Thread: Podcasts!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Default Podcasts!

I've been listening to a lot of writing podcasts lately on my way to work. I have a half hour commute so it makes the drive much more tolerable.

Anyone have any fun podcasts they can recommend? I'll listen to near anything really!

I love podcasts. Shows I'm addicted t;

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre
    Distraction Pieces
    Adam Buxton's Podcast
    The Football Ramble
    Athletico Mince
    Vitriola
    Joe Rogan Experience
    BookShambles
    The Nerdist
    Me1 Vs Me2 Snooker
    Answer Me This

Thank you for your time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I can only guess on some of those! What are they all about?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Writing Excuses (I think that's what it is called) is a good one. It's by Brandon Sanderson and some other people. I was listening to those last year on the way to work and they had a ton of great info.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah that's my current obsession! Been listening to it a lot!

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This American Life - The Grandfather of all Podcasts as far as I'm concerned. If you want to rage HARD, listen to a recent episode called Anatomy of Doubt: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...atomy-of-doubt
    I was physically shaking in the car as I listened to this. Also great, the two part series on Harper High School, Giant Pool of Money, Fear of Sleep, and basically anything else on this list: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/favo...ther-favorites

Reply All - My current favorite. It's just consistently well produced, engaging, funny, or interesting. And I just really like the personalities of the two guys, Alex and PJ. As far as consistency goes, I can't think of another podcast that is so good so often as Reply All.

Another Round - Heben and Tracy! I seriously feel like these girls can be BFFs with me. I also really love that it's two women, women of color, absolutely crushing it in the podcast space while talking about feminist issues, issues of race and class, mental illness, anxiety, Beyonce. It's all great. They're hilarious, insightful, really great at doing interviews. Plus, they're as obsessed with Hamilton as I am.

Slate Culture Gabfest - The smartest people you'll ever listen to talking about random pop culture things. Movies, books, music. All really accessible things that we all consume, but these folks are just super whip smart and witty and can bust out ten dollar words and dissertations while still dropping f-bombs. It's better though if you listen to the episodes where you've already consumed the thing or it's a subject that interests you. Because otherwise you get spoiled and otherwise it tends to be a bit boring for me if they're talking about a show I've never watched. That being said, I had never heard of Hamilton until they discussed it on the show and their overwhelming praise is what got me to listen to it. I've gotten tons of great book, movie, and music recommendations through this podcast.

NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour - Similar to Slate's Culture Gabfest, but I don't like the hosts quite as much, although they're still good. And they're also less nitpicky than the Slate crew. But also a bit less witty.

On the Media - Really great interesting AND informative podcast on things happening in our world. Everything from politics to technology to the supreme court. It's always really fascinating, and I always feel like I've learned something important and vital. The kind of podcast you listen to and then you tell your friends about cause you want them to know all the smurfed up trout that's happening too.

Ted Radio Hour - Expands on various ted talks. If you can find episodes that interest you, this is a good one. Sometimes a bit boring though if you catch an episode that's kinda vague and not too interesting.

I listen to a ton more, but I don't want to list them all out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Oh miriel! thank you for all those suggestions! I will look into them. They sound lovely!

Podcasts are the best

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I'll never stop loving The Ricky Gervais Show. Cracks me up even if I've heard it 30 billion times.

Love BBC - In Our Time http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qykl

Will be checking out some of the recommendations in this thread!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I second This American Life, Reply All, and On the Media.

Some others I really enjoy:

Freakanomics Radio - It's not just for Econ nerds, though it is great if you like economics. I would say the stories are more geared towards sociatal issues than economic ones.

Radio Lab - If you like This American Life, Radiolab is very similar as it is about real people's stories. They also delve into history and science.

Hardcore History with Dan Carlin - Started off as a one-off show where Dan talked about his take on one subject, but it has evolved into a narrative doing deep dives into historical subjects that is discussed no where else. Start with one of his better series like Wrath of Khans and or the WWI one and see what you think.

Common Sense with Dan Carlin - Dan does another show which is more political and he has an interesting take on the politics of the day. He is neither Democrat or Republican and is more libertarian if anything. His theories can be out there at times but he's always entertaining.

99% Invisible - This is a really popular one. It calls itself a show about design but it's really about how humans shape the world. This one grows on you.

Others: Imaginary Worlds, Surprisingly Awesome, Invisibilia, Mystery Show

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum