in words like "birth" and "bird" (thus "ribasu").
    "Care" is pretty interesting, I always thought that "Kearu" seemed to sound a bit different from "Cure".
    I would expect "Cure" to be transliterated as "Kyu-A-Ru" or something (or something starting with "Kyu-"), but maybe it is easier for Japanese people to pronounce it like "Ke-A-Ru".
    I also was surprised the first time I saw it in Crisis Core as I would write something like "Ki-yu-u-ru" (Kyuuru) or something like Kyuaru, like you said. but apparently the Kearu is normal and as mentioned, I can see why. There are alwase those "hidden sounds in words". You have to imagine it like that. I know it pretty much could still be imitated with something like the "i/y" but "e" seems to be the way to go ordinarily in Japanese here.

  4. #49
    Resident Critic Ayen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Posts
    13,160
    Articles
    12
    Blog Entries
    76

    Default

    I prefer Terra and Kefka, because I was told by a mysterious man in white if I ever uttered the other names I would be killed in my sleep.

  5. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    I prefer Terra and Kefka, because I was told by a mysterious man in white if I ever uttered the other names I would be killed in my sleep.
    Personally I think that any FF6 forum should stick to the names that are consistent with that specific forum.
    It's just annoying when people use names from different versions, because a lot of people on that forum will be unfamiliar with those different names.
    I have seem people on the forum for the original 1998 PSX version translation of "Star Ocean: The Second Story" on GameFaqs talk about characters that don't even exist in that version just randomly without specifying what version they are talking about, and that makes no sense - and I was not the only one who got a reaction like "...what?".
    Those people should visit the forums for the other more recent versions, or at the very least specify that they are talking about "Second Evolution" or whatever version the hip kids are playing today instead of being like "lol so this Second Evolution version is like the only version that has ever existed, so no doubt everyone is 100% familiar with everything in that version".
    Last edited by Peter1986; 06-14-2016 at 06:03 PM.

  6. #51
    Radical Dreamer Cid's Knight Fynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tower of the Swallow
    Posts
    16,793
    Articles
    56
    Blog Entries
    16

    FFXIV Character

    A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

    Default

    There's not exactly anything wrong with people referring to characters with the names that they prefer. And it sure as hell doesn't seem reasonable for a forum to impose a rule that requires people to use a specific name.

  7. #52
    Killer of Conversations Galuf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Shot land.
    Posts
    3,379
    Blog Entries
    2

    FFXIV Character

    Galuf Luna (Sargatanas)

    Default

    i read a walkthrough for a lvl 1 run of IX.

    amarant was called salamander, i never knew that.

    so i just looked it up and boom.
    I think everyone can use what name they want, if you dont know then just look it up.
    Lady Jen and Me <3

  8. #53
    Radical Dreamer Cid's Knight Fynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tower of the Swallow
    Posts
    16,793
    Articles
    56
    Blog Entries
    16

    FFXIV Character

    A'nutoh Tia (Sargatanas)

    Default

    Well, the issue here is that none of the English names are the actual names - we are talking about a Japanese game with multiple localizations that fans are aware of at this point in time. Just because one localization was first and another recitifies a choice later doesn't make any one of them more or less valid. Though from a creative standpoint, the newer translations take precedent over the old ones, due to localizing teams having more freedom due to better communication, as well as more guidance from the original content creators, so the newer translations of names and stuff can be considered more accurate and more in line with the intended effect of the Japanese version.

    The FFVI GBA remake was far from obscure, as SE was very eagerly hyping up the Finest Fantasy for Advance line, clearly wanting it to leave a lasting impression on old fans and new generations alike. That said, the FFVI retranslation didn't change much, in fact leaving in a lot of literal Woolseyisms because they worked better than the original. FFIV is a different case because it currently has two vastly different translations that can be considered "canon" but are vastly different in style. At least they keep the terminology consistend.

    As for guides - I don't know what FAQs you follow, but from what I noticed on GameFAQs, the platform is always given and a disclaimer at the beginning usually says what version the walkthrough is based on.

  9. #54
    *permanent smite* Spuuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Hell, eventually.
    Posts
    3,153

    Default

    Cefca is aesthetically revolting and Kefka is not. So it seems like an obvious choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •