Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2016-17 NHL thread

Blog Entries

Default The 2016-17 NHL thread

I don't know if there is an active hockey thread, or if there is anyone interested. Yet there has been some noticeable Canadians around this forum, which does give me some hope.

My favourite team is Toronto Maple Leafs, it's where I grew up therefore I support the team. Needless to say, that is what I will be posting about. If there is anyone in this thread who has another team or just general NHL news to post about, please do so.

So tonight is the game vs. Pittsburgh, Sid the Kid (Sidney Crosby) with Malkin and the loser Phil Kessel (he used to be a Leaf).

We will see how this game pans out, I mean the Penguins are a top notch team. The Leafs are a young albeit talented team that has kept the numbers low on GA (Goals against), also on scoring their own goals as well. As of late the Leafs have been losing shootouts which could be for a number of reasons.

Also, the Florida panthers have been dealing with coaching problems, and Las Vegas has a brand new team that will start next season (which will be called the Vegas Golden Knights), and will have a rather peculiar method to start their dynasty.
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’
    “Fix the cause, not the symptom.” – Steve Maguire

Quote Originally Posted by jenovajunkie View Post
    the loser Phil Kessel
    How can you call yourself a Leafs fan, and think of Phil as a loser?

Kessel was the only player that made the Leafs a somewhat watchable team even when they were godawful. He only missed 12 games in his first season with the Leafs because of a shoulder injury. After that he dressed for every single game the entire six years he spent with the team. He put in work. He was our highest scorer in every area. And despite all the bulltrout he put up with from ridiculous Leafs "fans" like yourself, he always showed up and always gave it his best effort.

The dude loves Toronto. He brought the Stanley Cup to the Sick Kids hospital for christ's sake. He beat cancer. He was our best player for six years.

Phil Kessel is anything but a loser. And I'm kind of disgusted that someone who thinks they're a Leafs fan would call him that.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post
    the loser Phil Kessel
    How can you call yourself a Leafs fan, and think of Phil as a loser?

Kessel was the only player that made the Leafs a somewhat watchable team even when they were godawful. He only missed 12 games in his first season with the Leafs because of a shoulder injury. After that he dressed for every single game the entire six years he spent with the team. He put in work. He was our highest scorer in every area. And despite all the bulltrout he put up with from ridiculous Leafs "fans" like yourself, he always showed up and always gave it his best effort.

The dude loves Toronto. He brought the Stanley Cup to the Sick Kids hospital for christ's sake. He beat cancer. He was our best player for six years.

Phil Kessel is anything but a loser. And I'm kind of disgusted that someone who thinks they're a Leafs fan would call him that.
    And I'm kind of disgusted that you dismiss his play and handling of the press. Just because you do good, and I do note his great deeds. But here in Toronto he didn't (at least to me) wasn't a reason to watch the Leafs.

How is it that out of everything I posted, you just comment on the Phil Kessel comment? Nothing else, I've also never heard of him having Cancer.
    Last edited by jenovajunkie; 12-18-2016 at 02:50 AM.
    Creativity is certainly about not being constrained by rules or accepting the restrictions that society places on us. Of course the more people break the rules, the more likely they are to be perceived as ‘mentally ill’

And I'm kind of disgusted that you dismiss his play and handling of the press. Just because you do good, and I do note his great deeds. But here in Toronto he didn't (at least to me) wasn't a reason to watch the Leafs.

How is it that out of everything I posted, you just comment on the Phil Kessel comment? Nothing else, I've also never heard of him having Cancer.
    "dismiss his play"

He was the leading scorer for Toronto all six seasons he played here. He was nearly a point per game player, and easily the best player to ever play for the Leafs since Sundin retired. Don't know how much more you could possibly expect of someone who literally carried the team's offense single-handedly.

"handling of the press"

The same press that suggested he was lazy, overweight and ate a lot of hotdogs? The only time I recall he ever said anything bad about the media was when they were giving Dion grief for a loss. He called them "embarrassing." And he was right, because they mistreated Dion during his time here. Phil stood up for his captain. That not only makes him a great person but an even better teammate.

Phil had testicular cancer. Calling someone who went through that a "loser" is incredibly offensive.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

I will say Go to my Trouty Canucks! Their D line is young, and end up making a few mistakes, also the Sedin's need to stop passing the puck and shoot once in a while. But I am happy with some of the talent coming up. We have some great players like Horvat, Stecher, and Tryamkin who are looking solid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffington View Post

"dismiss his play"

He was the leading scorer for Toronto all six seasons he played here. He was nearly a point per game player, and easily the best player to ever play for the Leafs since Sundin retired. Don't know how much more you could possibly expect of someone who literally carried the team's offense single-handedly.

"handling of the press"

The same press that suggested he was lazy, overweight and ate a lot of hotdogs? The only time I recall he ever said anything bad about the media was when they were giving Dion grief for a loss. He called them "embarrassing." And he was right, because they mistreated Dion during his time here. Phil stood up for his captain. That not only makes him a great person but an even better teammate.

Phil had testicular cancer. Calling someone who went through that a "loser" is incredibly offensive.
    Dion got a lot of trout socially, amongst the fans. The media crapped all over Dion what are you talking about? Just because Kessel was the leading scorer, that doesn't mean that his play on the ice was great. Did Phil ever speak up for Nazeem Kadri, you don't want to argue that; trust me. If you think Phil Kessel carried the Leafs, well look at how they did; it was more than a single player. There's also Tyler Bozak, James van Riemsdyk, Joeffry Lupul (at the time). What about the defensive players? Answering to the media and playing your game despite what they say is what a star should be capable of. Kadri is a big example of that, he took trout from management, the press and the fans but he still produces.

