Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Opinions you (or others) don't understand.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

People who get invested too much on other people's tastes. It's cool to talk about what people like and don't like, but when people get all up in arms if they play a game in a style they don't, play on a platform they don't, or just do anything they don't like...that gets weird. The older you are the dumber you look for doing that in my opinion.

I used to be guilty of this in the past until one day I realized how silly I looked. Why should I care of someone doesn't enjoy something I like and vice versa? Again, trading points of views and actually discussing gaming can be fun. However, I find that 99% of the time "discussions" devolve into screaming matches or outright negative sass like a political discussion on television.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by TheKeybasHKey View Post
    What i don't really understand why is so wrong with games that use figurines. People see it like a bad thing and yet they buy Amiibo, which there functions are not that very useful.
    Well from my perspective I've never liked the idea because I hate when I can pay full price for a game but then they try to get me to spend more money on these other things to get the most out of it. I won't begrudge anyone their right to enjoy it, it's just not for me. I'd prefer to pay the full price for the game and have that be it.

Anyway, I'm not sure I can think of many. There are plenty of things I don't get really but they just aren't for me. I guess since Pike reminded me of it earlier, I don't get why people were surprised that you're Revan in KotoR.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I also never really understood why people dislike the later gen Pokemon. I mean, I guess I understand how nostalgia lets them give some of the terrible old designs a pass, but honestly, every generation has cool and uncool Pokemon and you just gotta take the good with the bad. The gameplay improvements overtime, along with improved graphics, are really what make the new gens a lot better than the old ones. And yet a whole bunch of people just refuse to acknowledge anything past the first 151 Pokemon.

Also, I have no idea why generation 5 is so disliked. It is my favorite generation, not only for its Pokemon, but also its story, characters, and general tone and feel of the world. Gen 6 almost feels like it rested on its laurels by just giving us better graphics and more older Pokemon, but not introducing anything as substantially meaningful to the series as generation 5. I'm guessing part of the reason people like it so much is that you get to choose a gen 1 starter again?

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think the main thing about Gen V is the Pokemon designs. I hear people cackling at the ice cream cone pokemon very often.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

And yet they overlook the mimes, magnets, and piles of sludge That's the thing. Nostalgia is the problem, not the designs themselves, because none of them are objectively better or worse.

BUT THAT'S A WHOLE 'NOTHER CAN OF WORMS THAT SHOULDN'T PROBABLY BE OPENED IN THIS THREAD

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    And yet they overlook the mimes, magnets, and piles of sludge That's the thing. Nostalgia is the problem, not the designs themselves, because none of them are objectively better or worse.

BUT THAT'S A WHOLE 'NOTHER CAN OF WORMS THAT SHOULDN'T PROBABLY BE OPENED IN THIS THREAD
    As someone who was at the tail end of High School when Pokemon came out, I can say that the designs always looked really silly to me from day one. I still enjoy the series, though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post

I think Generation I gets a grace period because it was the first one, and maybe the more they design pokemon the better they should be? And you are right, there is some nostalgia attached: the magnet pokemon was and still is one of the quintessential electric pokemon.

Blog Entries

Some of my recent threads/posts have illustrated how I don't understand this high importance placed on graphics. The love of good graphics seems to be quite a strong opinion held by many gamers of today.

Also, I don't get opinions about Mario. I've never been able to get into it.

(Waits for the firing squad)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm experiencing this with Uncharted 4 at the minute. Everyone is going on like it's the greatest game ever made and I couldn't disagree more. Apart from great graphics and voice acting, there is nothing new at all. Granted I haven't finished the game yet but I honestly don't have the urge to. It's not a patch on the previous two instalments.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post
    Some of my recent threads/posts have illustrated how I don't understand this high importance placed on graphics. The love of good graphics seems to be quite a strong opinion held by many gamers of today.

No, you're right: Mario doesn't really grab me. There are exceptions. I smurfing love Mario Kart, and I'll play Super Smash (and fail miserably) all the time. But the mainline series? Eh...

Quote Originally Posted by Midgar Mist View Post

Don't worry I'm not into Mario either. The game just seems like the same thing each time, expect with something 'new' each time.

I do not understand how The Last of Us is called the best game of the last 10 years. I think it is an incredibly good game and deserves to be liked much but the best game of the last 10 years? As often as I have played it, just no.

I don't understand how anyone can seriously think Mass Effect 1 is better than Mass Effect 2. It's a minority opinion but it exists and it bewilders me to no end. ME1 wasn't even a very good game while ME2 is one of the best games of all time.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can seriously think Mass Effect 1 is better than Mass Effect 2. It's a minority opinion but it exists and it bewilders me to no end. ME1 wasn't even a very good game while ME2 is one of the best games of all time.
    Just playing through these at the minute. I'm near the end of ME1 and I'm actually loving it! Very excited to see what ME2 will have to offer

After playing through Metal Gear Solid V I was left wondering why IGN gave the game a 10/10. It was a solid 8. While MGSV had awesome combat it suffered from an anticlimactic story and an empty game world.

The Internet's explosion of love over Pokemon Sun and Moon.
    As someone who grew up with Pokemon I have been very disappointed in it's lack of growth and maturity as a series. The latest games look oh so disappointing.