Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
    I couldn't get through the trailer. I wanted to be excited for this.

I think seeing the enchanted servants in their CG forms is what killed this movie for me. I don't know what I expected...
    Yeah I was the same on my first watch, but then a few minutes later I thought to myself "why are you getting worked up over a CGI talking cup?" Not disparaging how you feel, just noting that I mentally laughed at myself for my own thoughts - which is something I haven't done in a while!

Being my 2nd favourite Disney Princess film, I had pretty high expectations for this. I wasn't really disappointed with the trailer (I actually think they've nailed it with Gaston, he really looks like an arrogant dudebro to me) and will deffo be going to the cinema for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Banana View Post
    I couldn't get through the trailer. I wanted to be excited for this.

I think seeing the enchanted servants in their CG forms is what killed this movie for me. I don't know what I expected...

On a side note, I recently went into a Disney store for the first time in a long time and noticed it was selling GASTON PLUSHIES. And they're so good! https://www.disneystore.com/plush-to...161117190402:s
    Oh, good, I'm not the only one.

It wasn't specifically the CG, I just thought a lot of it looked...bad.

The characters aren't nearly as expressive. Going for a more "realistic" view of the enchanted items mean that there isn't as much room for the over the top zaniness that infused the film with so much personality. It seems subdued and less engaging because of this.

It's clearly trying to mimic the original in a lot of areas (like Gaston's song), but it doesn't have the same life that the animated version had.

I am a bit interested that they appear to be drawing it closer to the story, with the father taking a flower (in the original, he betrayed the laws of hospitality after being the Beast's guest, a BIG no-no), and Beast making the offer for her to trade, rather than Belle volunteering.

But really, I think this is just going to be a pale imitation of my favorite Disney film.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I haven't even watched the trailer yet because the design I saw for Beast on the picture they posted on fb is just... not doing it for me.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

So glad that Disney is saying that not every castle servant was transformed into a object- that means that no poor soul transformed into the new castle toilet.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Honestly, I haven't even watched the trailer yet because the design I saw for Beast on the picture they posted on fb is just... not doing it for me.
    He looks too tame and friendly, and something that you would see out of a Twilight-esque teen romance novel. While in the original animated Disney movie, he was gruff, aggressive, lurked in the shadows and it was hinted that he even murdered some of his own staff hence why the West Wing was highly forbidden to Belle ( Not just for the Rose ). ( Look around the scene where you see The West Wing, damaged furniture and items everywhere, torn to shreds )

That's what made the original so good and magical, the fact that somebody could ever love a Beast like that and learn that there's good within him. And the TRUE Monster was the handsome town hero. The " Prince Charming ".

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

TRUE. I also liked the old design much more because it was basically all-animal with only the eyes looking human. This new beast is a weird mix of features all around, so the eyes just aren't that striking anymore.

I think the Beast is something that would be hard to do in a live-action film without making him too scary or ridiculous.

Though 'murdered some of his staff'? Wouldn't that completely ruin the film's message of 'don't judge on appearances'?

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I'm reasonably pleased with how he looks. I agree that the animated version is more spot on for the plot and the film's message, but ever since this movie was announced I was really worried about how he would end up looking in a live action film. I was sure he was going to either look completely retarded or completely repulsive. But they managed to make him look like neither of those things, so I'm okay with it.

I mean, he could have looked something like this...

I like Kung-Fu.

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post

Though 'murdered some of his staff'? Wouldn't that completely ruin the film's message of 'don't judge on appearances'?
    Not canon, though hinted that he could've murdered one or a few of them while in a "Beast rage ", true, though he was a Beast after all, and if Belle hadn't broken the curse, he would've lost full control of his emotions. Though again, hinted that he could've- and not canon.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I actually like Ron Perlman's Beast. Mostly because he's Ron Freakin' Perlman, who is as close to an irl Beast as you can get

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    I actually like Ron Perlman's Beast. Mostly because he's Ron Freakin' Perlman, who is as close to an irl Beast as you can get
    Holy crap, I had no idea that was him.
    I like Kung-Fu.