Thread: What do you think the future holds for House Tyrell?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Default What do you think the future holds for House Tyrell?

It's something I've been wondering about.

House Tyrell has some fantastic characters and it's a shame that other houses have had more screen time, both in the shows and in the books. Indeed, it would've been great to have a Tyrell POV character in the books to try to understand their motivations. The star of the show is of course Olenna, and I don't think I know of anyone who doesn't absolutely love her combination of shrewdness and bluntness. Margaery takes after her although is a lot more tactful, ambitious and charismatic and is another character I think is great. Then you have the delightful Mace who is a complete bumbling idiot and is just a figurehead, but he is lovable in his own way. I'm not as much of a fan of the show Loras as I am book Loras as he played much more to that gallant knight stereotype but subverting it with his Renly love, which again felt more believable and real in the books.

They've done remarkably well and are the only Great House not to see any deaths whatsoever since the series began. They mistakenly backed a traitor to the Iron Throne in Renly and suffered no ill consequences from either Stannis or the Iron Throne itself. Indeed, they were quite fortunate to have the enemy of my enemy reasoning to side with the Lannisters against Stannis and to get Margaery in as queen. They also straight up assassinated the king, their ally, and got away with it scot free.

Suffice to say, they are playing with absolute fire. In this series we've seen time and time again that actions have consequences and I can't believe they're going to walk away from all of this unharmed. In the show it seems as though their downfall may come through the Sparrows, although I think their action of killing Joffrey has also contributed - it gave Cersei power and it made her more unstable, and she both armed the Sparrows and has been plotting against House Tyrell for some time. In the books (and possibly the future of the show) (SPOILER)I suspect a Euron shaped cloud is going to hang over Oldtown and then Highgarden!

What do you think the endgame holds for the Tyrells?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    What do you think the endgame holds for the Tyrells?
    It's a good question. I can actually them beginning to crumble, actually, in a really tragic way. If you consider Season Six Spoilers that the Tyrells will probably be asked to send soldiers towards King's Landing, so as to depose the High Sparrow and his cronies, then that leaves Highgarden and The Reach very undefended. If Euron comes along and starts raiding, that can end badly. If Dorne decides to start messing things up as well, The Reach can be pinched from two sides.

I hope we see more of them. They faded out throughout much of Season 5, mainly because their two principle characters were locked up for half of it.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I think if the grandmother dies they will start to crumble.

Mace Tyrell is the one true king.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Their future is dark and full of terrors.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I think if the grandmother dies they will start to crumble.
    I think so, too. And I'm sure that Cersei is planning to screw Olenna over somehow with this whole attacking the Faith Militant thing, which might end up with her dying. On the other hand, I wouldn't put it past Olenna to have a trick or two up her sleeve. I wouldn't count House Tyrell out just yet.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I do predict House Tyrell to fall spectacularly in a sort of 'oh wow, that house got destroyed!' shock twist. I mean, the Starks were pretty much on the rocks since the end of season one, and the Baratheons was pretty much down to their last member for a long time with Stannis, so it wasn't a massive surprise when they fell.

The Martell fall was pretty shocking, though.