Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beauty and the Beast

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

The reviews are out now - some decent, some not so decent, pretty much the mixed reception I expected.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

The director said specifically that LeFou is gay and has feeling towards Gaston that vascilate between "wanting to be him" and "wanting to be with him" and would have a big moment.

I have nothing against gay villains as long as they aren't a trope. Hell, the book I just finished had a gay villain but was a typical evil villain that happened to be gay (wanted to tap the protagonist who was incidentally gay as well). However, if this is Disney's first "official" gay moment then it is weird to pick LeFou given their history of gay-coding villains. I am in no way saying it will be bad, hey it might work and be good, but I see potential for it just being the same old trout.

Quote Originally Posted by The Summoner of Leviathan View Post
    However, if this is Disney's first "official" gay moment then it is weird to pick LeFou given their history of gay-coding villains. I am in no way saying it will be bad, hey it might work and be good, but I see potential for it just being the same old trout.
    Never understood this- a few animated Disney villains were designed by a gay person. Andreas Deja, designed Gaston, Jafar and Scar- that's why they might come off as a bit "gay", because Deja is gay himself.

The only Disney villain I can think of maybe being "gay coded " is Ursula from the Little Mermaid, whom was based on a famous at the time Drag Queen, and maybe Captain Hook.

But Gaston, Jafar, Scar- they all were created a gay man.

Last edited by maybee; 03-04-2017 at 12:59 AM.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    All I know is I now have a lot of posts on Facebook of people refusing to see it specifically because there is a gay character, which is always sad to see.
    Let me guess, they're accusing it of being some kind of SJW movie.

This kind of thing annoys me, yes, I know that SJWs exist, and I'm sure they are indeed as annoying as people say, but it's also annoying that a writer can't include a single character who's even slightly diverse these days without their movie being accused of being SJW-Propaganda. Even having a strong female character seems to be a problem with these kind of people...

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    All I know is I now have a lot of posts on Facebook of people refusing to see it specifically because there is a gay character, which is always sad to see.
    Let me guess, they're accusing it of being some kind of SJW movie.
    Surprisingly, no, I've yet to see anyone say that, and I'm shocked. All I've seen so far is the religious angle, that a gay character in it = homosexual indoctrination tool = against the will of God = won't see because God wouldn't love me anymore.

I like Kung-Fu.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, I see. Well hopefully this is a sign that "SJW" won't be everyone's go-to assumption now.

Gaston was Disney predicting MRA types years in advance!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I am honestly surprised Disney made him gay to be honest. They had a giant money maker with this before the announcement yet since they mentioned it you now have divided your audience into 3.

The people who will watch it for Disney being brave to bring in a gay character.

The people like me who will watch it for the story that is classic and timeless

The people who will take a stand against it without watching it just to push their anti gay views down their throats.

Personally I always assumed that he may have been gay the way he would look at, and praises Gaston. This announcement never shocked me nor did it change my mind if I watch the movie or not, but I think it may flop as a result of them opening their mouth. I hope I am wrong though as the story itself is great.

It's not going to flop, only a few idiots will care about this (plus Russia, who have now given the film an adults-only rating apparently) and it will have a negligible effect on who goes to see it.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

The Christian and Muslims won't go to see it because of that stance. I see nothing but boycott all over. Really I know parents too that don't want to explain to their child yet about gay people so they will boycott too. It's not a small amount of people. It's a large chunk that don't really say anything or complain openly but they are there.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, I'd think it's more a vocal minority. Here in Poland, we are traditionally Catholic with a government with a very substantial right end at the moment. I haven't seen any controversy here, tbh, even though you'd expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    The Christian and Muslims won't go to see it because of that stance. I see nothing but boycott all over. Really I know parents too that don't want to explain to their child yet about gay people so they will boycott too. It's not a small amount of people. It's a large chunk that don't really say anything or complain openly but they are there.
    Watch as this film makes over a billion dollars (or close to it). Both recent Star Wars films had a few idiots declaring they'd boycott it, and that didn't stop them raking it in. Also, I suspect a lot of cinemagoers have heard nothing about this 'LeFou is gay!' stuff anyway

NOOOO OOOONNNEEE
    Gays like Gaston
    Loves to play like Gaston,
    Makes homophobes boycott and pray like Gaston!

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    The Christian and Muslims won't go to see it because of that stance.
    Christain here ! And would see a movie if there was a gay character/ gays characters in it, same with reading a book, watching a show or playing a game with non-het characters.

Not all of us stand in streets holding signs saying " If you like Dumbledore, you are going to hell ", and yes non- het Christians exist.
    '
    The wacky Christians, yeah, they will boycott for sure. Always believed that Jesus loves us, even if we are not straight, and it's not our right to judge.

I never watched a Disney movie in my life.
    ღმერთის შვილი შეეხო და მითხრა, რომ ანგელოზთა ფეხები მომეხია.