Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Beauty and the Beast

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I just got back from seeing it. It was very good, probably as good as a live-action film based on this story could be. Animation did it far better justice in my opinion, particularly during the scenes where the household objects are singing. But they did a great job with it and many scenes absolutely shined in this version (the ballroom dance, in particular).

The one thing that surprised me is that while every other song from the original film and the Broadway musical are present, "Human Again" is nowhere to be found. It's a very important piece of the original film and musical's history, so much so that they re-inserted it in one of the re-releases of the animated film complete with full animation and voice work years later, and the fact that it was left out, even with Alan Menken scoring the film, is baffling.

Also, the "gay moment" in question was so subtle I didn't even notice it until looking up what it actually was afterward. There were at least three other moments that were far less subtle, but even those were for comic relief and no more controversial or inappropriate than a Bugs Bunny in drag cartoon.
    Last edited by DMKA; 03-19-2017 at 12:31 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

As expected, mammoth opening weekend:

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-off...ce-1202011662/
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    As expected, mammoth opening weekend:

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-off...ce-1202011662/
    No surprise there. I'm happy that these live-action adaptations are enjoying so much success. I very much enjoy them for what they are. It's clear that the people who worked on this movie very much cared about what they were doing, so good for them.

Man, Disney is absolutely unstoppable right now. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Cars 3, Spiderman: Homecoming, Thor: Ragnarok, Coco, and Star Wars: The Last Jedi are all Disney productions that are still going to come out this year that no one even has to wonder whether they'll be roaring successes or not.
    I like Kung-Fu.

I haven't watched it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to the movies this weekend
    Life is as fun as you make it

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

#today

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna View Post
    #today
    Not in the mood for it #today Shauna

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

I don't care about your mood swings.

It was rather good. Ewan McGregor's terrible French accent was less grating after I got used to it. Which was really the most important thing.

Yuffie ate my avatar Sefie1999AD's Avatar

Some thoughts after the super fangirl mode / nostalgia hype mode has gone down a bit.

*SPOILER ALERT!*

First of all, the film was amazingly dark for a Disney movie. I know the original had wolves, and one of the characters shooting another character with an arrow and stabbing to the back, but with live action, the violence just felt more intense. The movie was also quite tear-jerking several times, being much more touching than the other recent live-acted Disney remakes I've seen. It was interesting that the parts I considered the saddest were different from the ones in the animated film. At times it felt like the Disney magic that can deeply touch you is back. I'd say most of this was thanks to Alan Menken's lovely songs and musical score, as well as the lovable cast of characters.

I'll start with the music first. The returning songs from the 1991 animated film were great, and the new orchestrations sounded more epic than ever before. Out of the new songs, "How does a moment last forever" was somewhat unmemorable, but the two songs that played later were better, especially "Days in the sun", while I think "Evermore" is the one that will get the most attention out of the new songs. No songs from the Broadway musical were present, but I was happy to hear that (SPOILER)an instrumental version of "Home" was included.

As for the characters, Emma Watson's singing could have been better, but when it comes to acting, I thought she was an excellent Belle. For her songs, her performances of "Belle" and "Belle (Reprise)" could have been stronger, but her singing seemed to get better as the movie went on, especially for the songs "Days in the sun" and "How does a moment last forever (Montmartre Reprise)". Oh, and Belle's costumes are just lovely. After seeing acted versions of Aurora and Cinderella (in Maleficent and Cinderella) as pleasant but ultimately flat characters who do virtually nothing in the story, it was nice to see a more independent protagonist. Belle is quite strong-willed as a character, to the point of being stubborn or even rude to the people around her. It's a nice touch added from the Broadway version how (SPOILER)Belle and Beast are both lonely and considered odd by the people around them, so they can relate to each other.

Gaston was another nice presentation of the "looks can deceive" theme. He seemed like a charming character at first, but later turned out to be a narcissistic douchebag. The way how he manipulates people with his powerful presence as the village hero suited his narcissistic character very well. It's funny how Beast (when he was still a prince) started off as a very similar character as Gaston, with the difference being the direction where their character development takes them, which brings us to the question: "What makes a monster and what makes a man?" (ŕ la Hunchback of Notre Dame). As for other characters, Lumičre was still a great character even with his accent, and it was great to see Ewan McGregor sing again, which I hadn't heard since Moulin Rouge. I've always considered Cogsworth a clumsy and annoying character, but Ian "Gandalf" McKellen managed to make him likable. The rest of the cast was enjoyable too.

As the movie is 45 minutes longer than the animated film, there's some extra character development that gives the characters more background and explains why they act the way they do. The movie also fixes many of the plotholes of the animated version. Most of these additions and changes work and add up to the story, but with a few exceptions. One of the things that especially worked was how (SPOILER)Gaston didn't throw Maurice out of the pub, but pretended to believe him and helped him on his attempt to rescue Belle, so that he could win the favor of Belle's father. Of the things that didn't work, however, do you remember how the animated movie had Maurice first trapped in the Beast's castle, and then Belle rejected Gaston and sang how she wants more than this provincial life? Well, on this film, these two events had been swapped, and the pacing felt odd when Belle reached her father only two minutes after he was taken prisoner in the movie. Another thing that I don't think worked as well was (SPOILER)when Belle looked at the magic mirror. In the animated film, she saw her father dying alone in the forest. Here she saw the townspeople threatening to take him to the insane asylum. I think the former evoked more feeling of danger, though to be fair, this fixes the "Why didn't Belle just take Maurice to the castle after finding him in the forest" problem in the animated film. For the most part, the movie stays loyal to the 1991 film, which is both a strength and a weakness. Since I am a huge fan of the animated movie, it was fantastic to see all the great moments again in live action, but as a downside, some things didn't translate too well. For example, the CGI looked strange at times, especially on flashy scenes like "Be Our Guest".

Was the 2017 remake better than the original, animated film from 1991? Of course not, you can't just beat the original. However, I thought it was still a worthy remake that blows the other recent live action remakes away, and in terms of character development and storyline, there are times when the remake even surpasses the original.
    People dislike FFIX because they're horrible idiots. - Kawaii Ryűkishi
    "One-Winged Angel" is far and away the best final boss song ever
    composed.
    - Kawaii Ryűkishi

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just saw it, and it was lovely. It really brought me back to performing it in high school, which was one of the more fun musicals I was in. It really captured the spirit of the original while still being its own thing. Really the only thing that took me out of the movie was my familiarity with the original. I'd expect certain lines and then they weren't there.

Overall, I'd say both the original and the live action remake are pretty close in quality to me. I thought I'd just think afterwards that it was good, but I'd rather just watch the cartoon; however, i know there will be times where I'll be in the mood for the live action one more.