Thread: Couldn't Sense

Default Couldn't Sense

Sense Materia. It's pretty good and useful and I like it, just like I love Scan and all other equivalent abilities in RPGs.

However, as I'm sure you all have, eventually the thing becomes useless in this particular game. I used to think it was some intentional game flaw, to keep things difficult. Later bosses aren't going to have obvious weaknesses listed out for your or whatever.

However, according to a modder I was just reading, it is literally impossible to Sense a monster with more than 65,000 HP. The game just plain can't display it. It will show a wrong number if you try to hack it.

So, good job Square. You screwed up so bad, not even the modding community can fix it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure you have it backwards. They never intended for you to be able to sense monsters with more than 30000 HP, so enemies with more than 2 bytes of HP are out by default, no reason to write unnecessary code that would allow for it.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Empty your mind, unlearn what you learn, then you will be able to sense.

The actual limit is 65,535. This is the 16-bit binary limit, and it is impossible for this value to be exceeded if only 16 bits are allocated. It would be like trying to exceed 255 Strength. Impossible, as 255 is the 8bit binary limit, and to exceed 255 would mean spilling into the next byte along, which is Vitality. It just isn't possible.

You should learn a little bit about why the game is constructed the way it is before making criticism (or any game for that matter).
    Last edited by DynamixDJ; 07-25-2016 at 08:50 PM.