Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemonade

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin Lemonade

Wooooah, there is a lot to unpack here, I am patiently waiting for Roxane Gay to gather her thoughts on this visual album masterpiece. There is a lot that I like - that you are supposed to listen to Lemonade in one go as opposed to picking up radio-friendly singles; that it could be the world's greatest kiss-off; that here we have a black woman who is allowed to express her pain and be imperfect. There's also a lot to critique - where are the fat people, or the butch people? Are you including trauma victims in your art or simply using them as accessories?

Meanwhile, as a student of The Information School studying Information Science and pushing social justice/intersectionality on people, I am lobbying to make "Formation" our official anthem xD

Discuss!

PS - Eww, why is "The Beyhive" so intent on messing with MIA or Rachel Roy or whoever, while Jay Z just gets to sit around unbothered and unaccountable (For rumours and assumed infidelity, sure, but again, why is it always the women who get slut-shamed?)

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I thought the Visual Album was great! I had to argue with my mom and sister about it. It was airing before Game of Thrones on sunday. They weren't interested in it and I told them they were missing out! I need to actually get the album now though. I just watched the visual album. It felt very raw, I loved it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I couldn't stop laughing at all the Beyoncé fans going ham on Rachael Ray's Instagram thinking she was Jay Z's mistress. One comment on a picture of some sloppy joe's was particularly amazing. It was something to the effect of "I came here to talk smack but those burgers look good as hell."

That is the extent of my knowledge about this album.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

It starts slowly, picks up around Don't Hurt Yourself, gets a bit sloppy around the middle of the album and then finishes off with three strong songs. Freedom is easily the best thing on it. So not sure it's a consistently great album on early listens but there's some very good songs on there. It's getting hard to have any rational discourse about Beyonce online though, it's either all fevered hyperbole from the press or internet randoms ranting about how terribly manufactured she is.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I in general don't like Beyonce and I only watched this because I liked the music video for "Formation" a lot. That said, I massively enjoyed this visual album from a film making perspective. There were a lot of visually interesting shots, the editing made everything flow fluidly, the messages, and my gosh do I love those southern antebellum costumes!

I didn't really care for the music as always, but I legit like "Daddy Lessons" and part of "Freedom" I can't remember which and can't check since it's been taken down off YouTube. If Beyonce did more blues music like in "Daddy Lessons" I would probably like her.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I don't know anything about this album but honestly I will always respect Beyonce for bringing us the glory that is some of the best 90s music ever in Destiny's Child.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Destiny's child helped me get through the last kilometer of my 5k telli g me "I'm a survivor, I'm going to make it" and I set a new PB record thanks to it

So thanks Beyonce, thanks.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Meh, I liked her well enough until she entered this half-assed quasi-political stage she's in right now.
    I like Kung-Fu.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

me and my partner are planning on watching it soon all the way through
    so far i haven't heard/seen any of it but it's on my list

edit: why does anyone mess with MIA tbh like they should know better

Ok I finally listened to it. I like the second track a lot (Hold up, the main sample is great) but the rest is seriously generic. The Weeknd feature is generic, the Kendrick verse is generic.. the second half of the album drops off pretty heavily. I was expecting something a lot fresher for all the talk about it, it's just really all very conventional

Also is literally every single track about Jay Z sleeping around? It's super grating. Girl, as if you didn't know what you were marrying, c'mon now

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Meh, I liked her well enough until she entered this half-assed quasi-political stage she's in right now.
    This post sounds suspiciously Piers Morgan-esque.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by sinuosity View Post
    Also is literally every single track about Jay Z sleeping around? It's super grating. Girl, as if you didn't know what you were marrying, c'mon now
    It's a concept album that is telling one particular story arc - so, yes?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've never been a big Beyonce fan.

That being said, I think Lemonade is smurfing genius and the visual album blew me away. I've watched it like 10 times. And can I just say, I love cursing Beyonce! Love!

I've had the whole album on repeat all day everyday. It's the only thing that has gotten me off my Hamilton kick. Smarter and better writers than I have already talked about all the implications of Lemonade and so I'll refrain from getting too much into that here.

I do think the angrier songs were a lot more impactful and frankly, fun to listen to and watch, than the reconciliation bits. I think there was a rawness and realness to the first half of the album (regardless of whether it's true to Beyonce's life) that kinda fizzled away into more manufactured elements of the "healing" songs.

Quote Originally Posted by sinuosity View Post

If that's all you took away from it, as opposed to a woman's own power, strength, vulnerability, historical racial traumas... you weren't really paying attention.
    Last edited by Miriel; 05-10-2016 at 11:11 AM.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Yikes, didn't mean to upend the Beyhive! I still liked it overall, but considering the hype I was pretty disappointed by the production on >80% of the tracks. Pop albums live or die by the production and there are only a couple of standouts (Hold up, Formation). The lyrics, considering the subject matter, are also too direct. I guess it's okay if every song's going to be about your boo sleeping around, but if that's the case then it needs to be a bit subtler, or the perspectives more orthogonal. The in-your-face character of the lyrics in every track is a bit much when it's about one topic.

Still a good album though!