Can we consider his game play and not his stats? I can tell you right now that he wasn't the team offensively. You're looking at a stat, and judging his overall play? There are so many other players that contributed to the team in a positive manner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FFNut View Post
    I will say Go to my Trouty Canucks! Their D line is young, and end up making a few mistakes, also the Sedin's need to stop passing the puck and shoot once in a while. But I am happy with some of the talent coming up. We have some great players like Horvat, Stecher, and Tryamkin who are looking solid.
    The Sedans need to shoot, for the love of god shoot. Maybe they aren't presented with the right opportunities though. I have to say when Ryan Miller left that was a big hole to fill, Luongo did a very good job imo. I don't think the Canucks are troutty, I mean they're bad; they have things they can work on.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

Ya the Canucks have a lot of things they can do better. They are all fairly young too. I like what I am seeing coming up.

Dion I think is a good D-man, but fairly over rated. Toronto were ripped off for him on the trade. He is a NHL D-man, but he wasn't an elite top line guy.

The he guy I thought got the worst like in Toronto was Schen. He was put into an impossible position, and needed time to develop. He is in Arizona this year not doing to badly, but helping the young kids there.

Blog Entries

Schenn is a great player, he was a player that did really well as a leaf. I think Dion was alright, I mean given the shape of the entire organization at the time. Although I don't know those trades may have made way for better players on both ends.

Although seeing how the pieces do fit makes your play a lot better in most sports, there comes a time when you got to be selfish; in regards to developing as an athlete.

Dion got a lot of trout socially, amongst the fans. The media crapped all over Dion what are you talking about? Just because Kessel was the leading scorer, that doesn't mean that his play on the ice was great. Did Phil ever speak up for Nazeem Kadri, you don't want to argue that; trust me. If you think Phil Kessel carried the Leafs, well look at how they did; it was more than a single player. There's also Tyler Bozak, James van Riemsdyk, Joeffry Lupul (at the time). What about the defensive players? Answering to the media and playing your game despite what they say is what a star should be capable of. Kadri is a big example of that, he took trout from management, the press and the fans but he still produces.

Can we consider his game play and not his stats? I can tell you right now that he wasn't the team offensively. You're looking at a stat, and judging his overall play? There are so many other players that contributed to the team in a positive manner.
    Dion was unfairly burdened in Toronto. He pretty much carried the defense when we had a lot of offensive defenseman like Gardiner and Franson on the roster. Not only was he our captain, but he was our #1 defenseman. That's a lot of pressure for one person to handle, and you don't need the media on your ass every night on top of that. Some nights he definitely deserves the blame, but there were far too many times that the media was just asking him ridiculous, borderline rude questions. That's why Phil stood up for his captain. To draw pressure away from him. The two are great friends, and great teammates.

"just because Kessel was the leading scorer doesn't mean his play on the ice was great."

I don't really understand how you could possibly argue otherwise. He was a .88 PPG player for the Leafs, which is insanely good. Some of our other best players during his time don't even approach that number. Kadri has been a .60 PGG player during his time with Toronto, and JVR is a .71 PPG. So the stats indicate he was the best point performer for the Leafs. Points are the only number that matter, sure. His defensive game was bad. But that isn't the kind of player he is. Patrick Kane isn't expected to be a defensive stalwart for the Blackhawks. He's a point-producer. And he does his job. Just like Kessel.

Prior to this season, Kadri has been kind of reckless. I recall he skipped a practice a few seasons ago and was rightly disciplined for it. I don't know what there is for Phil to "stand up" for Kadri for. And Phil did answer to the media. I don't really know what you're talking about.

There were other players that contributed to the Leafs, but Kessel produced the most. He was our best player by a significant margin.

Pull my Devil Trigger!

Blog Entries

Undoubtedly, he was a great player on the Leafs initially, but there were a lot of interviews prior to his trade that did show other wise. If you want I we can continue this discussion else where, I don't agree with you; and I will not because of what I saw and watched.

I don't think of him as a team player, ultimately he may have got bad coaching or whatever. Just him as a player wasn't too team oriented. Kadri missed practise, but that wasn't all that people complained about, and all that media just bombarded him with.

Never matter, the Leafs have lost against Randy Carlyle and the Anaheim Ducks. Didn't even follow it all but that is what happened at the end. It's almost Christmas time so not much is happening right now.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

My Canucks got the win last night! Though they gave up the first goal again. That makes 25-33 games they surrendered the first goal of the game. They shut down Patrik Laine and the Jets after that though, with a 4-1 win!

Blog Entries

The Leafs may be looking to trade JVR, Nylander; do you think there will bee any takers?

I was just thinking about when the Canucks had Luongo as a goalie, and when they had Miller. They were one of the hardest teams to score on.

FFXIV Character

Nutty Eoff (Sargatanas)

We still have Miller, he starts tonight. The goalie thing with Luongo wasn't a great thing. He took it well with a good humour jest, yet it wasn't a great. They rebuilt the back line and that is why they are easier to score on now. Oldest guy back there is 26 with Edler out of the lineup.

As as for the Leafs I don't think it would be easy to move JVR due to contract and price of return being high. Nylander on the other hand... You will get a return back, and he has enough upside to make teams take a good hard look and a gamble on him. I'd toss my hat in the ring for him if I was a GM. It also depends on what the Leafs value his price at.

Blog Entries

Well we will see, maybe the Leafs acquire some veteran talent for JVR. I honestly don't think too hard about the trade potential, lol I think the Leafs need some power on D now. Although the game is low scoring all around, *shrugs*.