Thread: The COD Infinite Warfare Trailer

Default The COD Infinite Warfare Trailer

So, the eighth sixth second most disliked video on YouTube is currently a game trailer. I decided to take a look at it. Actually got pretty hyped.

I mean, it opened with the Brotherhood of Nod launching an invasion against the GDI's defenses (which are unprepared yet again), showed off some new units, several returning units, and the graphics are head and tails above anything Command and Conquer has thrown at us before, outside of the live-action cutscenes the series is famous for. The two biggest troubles were that they didn't show off Kane, and that there was no display of the usual over-the-top and awesome acting that the series is known and loved for.

After that, it for some reason switched to showing off the new Mass Effect game? Which was certainly unexpected, but hey, I love that series too. Integrating freefall sections into the combat could certainly be a fun twist, though with ME2 and ME3 having such a huge focus on cover-based combat, I do wonder how it will play out, and how intuitive and free it will truly be. The mechs returning isn't great, though it is expected. I would have vastly preferred to see some of the aliens (show me a Krogan swinging across a room weightlessly, and just crashing into his enemies, yes, please), because they are a huge part of the universe. But, still, good reveal.

The big problem, of course, is that this wasn't a Command and Conquer trailer, or a Mass Effect trailer, but rather, one for a Call of Duty game. Which just had me scratching my head. I mean, I didn't HATE the trailer (though I do think that the "oh no, we've been betrayed by people we trusted and didn't guard against" thing is overplayed by this point). I do enjoy sci-fi settings, and I quite liked some of the vibes. I think the story is likely to be a bit lacking for me to truly enjoy it, but I did think there was some promise to the trailer.

But it isn't, at all, what I think of when I think of Call of Duty, and I can see why the fans of that series would not be happy with this trailer. I think that they went too far sci-fi, too fast. The spaceships are frankly absurd. When your hovercraft makes S.H.I.E.L.D.'s heli-carrier look realistic, you've gone too far. The ground based sections at times made it look like a "speculative look at how future combat may play out", but then they coupled that with the AI mechs, the hovercraft that stay aloft by glowing circles underneath them, and a huge, huge portion of the trailer being taken up specifically by showing how far-future it was, with the launch to space and the clash between two fleets. In space.

That last bit is where I think things truly broke. Where did that come from? Where did those fleets come from? Are we fighting another planet? When did we colonize them? When did we let them build a fleet of spaceships?

It just went too deep, too fast. Have us putting down an insurrection on a newly colonized world, or stopping takeovers of spacecraft. Ease people into this. But we go from "near future of some twenty years hence" to "we've colonized other worlds and built fleets of spaceships just so we can have these massive fights". How? Why? When? It's a jump that's too big for most of the players to connect with, and doesn't well suit what the series is known for or centered around.

But, it might be a fun sci-fi shooter, if the story isn't terrible.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 05-19-2016 at 12:14 AM.

Let them go crazy with all this new stuff. I can respect their decision to take such a huge step further into sci-fi that no-one was expecting. Question is whether they can surpass shooters like Titanfall or Destiny (or even Star Wars: Battlefront) in this kind of setting. I feel like the recent CoDs have been copying/following more than innovating themselves.

Also ironic that the new Battlefield 1 is set in World War 1. That is diversity I can dig!

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Honestly I watched it out of sheer curiosity of why it was getting so much negative feedback from Call of Duty fans and it's the first CoD I've seen that looks like something I'd actually want to play.

I don't get the hate.
    I like Kung-Fu.

As I haven't been a Call of Duty fan since Call of Duty 4 (nah, not even MW2), this looks... not immediately awful? I mean, if there's an interesting story/characters/game mechanics in there, I can get into the setting, definitely.

That's a lot of big 'ifs' though, and I think I've been saying that about almost every Call of Duty since Black Ops.

These days I think I just want someone to make a modern COD3, or Medal of Honor: Frontline.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

who thought that that bowie cover would be a good idea

Are there any forum members here who do enjoy the franchise regularly? I'd love to see their opinion. Those of us who don't usually play the games don't seem to mind it, but what of the core audience?

Blog Entries

I didn't know they still made these games. I liked the 10 year old COD4 death animation at the 0:50 mark though.

there was a picture here

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

I kind of gave up playing COD after being a huge fan. I'm only talking specifically about the multiplayer which I'd say 95% of people buy the game for. I didn't play the last few installments but bought the latest one Black Ops 3. It looks like a cartoon. It isn't just ground to ground combat anymore. People are shooting lasers and flamethrowers while running on vertical walls or jumping 50 feet in the air with jet packs. It's not realistic and it's as far away from a traditional war game than you can imagine. I visited some COD boards and read some Youtube comments recently. All the vast majority of people wanted was realistic war settings, whether that be 'Modern Warfare' or past wars such as WW2 or Vietnam. Infinity Ward/Treyarch simply didn't want to listen. No amount of having a good trailer was gonna save the retaliation of fans. They deserve the hate.

Str8 Pimpin'

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    I kind of gave up playing COD after being a huge fan. I'm only talking specifically about the multiplayer which I'd say 95% of people buy the game for. I didn't play the last few installments but bought the latest one Black Ops 3. It looks like a cartoon. It isn't just ground to ground combat anymore. People are shooting lasers and flamethrowers while running on vertical walls or jumping 50 feet in the air with jet packs. It's not realistic and it's as far away from a traditional war game than you can imagine. I visited some COD boards and read some Youtube comments recently. All the vast majority of people wanted was realistic war settings, whether that be 'Modern Warfare' or past wars such as WW2 or Vietnam. Infinity Ward/Treyarch simply didn't want to listen. No amount of having a good trailer was gonna save the retaliation of fans. They deserve the hate.
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I had always associated the series with a "realistic" and grounded approach to combat, normally through historic wars and skirmishes. But, having never played it, it was the perspective of an outsider. So I was wondering how the fans would react.

Also, it's now the second most disliked video on YouTube. It has a long way to go to catch Mr. Bieber's "Baby", but sweet bajeebas, that's a lot of dislikes.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

Go back to WW2 plz. Finest hour was awesome. but the mw2 came and ruined all