Thread: Wakka's Popularity

Default Wakka's Popularity

Why exactly do the fans all call for Wakka at the end of the blitzball tournament? They don't know that it's his last game. And, leading up to the tournament, the game makes it very clear that the Aurochs have almost no fans. Even after watching Tidus perform the Jecht Shot, they call for Wakka to come back out. Is he that popular? Do the fans really just want to bring back the guy who's lost for a decade to make sure the Goers win? Did they not see that he was massively beat up in the last round?

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

The Aurochs appear to be fairly well known, and I imagine that they haven't changed their members too much. Maybe Wakka is fairly well known given this?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Spira has only a few teams really so the fans probably do know Wakka and the Aurochs. Plus this is the first time they actually won a game (!!!) and they were in the finals, so I think that the people in the audience wanted the dude who had been team captain all that time to finish off strong type of thing. Tidus is some weird newcomer but Wakka is the captain of the Aurochs, no matter how bad the team is. So when they finally get a success, they want it to be hi success.

That's always what I've thought anyway

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wakka was a good, aging player who stuck it out on a terrible team. There is almost always a sense of respect from all fans of sports for figures like that. If there was a chance the Aurochs were going to win that game then it wouldn't have been right if the best player they had over however many years wasn't out there, and the fans probably recognized that.

Also in very few things is the "Underdog Effect" more prevalent than in sports, so you have to remember that everyone who wasn't a Goers fan was probably rooting for the Aurochs, and Wakka was probably the only recognisable name for that team.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The fans cheer for him because Vince McMahon tries to bury him & force Letty on us.

I never really got that part either. Especially if you've already scored two goals with Tidus

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin View Post
    Spira has only a few teams really so the fans probably do know Wakka and the Aurochs. Plus this is the first time they actually won a game (!!!) and they were in the finals, so I think that the people in the audience wanted the dude who had been team captain all that time to finish off strong type of thing. Tidus is some weird newcomer but Wakka is the captain of the Aurochs, no matter how bad the team is. So when they finally get a success, they want it to be hi success.

That's always what I've thought anyway
    You have to look at the world of Spira beyond what's simply given to you in the story of FFX, and this is the only logical conclusion.

This was kind of the original Brock Osweiller substitution... like an alternate universe where Cam Newton was being benched for Peyton Manning.

What was confusing for me personally was the first time I played this, and I was BEATING the Goers when they benched me for Wakka

Oh well, the old vet deserved to go out on top!
    "The Save Sphere debacle of 2014: Never Forget"

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wakka, being 23, is essentially an old man by Final Fantasy standards and they wanted to make the old guy feel good about himself.